Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bottfly7)
    Mine was like this too- we all had a massive chat beforehand, all asked how everyone did when they came back, and all walked to the tube station together. My nicest interview by far. Stark contrast: at Manchester no-one wanted to talk to anyone, even though that was basically the point of the PBL style interview!!
    Yeah everyone was really friendly, it was amazing. It made it doubly gutting when I thought I wouldn't get in, but when I did get in... :woo:
    Out of curiosity, what month was your interview in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Yeah everyone was really friendly, it was amazing. It made it doubly gutting when I thought I wouldn't get in, but when I did get in... :woo:
    Out of curiosity, what month was your interview in?
    December 9th. Was my first interview for my first choice. I was pretty scared!! You?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't like to do that in my town :teeth:
    Why not? :confused:

Think we're gonna be doing Kings Cross :party:

ReputationRep:
    December 9th. Was my first interview for my first choice. I was pretty scared!! You?
    It was my first interview for my first choice too! And mine was in February, I think it was the 4th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)

Well it's quite rough, I get enough abuse at work and I'm just taking their orders.

ReputationRep:
    They'd grab me and hold me down by the McFlurry machine, smacking my head wildly against the opening... all because I forgot to offer them a receipt. :emo:
    Oh. Ouch.

:console:

ReputationRep:

So you talk to people who don't like you, about a subject they don't want to talk about, until you are well and truely hated. Then you ask for their bank account details. I couldn't do that!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Mmm, definitely. I mean, there's one for people who got in, one for people who didn't make it, one for AS results (wtf...) and some random award one... all of which, I think are somewhat unnecessary.

I mean, if those are stickied, then you may as well sticky this thread.

It makes the whole forum a nightmare to navigate.
    But people must learn of my most prestigious award! (and the main reason I have comring on to 2x you post count) :p:

How are you? I assume you are in

ReputationRep:
    So you talk to people who don't like you, about a subject they don't want to talk about, until you are well and truely hated. Then you ask for their bank account details. I couldn't do that!!
    The practice runs we had at interview seemed okay :blush:

ReputationRep:
    ohmygod. my ears are splitting. x factor is painful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Awesome. Well, thanks!

I'll coach you for £294. :beard:

In all seriousness, don't go to it. You can't be coached for interviews in my opinion, and they'll spend the day giving you vague advice and an awful lot of nonsense (such as dress, visual cues, pausing before any answer to make you seem thoughtful) that will only probably make you feel more nervous on the day. I didn't go to any interview courses, and I don't think they would have helped.

My best piece of advice - just relax. Convince yourself it's not a big deal, they'll either like you or they won't. If you are calm and able to build up a rapport, you're already doing better than 90% of the scared neurotic applicants they've seen. You'll also be better at thinking and answering their questions. It's not something you can really be taught to do either, but you could improve it by putting yourself in high pressure situations just to try and accustom yourself for it. For example, go back to your school and try to give a talk to people applying for the next cycle. You might start off nervous but over the course of it it will do wonders for your confidence. And it will be free.

I think the reason I do well at interviews is that I have a weird attitude towards them. I see it not as a hurdle to jump, or something that I have to impress people at, but a chance for me to see if the place is right for me. So this has the double effect of both making me excited and look forward to them, and also taking the pressure off (because I don't have to impress them). Interviews are a chance for the university to see if you're right for them, so if you're rejected it's not necessarily a bad thing - it just means that place isn't right for you.

Finally, just be yourself. What's the point in pretending you're something you're not, getting a place on a course for that persona, and then spending the next 6 years miserable because it's not right for you?

Hope that helps.
    Made me feel a whole lot better about the situation, thanks Jonny... you're a babe!

ReputationRep:
    ADREAM becoming a chugger make me lose respect for you :sigh:

I tend to run away from them (I have been chased before)

Not as bad as one of my friends though who when asked about whether he would like to donate said he would prefer to spend it on petrol :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotusx)
    ohmygod. my ears are splitting. x factor is painful.
    :ditto:

Show some people who can actually sing, please!

ReputationRep:
    The practice runs we had at interview seemed okay :blush:
    You must be a natural!

ReputationRep:
    Oops. My telling of my petty warning (posting a perfectly harmless thread about my Student Finance situation in the Money+Finance forum) here results in me being warned again.

:rolleyes:

Out for the night anyways, bye!

(Original post by Degausser)
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Oops. My telling of my petty warning (posting a perfectly harmless thread about my Student Finance situation in the Money+Finance forum) here results in me being warned again.

:rolleyes:

Out for the night anyways, bye!
    you know it's against the rules

and we dont have a conspiracy against you ...... meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    :ditto:

Show some people who can actually sing, please!
    well, the essex girl's made up for the howlers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotusx)
    well, the essex girl's made up for the howlers!
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    ADREAM becoming a chugger make me lose respect for you :sigh:

I tend to run away from them (I have been chased before)

Not as bad as one of my friends though who when asked about whether he would like to donate said he would prefer to spend it on petrol :rofl:
    To draw attention, we have to do some pretty crazy stuff apparently

...dressing up in (albeit terrible) funky outfits/dancing/singing/playing weird instruments etc

Can't wait! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HiBear)
    you know it's against the rules

and we dont have a conspiracy against you ...... meh.
    Posting a harmless thread about Money + Finance in the Money + Finance forum against some sort of TSR Rule? :yy:

Not hitting out against you or anything :no: :console:

I'm beginning to not really give a crap anymore

Anyways, bye for now guys

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.