Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    I'm way too lazy :p: Awesome! :five: From your username I'm guessing you know crazylemon? (my mad detective skillz at work there :holmes: )
    :rofl: I do indeed :yep:

(Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Modern world? Medieval??

Assuming you get to select modules.
    Yeah, you get to choose - I hope to do something modern :yep:

(Original post by crazylemon)
    If he can I bet he picks the Hitler ones :p:
    Oi! Actually you may be right there, I find the Nazis extremely interesting - and I love dictatorships :ninja:

Oh, I absolutely love history :love:
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    I'm off to Reading Festival. I'll be back on Monday. :ciao:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    If I was doing History and had a choice I would do: The Romans, Ancient Greece, Alexander the Great, The Crusades, and Russian Revolution
    The problem with ancient history is that you don't often have much to go on. Most accounts have ridiculous amounts of vested interest and the truth, if there ever is such a thing in history, is obscured to such an extent that it's impossible to argue one thing or another.

ReputationRep:
    He is a friend of mine who found me here. And most people like him so he is allowed to stay
    That sounds fair enough to me

ReputationRep:
    The problem with ancient history is that you don't often have much to go on. Most accounts have ridiculous amounts of vested interest and the truth, if there ever is such a thing in history, is obscured to such an extent that it's impossible to argue one thing or another.
    I know that, but it is still sooo interesting. Especially military history would be fantastic :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

Matt likes the dictators though maybe a bit of stalin to even things out..... :p:
    Bullock has a great book comparing the two, which is very well written. A lot of people would question the comparisons he makes though, as they'd argue that Hitler wasn't a real dictator... unlike Stalin, who sat at his desk issuing orders all the time. On that issue though, I don't believe that Hitler was a 'weak' dictator as such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Enjoy the, surprisingly good weather.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds fair enough to me
    I gave you new gem :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Bullock has a great book comparing the two, which is very well written. A lot of people would question the comparisons he makes though, as they'd argue that Hitler wasn't a real dictator... unlike Stalin, who sat at his desk issuing orders all the time. On that issue though, I don't believe that Hitler was a 'weak' dictator as such.
    I'll have a look on amazon :yep:

I like Hitler (in a good way), don't like Stalin though, his moustache is waaay too scruffy for a decent dictator

ReputationRep:
    I know that, but it is still sooo interesting. Especially military history would be fantastic :awesome:
    I still can't help but laugh whenever I read Herodotus. And really, you can't study much accurate military history - as it's nearly always recorded by the winners (with a few notable exceptions).

I don't like diving into historiography though and with ancient history, I'm guessing there will be a lot of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    I'll have a look on amazon :yep:

I like Hitler (in a good way), don't like Stalin though, his moustache is waaay too scruffy for a decent dictator
    A.J.P. Taylor is always a good read.

And really, I don't think Hitler's that bad a person and the main responsibility for things such as the holocaust certainly don't rest with Hitler - unlike all the docs on TV. It's just that if the blame is pinned on Hitler, almost completely, it makes it easier to settle the account of guilt.

Of course, I'd probably get lynched for saying this to non-historians who are convinced that anything said/done to lessen Hitler's guilt is a massive crime. Or Davidowicz for that matter, but she's dead, so it's ok. It's why everyone steers clear of being completely blunt wrt Hitler - AJP Taylor went far enough himself, and got enough bad press for it at the time.

ReputationRep:
    I still can't help but laugh whenever I read Herodotus. And really, you can't study much accurate military history - as it's nearly always recorded by the winners (with a few notable exceptions).

I don't like diving into historiography though and with ancient history, I'm guessing there will be a lot of that.
    Is the Hitler/Stalin comparison book H&S: Parallel Lives?

ReputationRep:
    I gave you new gem :woo:
    :woo: Thank you.

I still think it is extremelly interesting, ancient history. Most modern history is politics

ReputationRep:
    Is the Hitler/Stalin comparison book H&S: Parallel Lives?
    Yea, it is, although if you're looking for something really gripping to read, try A.J.P. Taylor...

Maybe, The Origins of the Second World War? :p:

ReputationRep:
    A.J.P. Taylor is always a good read.

And really, I don't think Hitler's that bad a person and the main responsibility for things such as the holocaust certainly don't rest with Hitler - unlike all the docs on TV. It's just that if the blame is pinned on Hitler, almost completely, it makes it easier to settle the account of guilt.

Of course, I'd probably get lynched for saying this to non-historians who are convinced that anything said/done to lessen Hitler's guilt is a massive crime. Or Davidowicz for that matter, but she's dead, so it's ok. It's why everyone steers clear of being completely blunt wrt Hitler - AJP Taylor went far enough himself, and got enough bad press for it at the time.
    The only AJP Taylor book i've read is Bismarck: The Man and the Statesman - that was really good!

And I agree completely about Hitler. He is all to easy to blame for things that often weren't his responsibility. There's the concept of "working towards the fuhrer" etc. which offers a much better explanation. Sadly most people can't be bothered to learn about it properly.

ReputationRep:
    The only AJP Taylor book i've read is Bismarck: The Man and the Statesman - that was really good!

And I agree completely about Hitler. He is all to easy to blame for things that often weren't his responsibility. There's the concept of "working towards the fuhrer" etc. which offers a much better explanation. Sadly most people can't be bothered to learn about it properly.
    Ahhh, Otto, what a legend :yy:

I love how he claims credit for everything related to German unification in his memoirs. "Yea, yea, I engineered the Schleswig-Holstein crisis... and the Luxembourg affair... I predicted everything that was going to happen and planned every move. Worship me."

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I'm a bit freaked out, I let in the tiler to work on my bathroom this morning at 8.30am, went down to the sofa to have a nap, and just woke up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    have fun! i hoped you don't get rained on-i think everyone at leeds will be swimming around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    Hey guys I'm a bit freaked out, I let in the tiler to work on my bathroom this morning at 8.30am, went down to the sofa to have a nap, and just woke up!
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    :rofl: This is the point where you go around checking that nothing is stolen :yep:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.