Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    This is just weird.

Got a phone call from the Barts Dean of Admissions a few minutes ago saying how he would recommend me to go on a gap year. He was honest and said they'd (Barts) got about 50 or so more people who met their offers to start in Sept so are offering the gap year opportunity to see how many people are willing to defer their entries till next year so that their numbers balance out.

Yeah sounds like a great idea and I genuinely was considering deferring, only problem is their only giving you £2000 spending money. Thats not enough to last a year.
    If they are giving you the money go for it! raise the rest you need doing a HCA type job for the experience as well! or any kinda job just for the cash! OR do nothing adventurous and save the 2000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Still no student finance. Worried

Me neither. Luckily, the non assessed loan will be fine for a month or two.

ReputationRep:
    Still no student finance. Worried
    I'm in the same boat. Not nice indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    I sent my signature for the non-assessed about a week ago but the website still says "awaiting signature" ****

ReputationRep:
    I sent my signature for the non-assessed about a week ago but the website still says "awaiting signature" ****
    They are being very slow, they havent read things I sent in at the begginning of July. You should still get the spondulicks at the begginning of next term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShinyShiny)
    They are being very slow, they havent read things I sent in at the begginning of July. You should still get the spondulicks at the begginning of next term.
    I better had do, or I'll be living in London on uhh *checks pocket* 20p.

ReputationRep:
    I better had do, or I'll be living in London on uhh *checks pocket* 20p.
    We can become homeless medical students, we cant be the first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccy.)
    If they are giving you the money go for it! raise the rest you need doing a HCA type job for the experience as well! or any kinda job just for the cash! OR do nothing adventurous and save the 2000
    yeah those are really good reasons actually. :hmmm:

but I'd sorta always imagined i would be starting in Sept so deferring seems a bit out of the blue and unplanned which is so not me. And i know this isn't a valid enough reason but all my mates/guys I've talked to on the fb group are starting this year so I don't think I'd enjoy starting on my own a year later with the 2010 lot. :dry:

We got the email on thursday and I was considering it, then this morning I thought I'd made up my mind i wouldn't go for it, but after he called this evening its got me thinking about both possibilities again. :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Jessay! and ShinyShiny, there's always tesco value shopping. :p:

But on a serious note, i haven't heard back either and its quite annoying knowing everything isn't set for uni just yet. :sigh:

ReputationRep:

but I'd sorta always imagined i would be starting in Sept so deferring seems a bit out of the blue and unplanned which is so not me. And i know this isn't a valid enough reason but all my mates/guys I've talked to on the fb group are starting this year so I don't think I'd enjoy starting on my own a year later with the 2010 lot. :dry:

We got the email on thursday and I was considering it, then this morning I thought I'd made up my mind i wouldn't go for it, but after he called this evening its got me thinking about both possibilities again. :unsure:
    I'd be the same, seriously. I don't think I'd feel as happy with the people from the year below, though there is a lot of finance you could raise. It depends which would make you happier- a gap year with the money raising, or starting with people you know you'd get on with. Sometimes, a year actually does make a difference (in terms of the people and whether you'd get on with them).

ReputationRep:
    I'd be the same, seriously. I don't think I'd feel as happy with the people from the year below, though there is a lot of finance you could raise. It depends which would make you happier- a gap year with the money raising, or starting with people you know you'd get on with. Sometimes, a year actually does make a difference (in terms of the people and whether you'd get on with them).
    Exactly!

:juggle:

Maybe I should sleep on it and think well hard about the whole thing before making a decision. So unsure at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't managed to get mine sorted wooooorrry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I still haven't managed to get mine sorted wooooorrry
    Have you got the non income assessed bit through atleast?

ReputationRep:
    Have you got the non income assessed bit through atleast?
    I actually don't have a clue what I've got through, I've got the letter telling me what I'm entitled to and I did send away my signature confirming it, but I don't think they got it so I need to send it away tomorrow again. I'm not sure how this will impact on my application tbh..

BTW my old friends are dicks times a million now.

I invited them out to a picnic lunch this morning, one replied to say he was too hungover, the rest didn't. Now I find out that they are all over at this guys house

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I actually don't have a clue what I've got through, I've got the letter telling me what I'm entitled to and I did send away my signature confirming it, but I don't think they got it so I need to send it away tomorrow again. I'm not sure how this will impact on my application tbh..

I invited them out to a picnic lunch this morning, one replied to say he was too hungover, the rest didn't. Now I find out that they are all over at this guys house

:eek: The *****! Have you confronted them on this?

ReputationRep:

Hmmm. If i could go back i'd have taken a gap year. I can see why you wouldnt want to, but sometimes spontaneous ideas are the best! Plus do you really want to be in a super oversubscribed year??

edit - 2 of my best friends at uni are ones who took a gap year and theyve found it fine! although my boyfriend doesnt know ANYONE who took a gap year in his hall/course/circle of uni friends, which i find a little odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)

want me to smack them one for you?
    ive turned all tough and 'ghetto' after a year in manchestaa

ReputationRep:

I'm definitely not gonna take another gap year having already taken one :p: I already feel like I'm a year behind :emo:

Just a thought, since they're supposedly removing the fee caps next year would that mean taking a year out would make you have to pay oh so much more in tuition fees? That is assuming they raise the costs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccy.)
    want me to smack them one for you?
    ive turned all tough and 'ghetto' after a year in manchestaa
    You'll neva be as ghetto as me innit.

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing it non assessed? Or are you doing it for the time being as they haven't gotten around to assessing anyone because they don't know what they're doing and just want people to worry about their finances at uni..

I haven't been assessed yet and at this rate I don't think they will anytime soon :eyebrow:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.