Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    Haha, I absolutely hate the german accent - went on a trip 2 summers ago and it was probably the single most irritating thing about it all :p:
    I met some German people at vitalise last year. One of them was cool, the other was a douche. The accent was weird though :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    I met some German people at vitalise last year. One of them was cool, the other was a douche. The accent was weird though :p:
    All I remember is disgusting amounts of beer and 'Ich bin keine spieche Englische yaaaaaah?!' uttered by almost everyone there....

[No way is that spelling right, but i think it means ''I can't speak English, yaaaaaaaah?'' or does it? :dontknow:

There was this one German guy at the oxford interviews (applying for engineering or something, i think) who I could literally hardly understand at all - I could only feel for the admission tutors :console:

Haha, according to that logic, I'd say 1/2 of the German population are cool, the other 1/2 are smarses :p:

ReputationRep:
    I really want the over exaggerated British Accent that Americans seem to think we all have :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FFCrusader)
    I really want the over exaggerated British Accent that Americans seem to think we all have :p:
    Did you see the videos? :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Did you see the videos? :teeth:
    You mean the ones with the american lady who made an accent no one sounds like? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I noticed it in "101 Dalmatians"- they all spoke like characters from P.G Wodehouse novels :p:

ReputationRep:
    May have got slightly drunk last night, and done things I really shouldn't have done :o:

Luckily friends saw the funny side of it the next morning :p:

ReputationRep:
    Or like Julie Andrews in Sound of Music. She's so...'oh yes, i can sing a song all about bread and jam and inspire your children!'

ReputationRep:
    ACDE in maths, chemistry, biology and physics respectively, with re-sits I could make it AAAB.
    should I give up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaRgEgIrL)
    ACDE in maths, chemistry, biology and physics respectively, with re-sits I could make it AAAB.
    should I give up?
    No. Keep plugging away, you can do it :top:

ReputationRep:
    You mean the ones with the american lady who made an accent no one sounds like? :p:
    Yes :gah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    May have got slightly drunk last night, and done things I really shouldn't have done :o:

Luckily friends saw the funny side of it the next morning :p:
    Pics or it didnt happen! What exactly did you do , naughty Citrus? :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    No. Keep plugging away, you can do it :top:
    Realistically will any uni even bother looking at my ucas form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaRgEgIrL)
    Realistically will any uni even bother looking at my ucas form?
    If you dont cash them in they wont see. Alternatively if you cant do that you can wait untill you complete your A2s and apply with grades in hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    Pics or it didnt happen! What exactly did you do , naughty Citrus? :teeth:
    I just got a little too close to people I reeeeally shouldn't have. I mean, I jumped on one guy's back and tickled him till he fell over, and lets not go into detail about how close I got with the other guy :o:

ReputationRep:
    I just got a little too close to people I reeeeally shouldn't have. I mean, I jumped on one guy's back and tickled him till he fell over, and lets not go into detail about how close I got with the other guy :o:
    :awesome: Don't worry, citrus, I bet they've just put it down to alcohol. Besides you can come out as gay now, if you want to, that is

ReputationRep:
    OK, this time last year I was in the same boat as you guys feeling devastated about Hampstead but I urge you all to give it a go. I'll address some of the worries people have about Hampstead and give you a bit of information.

The biggest worry for most people is the distance from campus. Yes, it is far out. But personally I felt the opportunity to live in Hampstead compensated for the commute. It's an absolutely beautiful area. If you're at the Strand, the number 13 bus takes you all the way in, it will take about an hour in the mornings so I wouldn't advise it for those 9 ams. Instead you can get the bus down the road (3 mins) to the tube station or walk it (10 mins) and then get the tube in. The whole journey would take me about 45 minutes in rush hour, or 30-35 in the middle of the day. The walk is uphill on the way home, so I did tend to get the bus up the road on the way back!

Waterloo is even easier as you don't have to change tube, this would usually take about 35-40 mins rush hour or 30 mins in the middle of the day.

Medics had slightly longer to travel on the tube but again no changes so really not a difficult journey. I know 45 minutes sounds like an awful lot when you think of your friends at SSA popping across the road, but I really came to appreciate my travelling time as a bit of time to myself (all my friends from halls were on other courses, so I usually travelled by myself) and some winding down time to read or listen to music. You won't have the luxury of living right next to campus in future years, so why get used to it. And it is cost-effective: Hampstead is almost £1000 cheaper per year than GDS or SSA, yet once you have your student Oyster Card you'll spend £60 a month on a travelcard and you're there for about 8 months, you shouldn't spend more than £500.

This is probably a broad generalisation, but I felt that those of us in Hampstead, because we had travelcards and had to travel every day, ended up seeing a lot more of London in general. We used hop around to all different areas on nights out and visiting friends, while most of my friends in SSA didn't bother getting Oystercards and were limited to where they could walk - across the bridge and back.

The area around Hampstead is fantastic. Camden is only a ten minute bus journey away, or you can get the overground train. Hampstead Village is ten minutes' walk, where you can find a couple of good bars and pubs, some nice restaurants and designer shops (and the odd celebrity). You can walk through the village to get to Hampstead Heath (or take the overground train from Finchley Road) where we went ice skating in the winter, and spent many a day in the summer sunbathing or having a dip in the outdoor ponds. West Hampstead is five minutes in the other direction, which has a whole host of bars, pubs, shops and, my personal favourite, Gourmet Burger Kitchen, the most fantastic eatery you will find in London. Finchley Road has plenty of 24-hour shops and off-licenses for those late-night needs, and there's a ton of takeaways too which are happy to deliver to the campus (I recommend Passage to India).

The next worry most people seem to have is the lack of ensuite. I was disgusted at the thought of sharing my bathrooms with people I didn't know. Now I'll be honest, the bathrooms do vary from building to building. Dudin Brown has the newest and nicest, they have a whole collection of single bathrooms with a toilet, shower and sink. I was in Maynard which wasn't at all bad. We had a male and a female bathroom which contained three showers and two toilets, plus another communal toilet room. Three showers doesn't sound like a lot, but there were only about fourteen girls on my floor, and I can honestly say that a) I NEVER had to wait for a shower, and b) I can count on one hand the number of times I didn't have the whole bathroom to myself. No, we weren't a bunch of dirty tramps, but everyone has lectures at different times and different routines. The bathrooms were cleaned for us every day, and were rarely in a state where I felt uncomfortable about using them. While an ensuite would have been nice, the bathroom situation is not something you should worry about, and I think I ended up preferring what I had to the pathetic excuse they give you for an ensuite in the apartments (a claustrophobic, aeroplane-toilet type experience where every shower results in the whole room needing a mop).

As for room size, again, it varies from building to building (Lady Chapman has the biggest) but my room in Maynard was easily three times the size of the rooms in the apartments. Having had a small room at home, I really appreciated the space.

The social life at Hampstead is excellent, you have your own bar (with pool tables) which is very cheap, it's quite quiet normally but hosts pretty good themed parties every now and then, and also shows films once a week and any big football matches etc. Make friends with the people who work there (or better yet get a job there) as you will then enjoy discounts ("How much is two vodka and cokes?" "£2.80." "Will you accept £1.87 in coppers?" "Certainly.&quot There's also a TV room which becomes "The Noise Room" after 11, and table tennis and music rooms as well. Come the summer months the best thing about Hampstead was the massive lawn outside, many a revision day was wasted sun bathing and it was a good place to meet new people, even at the end of the year.

To summarise a mammoth post, I had a fantastic year at Hampstead, and as dazmultra keeps reiterating to people concerned about KCH, halls is about the social life, not whether you have an ensuite or how far you have to travel. I went to Hampstead with the plan that I would give it a go for a month or so and if I hated it, I'd come home and commute (although as that would've meant at least an hour and a half each way for me, it wasn't an attractive option either) but I can honestly say that once I was there, it never crossed my mind. I would urge you all to take your place at Hampstead and at least try it.

--Just read this about the Hampstead Residence, actually a 17minute single tube ride though - but woohoooo I caaaaaaaaaaaan't wait!!

ReputationRep:
    :awesome: Don't worry, citrus, I bet they've just put it down to alcohol. Besides you can come out as gay now, if you want to, that is
    It's ok, I told them before - they put it down to alcohol, partly, though - they just found it really funny tbh :p:

Night

ReputationRep:
    It's ok, I told them before - they put it down to alcohol, partly, though - they just found it really funny tbh :p:
    Everyone is having wild parties and I can't even go to freshers :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is having wild parties and I can't even go to freshers :getmecoat:
    Why not?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.