Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    I'm in The News, double page spread XD
    I wanna see!

ReputationRep:
    Did anybody go on a med school interview course? Having 3 interviews and no offers has led me to think that my interview technique is poor... I don't want to leave anything to chance this time. I found a course from "Dr.Prep" which is £295.. for a day! It obviously seems very steep but if I know such a course will help my chances then I'll go on it. Any experiences (yours or friends)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelly^2)
    Did anybody go on a med school interview course? Having 3 interviews and no offers has led me to think that my interview technique is poor... I don't want to leave anything to chance this time. I found a course from "Dr.Prep" which is £295.. for a day! It obviously seems very steep but if I know such a course will help my chances then I'll go on it. Any experiences (yours or friends)?
    :zomg:

I think that sounds like a total waste, imho.

Just be yourself, relax and answer questions the way you want to answer them, not the way you should answer them. I know so many people who are just so robotic in interviews, reciting answers that they've learned from books/pricey courses and not securing offers.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    :zomg:

I think that sounds like a total waste, imho.

Just be yourself, relax and answer questions the way you want to answer them, not the way you should answer them. I know so many people who are just so robotic in interviews, reciting answers that they've learned from books/pricey courses and not securing offers.

Good luck!
    I thought it did too.

I was so nervous at my interviews. I was torn between saying what I thought they wanted to hear and saying what I thought. Does anybody know what they want to hear anyway?! I just can't help thinking it's what let me down and I thought this was the best place to ask seeing as some of you had several offers!

ReputationRep:
    I thought it did too.

I was so nervous at my interviews. I was torn between saying what I thought they wanted to hear and saying what I thought. Does anybody know what they want to hear anyway?! I just can't help thinking it's what let me down and I thought this was the best place to ask seeing as some of you had several offers!
    You have to be realistic about things at interview, if you get what I mean. Not everyone does medicine for the same reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it did too.

i think that there's some questions where you've got to try your best to be diplomatic, eg. 'why not nursing?' and so you'll end up telling them what they want to hear. the nerves are horrible, but i suppose that one upside is that next year, you'll know what to expect so it won't be so daunting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotusx)
    i think that there's some questions where you've got to try your best to be diplomatic, eg. 'why not nursing?' and so you'll end up telling them what they want to hear. the nerves are horrible, but i suppose that one upside is that next year, you'll know what to expect so it won't be so daunting.
    This is very true. Last time I think I was so overcome by the nerves, and by the time I had settled in the interview was over. You spend so long going over the possible situations at interview in your head. It's not like I wasn't chatty but I think I just didn't get to the point quickly enough!

ReputationRep:
    I thought it did too.

I'm useless at interviews (hence my two failures when I applied) and the only reason I got into UEA is because someone had given me a list of questions I might be asked, allowing me to think about how best to answer in my own time in case they came up at interview :o: So I could give you lots of info on how to answer UEA interview questions but I guess you probably won't be applying here so I won't be much use :p:

ReputationRep:
    And also, is it just me, or do other people also think that this forum has far too many stickies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    I'm useless at interviews (hence my two failures when I applied) and the only reason I got into UEA is because someone had given me a list of questions I might be asked, allowing me to think about how best to answer in my own time in case they came up at interview :o: So I could give you lots of info on how to answer UEA interview questions but I guess you probably won't be applying here so I won't be much use :p:
    I'm actually seriously considering UEA, perhaps on the false hope that the fact I've done voluntary at the NNUH might help things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    And also, is it just me, or do other people also think that this forum has far too many stickies?
    I will be removing the results day stickies and the medic awards stickies over the next day or so :yep: (definitely too many at the moment!)

ReputationRep:
    It does have a fair few, but I quite like the array of colours that greets you when you go on the first page :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually seriously considering UEA, perhaps on the false hope that the fact I've done voluntary at the NNUH might help things?
    UEA is a lovely place :yep: (happy to answer any questions and provide any help you want )
    Don't know whether voluntary at NNUH will help or not :dontknow: Very possible you'll have come across some of the interviewers while you're there though :p:

ReputationRep:
    I will be removing the results day stickies and the medic awards stickies over the next day or so :yep: (definitely too many at the moment!)
    Mmm, definitely. I mean, there's one for people who got in, one for people who didn't make it, one for AS results (wtf...) and some random award one... all of which, I think are somewhat unnecessary.

I mean, if those are stickied, then you may as well sticky this thread.

It makes the whole forum a nightmare to navigate.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, definitely. I mean, there's one for people who got in, one for people who didn't make it, one for AS results (wtf...) and some random award one... all of which, I think are somewhat unnecessary.

I mean, if those are stickied, then you may as well sticky this thread.

It makes the whole forum a nightmare to navigate.
    They're just temp ones (I hate having more than 2/3 stickies :yep:) in the hope that people would post in the correct place instead of starting new threads (which of course happened anyway :rolleyes:) but the number will go down very soon

ReputationRep:
    UEA is a lovely place :yep: (happy to answer any questions and provide any help you want )
    Don't know whether voluntary at NNUH will help or not :dontknow: Very possible you'll have come across some of the interviewers while you're there though :p:

Aaah UEA, seems such a long time I was thinking whether I'd get in there.. Turned out they thought I was average in every respect :p:

ReputationRep:
    I thought it did too.

I remember just before my first interview, (KCL), I was in a room with about 20 sweaty, panicky teens all reading from that blue interview book feverishly. I remember going in empty-handed and just saying to myself: '**** it. There's no point panicking. I'll do what I can do, even if it's not enough.'

Went into the interview room with that mentality and the 40ish minutes that ensued was just a lovely, natural conversation with the interviewers where we just babbled on about anything, everything tbh.

Be yourself and keep control. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    My last shift at work is soon, I told them I was leaving today :eek:
    I guess this is actually happening then :eek: This week has been rather overwhelming with random events actually...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoSuis)
    I feel your pain:o:

And I'm supposed to be going out tonight again, but I don't want to anymore

And I fell down a flight of stone steps earlier and have badly hurt my foot
    yeah. me too. to the same place.

hell no.

**** i have never had such a bad night. [well after all the drinking.]

my mom is making fun of me.......

(Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    Awwwwwwww, drink lots of water if you can? Dont know what else I can suggest. Russians drink the water from pickled gherkins/cucumbers to relieve hangover, ever tried that (I like it for its taste but never drank it as a hangover remedy)? Sounds crazy, but apparently it helps
    yeah, i did. lol russians.

i think it's bcause of the salt... apparntly salt helps? idk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    It does have a fair few, but I quite like the array of colours that greets you when you go on the first page :p:
    Yes, but given the number of announcements and stickies... it's an eye sore. Plus, there's no system/rationale to the colours - they appear to be assigned random colours.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.