Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    My chemistry teacher gave me a very nice hug :yep:

(just thought i'd share that with you)
    :jiggy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Oh my co-ordination is off after an evening of drinking, I was a hilarious sight on the way back from france, I walked into the coach instead of stepping on it, luckily though I didn't have a headache.

Ice-cream shots? :teeth:
    and i do the whole falling over and feeling like i'm falling thing. although yesterday i fell over before i'd even drunk anything, so that was smart.
    jelly shots are nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    My Chemistry teacher said "Well done" and I said "its not a "Well done " John, its a bloody failure" I want to blame him for his teaching but I rrealise that I can't - no matter how crappy it was I still should done done better by myself, simply because we are all responsible for ourselves :stupido:
    My Biology teacher was very sweet though, he is my favourite :love:

P.S What was your offer @ Exeter and what grades did you get?
    She said, if you'd talked less you'd have got a better A. I said that lessons would have been dull then.

Offer at Exeter was 3 A's, I got 3 A's :yep:

ReputationRep:
    "oops sir, I appear to have dropped my pen" *BAM*

ReputationRep:
    That's just wrong, and now i've got that image in my head :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in General Studies by 7 UMS marks. I was chuffed. :woo:

Ice-cream shots? :teeth:
    Well, flavoured vodka. :p: There's a vodka bar in town that serves trays of six mixed shots for 6 quid, so that's usually where our evenings wind up. It's a case of dodging the chilli shots though, as they burn like hell. The After Eight mint one is awesome. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    That does sound pretty bad actually. Few at my school were a bit like that.
    The course work thing sound pretty bad, even worse than our chem last year. And apparently exams are not getting easier, kids have been getting smarter year on year for 27 years :rolleyes:
    Some maybe, however I didn't find my A-levels easy. Exams in general are getting more managable. I had to do a speech for a gentleman's organisation a few months ago when revising for my A-levels and they said, comparitively to the way the youth were when they were in school, myself and the other people who had to do the speeches were extremely confident and eloquent.

Also, A-levels back then were pretty much impossible, what's the point in making them like that? You do get the ridiculous courses now, but I don't think it's fair to say they're getting easier in the respect that they're now becoming worthless compared to back then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyferret)
    "oops sir, I appear to have dropped my pen" *BAM*
    It was a woman actually :eviltongue:

And my other chemistry teacher was too short (in height) (though that doesn't always bother me) but he was also vegetarian (which also doesn't always bother me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Intelligence didn't really come into it. There was no independent thoughts, interpretation, or understanding involved. It was just stating rigidly and without creativity certain lines. And that should favour those who revise, not the bright.
    Sounds like a stock bio exam tbh

Who said that?
    Your school was clearly very good at teaching you, however some schools aren't like that. You can't go in just "knowing" things without having known some of it first, so if Jonny knew things despite not revising that the others didn't when they did revise, they don't have a lot of hope.
    Good point. I would assume that either they were lying about how much they did/didnt do it effectively

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    She said, if you'd talked less you'd have got a better A. I said that lessons would have been dull then.

Offer at Exeter was 3 A's, I got 3 A's :yep:
    Congratulations!
    I want to kick myself for getting ABB when I could get AAA. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    That does sound pretty bad actually. Few at my school were a bit like that.
    The course work thing sound pretty bad, even worse than our chem last year. And apparently exams are not getting easier, kids have been getting smarter year on year for 27 years :rolleyes:
    The coursework was an embarrassment, there was 1 mark out of 40 that was for actually using your brain to link ideas and evaluate the information. It pisses me off because it devalues other marks that I worked hard for. Comparatively for the same amount of UMS marks in Physics I did a 3 month investigation with no assistance, that didn't work 12 times and I had to work out why, before trying to fix the problem and just encountering another, which culminated in an 80-page write up. And they shouldn't be equal. At all.

ReputationRep:
    Some maybe, however I didn't find my A-levels easy. Exams in general are getting more managable. I had to do a speech for a gentleman's organisation a few months ago when revising for my A-levels and they said, comparitively to the way the youth were when they were in school, myself and the other people who had to do the speeches were extremely confident and eloquent.

Also, A-levels back then were pretty much impossible, what's the point in making them like that? You do get the ridiculous courses now, but I don't think it's fair to say they're getting easier in the respect that they're now becoming worthless compared to back then.
    I never said worthless but you have said they were impossible before so they have got worse. The bit that irks me is the number of resits you can do

ReputationRep:
    I never said worthless but you have said they were impossible before so they have got worse. The bit that irks me is the number of resits you can do
    Nah, I was talking about the newspapers.

Yeah, the number of resits you can do needs to be stopped, like my friend retook one unit 3 times. But that's not the norm for A-level students to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to resit :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    The coursework was an embarrassment, there was 1 mark out of 40 that was for actually using your brain to link ideas and evaluate the information. It pisses me off because it devalues other marks that I worked hard for. Comparatively for the same amount of UMS marks in Physics I did a 3 month investigation with no assistance, that didn't work 12 times and I had to work out why, before trying to fix the problem and just encountering another, which culminated in an 80-page write up. And they shouldn't be equal. At all.
    Tbh that's a huge cw from yours. Coursework for us was 30-40 pages tops (though only do it if resitting at our school :rolleyes: )
    It is a joke though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    I'm going to resit :o:
    Have you already resat most of the modules already?

Nah, I was talking about the newspapers.

Yeah, the number of resits you can do needs to be stopped, like my friend retook one unit 3 times. But that's not the norm for A-level students to be honest.
    1/2 in quite a few modules is common though.

ReputationRep:
    I retook almost everything in June of my second year. 21 exams in total :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyferret)
    I retook almost everything in June of my second year. 21 exams in total :cool:
    :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Also AVAM if you want to resit anything and you were on the old spec I think only the A2 modules are available for the final time in January. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Have you already resat most of the modules already?

1/2 in quite a few modules is common though.
    I did 2 resits overall.
    It's quite fair usually, you can have an off day and just want a safety net. I didn't even need the resits, in the end, but it's safer and I don't think it made it easier, you still have to sit the exams.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.