Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    I know it's not great though, I use the word Fascinate, brackets, I name hospitals and all sorts.
    Mine's :erm: interesting :p: Just been reading through it again, and considering it got me 3 interviews, it's pretty rubbish really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    Mine's :erm: interesting :p: Just been reading through it again, and considering it got me 3 interviews, it's pretty rubbish really!
    Mine got me one :emo: It's funny though, looking back I can see sooo many thing's I'd change - what a difference a year makes, no wonder the gappers are a step ahead.

ReputationRep:
    My PS's have got me a few interviews :p:

Version 1 got me 2 out of 3

Version 2 got me 3 out of 4 :ninja:

I question why they did give me interviews :p: Actually the one that didn't in version 2 interview me with version one LOL Apparently it was worse :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Good afternoon hippies and hobos.
    Ciao.
    Hope you don't mind me asking, when did you start your HCA job? And how much did you write about it in your PS? Did they ask a lot about it at interview and do you think it would compensate for (not a complete) lack of work experience elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FFCrusader)
    My PS's have got me a few interviews :p:

Version 1 got me 2 out of 3

Version 2 got me 3 out of 4 :ninja:

I question why they did give me interviews :p: Actually the one that didn't in version 2 interview me with version one LOL Apparently it was worse :p:
    Is there a PS service for gradmeds? I suck at writing PS's and CV's Though by the time I will need to write a PS again I might improve :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    Is there a PS service for gradmeds? I suck at writing PS's and CV's Though by the time I will need to write a PS again I might improve :p:
    I've reviewed a post grad applying for med, so they just post in the same forum :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelly^2)
    Ciao.
    Hope you don't mind me asking, when did you start your HCA job? And how much did you write about it in your PS? Did they ask a lot about it at interview and do you think it would compensate for (not a complete) lack of work experience elsewhere?
    I started it at the start of September last year, so by the time I sent out my PS, I didn't really have long in the job to write too much about it, but showed it's importance. They asked about it at most of my interviews, to varying degrees of depth, and as it was my main work experience I think it compensated for other areas. Although that's not to say it's vital and you can't get equally good work experience elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    If I were to ever become a PS helper... god help me if I do, most of my reviews will undoubtedly go as follows:

"It's complete trite - rewrite is needed."

I'm sure, though, that there will be the odd decent PS among the swathes of ****** ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    I reviewed one for postgrad, it's the same place :yep:

Speaking of CVs, I just remembered I need to write one :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    I started it at the start of September last year, so by the time I sent out my PS, I didn't really have long in the job to write too much about it, but showed it's importance. They asked about it at most of my interviews, to varying degrees of depth, and as it was my main work experience I think it compensated for other areas. Although that's not to say it's vital and you can't get equally good work experience elsewhere.
    Cool. It's just I feel that the reason I didn't get in last year was probably lack of work experience.. I'm just praying I get this job!

ReputationRep:
    Beach party time :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Cool. It's just I feel that the reason I didn't get in last year was probably lack of work experience.. I'm just praying I get this job!
    I would have personally applied for more work shadowing placements in hospitals around the country than do HCA work. I have a feeling you'd get more out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FFCrusader)
    I've reviewed a post grad applying for med, so they just post in the same forum :p:
    I haven't even met many people on here who are planning to do postgrad, apart from Brokenangel, myself and Bear (then again with me and bear its pretty much undecided too) :unsure:
    Perhaps we need another thread? but like I said, its early days for me, I might not even decide to go through with it, three years on :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    If I were to ever become a PS helper... god help me if I do, most of my reviews will undoubtedly go as follows:

"It's complete trite - rewrite is needed."

I'm sure, though, that there will be the odd decent PS among the swathes of ****** ones.
    Yes, but for the bad ones you need to tell them where they're going wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    I reviewed one for postgrad, it's the same place :yep:

Speaking of CVs, I just remembered I need to write one :sigh:
    I had mine written by a friend :awesome: she made me sound far more interesting :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    Yes, but for the bad ones you need to tell them where they're going wrong
    You know, PS helpers would have so much less work to do if ****** example PS were taken off the site. They set a pretty dire standard.

Plus, there should be, if there isn't already, a page with general PS advice which everyone ignores. Of course, they're going to ignore that page as well...

ReputationRep:
    You know, PS helpers would have so much less work to do if ****** example PS were taken off the site. They set a pretty dire standard.

Plus, there should be, if there isn't already, a page with general PS advice which everyone ignores. Of course, they're going to ignore that page as well...
    There is one, but all the advices in the world can't substitute for writing ability
    But the PS's in the library are mostly ****, that is definitely true. althoguh I liked the ones with comments on.

ReputationRep:

I think they should just be redirected to the PS that starts "ever since I burnt my pyjamas on my 7th birthday with my new chemistry set" or something along those lines to see what they want to be aiming for. That really is an amazing personal statement.

And yeah, there is, its all in the wiki :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    i have a harry potter related question.
    does TP remind people of ernie macmillan???

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's not the end of the world if you don't get the job. There's always other options, including different posts in the hospital. But I must say HCAing was very valuable experience, and it was nice to earn a full time wage this year.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.