Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    Sowee :puppyeyes:
    I know what you mean about the whole looking forward to it for two years, but now it's sinking in thing. I think it's just natural though, anyone who went into medicine without any worries or doubts would be crazy!
    I'm mostly worried about a) people automatically judging me because I sound southern and b) not being able to do medicine.
    I especially like it when I see or hear people acting all high and mighty because they've blindly wanted to do medicine since they were five and never had any doubts, whereas others have had to question whether it was right for them. I wanted to be a ******* tree when I was five. That doesn't make you committed, it makes you stupid.

My worries are quite huge at the minute. Mostly I'd say I was worried about not fitting in, being too common for everyone there, not finding any real friends, and everyone being copiously smarter than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    I especially like it when I see or hear people acting all high and mighty because they've blindly wanted to do medicine since they were five and never had any doubts, whereas others have had to question whether it was right for them. I wanted to be a ******* tree when I was five. That doesn't make you committed, it makes you stupid.

My worries are quite huge at the minute. Mostly I'd say I was worried about not fitting in, being too common for everyone there, not finding any real friends, and everyone being copiously smarter than me.
    Me too I don't feel smart enough for it.

ReputationRep:

I wanted to be a farmer's wife :proud:
    I feel the same I'm sure that we'll both be fine, but I think it'll be playing on our minds until we get there and settle in. I'm worried that people with hear that I'm southern and not give me the time of day :sad: Hopefully there won't be any die-hard southerner haters, but I suppose if there are I'll just have to win them over and prove to them that not everyone from down south is posh and prententious.

I'm sure everyone else will have their own worries too...we'll have a whale of a time, I'm sure, but it's just getting that inital awkward stage over and done with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Then we can fail together.

ReputationRep:
    Let's make a club!
    Honestly though, sometimes I feel like a bit of a fraud that I got into medicine. I don't think I'm clever, I just work hard. I'm not sure whether that'll be enough for medicine though :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Not yet, but soon, real soon.

Yeah, I actually remember quoting you in one of them. I then proceeded to cry myself to sleep when you gave me no answer. :cry:

It was something to do with films I think. It's been a good week film-wise - firstly I saw Funny People which is really quite brilliant (for the most part), and then I got Scarface for £3 from Tesco, which is like the best deal ever. :coma: I'm in a pickle over what to watch tonight though; United 93 on ITV or Lucky Number Slevin on 4? Both excellent films in their own right, they shouldn't force you to choose! :sad:

What's been happening with you?
    Cool stuff

I'm sorry :sad: I may have to find this said post :p:

So I take it you liked Funny People? :p: When was it not brilliant?

Scarface is a loooooooong film... I remember when my friend decided we should watch it at 1am in the morning...was not a good idea :p:

That's always the way...they show two things you want to watch at the same time :emo: Could always flip a coin for deciding :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    I feel exactly the same - I have no real expectations as its all a new experience - so im all a bit apprehensive.

Where im going, half the medics will be living together on a different campus, and half mixed in with sussex uni students. Im the latter half - and my worry will be that the other half will become quite clique-y. It'll be interesting - just nervous about the first month or so before it all settles down.

Cant wait to not be bored 24/7 though :woo:

When do you leave?
    I couldn't live exclusively with medics, it would bore me eventually. I want to see other people with other interests. More fool them if they do get clique-y I say, and be careful you don't get sucked in with them.

That's one of the things I'm really looking forwards to with Oxford - there's going to be 5 other medics in my year at my college, so apart from almost being forced to mix with other subjects, I'll feel I belong to so many different identities, collegiate and subject.

I leave on Monday 5th October, and term officially starts on the 11th I think. There's ridiculous amounts planned for freshers' week though, including formal hall, a ball, bops, club nights, walking tours, drinks with your tutors(! :s:), and sports trials. It will be rather an exciting time.

Yourself?

(Original post by brokenangel)
    here one to get this back on track how the hell did you lot study for UKCAT when the official practice program thing doesnt even give u a score
    Given the title, I'd say I wasn't aware that it was possible for it to be 'off track'.

In answer to your question, you should know whether or not you're doing well based on how comfortable you are with the questions, how easy you find them and whether you're getting them right or not. You shouldn't need a score to be able to work out how you're getting on. If you absolutely need one, pay £90 to go to a seminar and get a nice inflated score to make you feel all good inside.

ReputationRep:
    Found it :awesome:

I just got a new computer. It's perfect, so shiny and new! (My first computer for ~6 years :p:)

The first film I did that for was the Bourne Ultimatum. I just couldn't wait 6 months to see it again. :p:

I went to see Funny People recently, pretty good film. It's not a classic, but it's perfectly watchable for a night out. And Sandler is really good in it, completely throws off his stereotypical role and does something quite brilliant. Judd Apatow rules. :awesome:
    oooh a new computer :teeth: What one?

I haven't actually seen the Bourne films as I've never got around to them and my friend keeps telling me to watch it and I always forget :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShinyShiny)
    Then we can fail together.
    Strength in numbers! Are you scared about what the exams will be like?

Let's make a club!
    Honestly though, sometimes I feel like a bit of a fraud that I got into medicine. I don't think I'm clever, I just work hard. I'm not sure whether that'll be enough for medicine though :sad:
    I feel like a fraud too! I work hard. It feels like I've fooled someone to get in.

ReputationRep:
    Strength in numbers! Are you scared about what the exams will be like?

I feel like a fraud too! I work hard. It feels like I've fooled someone to get in.
    I don't know really, I don't know what they are like and I have never really revised for exams before so I am hoping that if I actually work I should be fine. But, you never know really; are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShinyShiny)
    I don't know really, I don't know what they are like and I have never really revised for exams before so I am hoping that if I actually work I should be fine. But, you never know really; are you?
    Petrified! I revised like 10/12 hours a day sometimes for my A2 exams so getting used to the university format and the higher amount of information required may just kill me.

ReputationRep:
    I received a letter from my tutors saying I should feel comfortable using the Nernst equation in an electrical context, because conceptually the hardest part of the first terms will the excitability of ionic compounds.

After quick wikipedia-ing, I am now very scared.

I wanted to be a farmer's wife :proud:
    I feel the same I'm sure that we'll both be fine, but I think it'll be playing on our minds until we get there and settle in. I'm worried that people with hear that I'm southern and not give me the time of day :sad: Hopefully there won't be any die-hard southerner haters, but I suppose if there are I'll just have to win them over and prove to them that not everyone from down south is posh and prententious.

I'm sure everyone else will have their own worries too...we'll have a whale of a time, I'm sure, but it's just getting that inital awkward stage over and done with
    I doubt anyone will discount you just because you're southern. :hugs: With me it's the whole worried about not fitting in because I wasn't privately schooled and my daddy doesn't own land. Hopefully there will be people there who are nothing like that, but it's always a bit of a worry of mine.

(Original post by FFCrusader)
    Cool stuff

I'm sorry :sad: I may have to find this said post :p:

So I take it you liked Funny People? :p: When was it not brilliant?

Scarface is a loooooooong film... I remember when my friend decided we should watch it at 1am in the morning...was not a good idea :p:

That's always the way...they show two things you want to watch at the same time :emo: Could always flip a coin for deciding :ninja:
    Yeah, I really enjoyed Funny People (mostly). It was a really good comedy in places (which it should be, carrying the official stamp of Apatow), and Sandler was just brilliant in his role, considering he's made a living out of the same one-dimensional character all of his life. But the ending spoiled it for me. It just went typically American, valuing story over characters with ridiculously hyped things like airport chases and fights. No ******* need. But if there was an Oscar for best actor for most of a film, Sandler definitely would deserve a nomination.

Scarface is a wondrous film, and ever minute is a joy to watch, more like. :p: I rate it above The Godfather, personally, it's just immense.

I think I might record one so I can watch the other. I'll be watching United 93 tonight probably, it's a film I've wanted to watch for a very long time as it's got both a gripping story and critical acclaim, and it's directed by Greengrass who is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I received a letter from my tutors saying I should feel comfortable using the Nernst equation in an electrical context, because conceptually the hardest part of the first terms will the excitability of ionic compounds.
    :eek3:

I don't even know what half of that is. :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmersonDrain)
    Ohhh, I *so* want the country house thing. I've just watched the whole series of Brideshead Revisited on DVD - the Jeremy Irons and Anthony Andrews one I think it a quirk of fate that I was born into a crappy area and somewhere there is a country house with my coat of arms on the gate :fatcontroller: I could live without the cows but wouldn't mind some geese, sheep and perhaps the odd peacock :yep:
    I love Jeremy Irons :love: If I could marry a Jeremy Irons lookalike vet and live in abig country house it would be dream come true ( plus I would be a doctor and look stunning) :p:
    You could be my neighbour and come to borrow some sugar once in while
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    Is it so simple even I (who can't make beans on toast unless it's microwaveable beans) could make it?
    :unsure: You might be, all it involves is measuring, rubbing butter into sugar + flour and adding a little or no water to mix

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    I didnt
    Haha im determined i wont do that for graduate entry tho last time i too didnt study.

Given the title, I'd say I wasn't aware that it was possible for it to be 'off track'.

In answer to your question, you should know whether or not you're doing well based on how comfortable you are with the questions, how easy you find them and whether you're getting them right or not. You shouldn't need a score to be able to work out how you're getting on. If you absolutely need one, pay £90 to go to a seminar and get a nice inflated score to make you feel all good inside.
    Thats the thing it doesnt tell you whether you were right or wrong! Im not stupid enought to pay for the seminar - god knows i wasted enough on medlink :o:

Thanks anyway guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    I love Jeremy Irons :love: If I could marry a Jeremy Irons lookalike vet and live in abig country house it would be dream come true ( plus I would be a doctor and look stunning) :p:
    You could be my neighbour and come to borrow some sugar once in while
    I am an Irons doppelganger - give or take 20 years - but as I have no ambitions to shove my arm up a cow's backside I may have to relinquish my interest in you matrimonially (we can always meet up for a quickie when I drop in for a cup of sugar :surprise:)

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't live exclusively with medics, it would bore me eventually.
    I hope it doesn't bore me. I'll be stuck with them for the next five years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmersonDrain)
    I am an Irons doppelganger - give or take 20 years - but as I have no ambitions to shove my arm up a cow's backside I may have to relinquish my interest in you matrimonially (we can always meet up for a quickie when I drop in for a cup of sugar :surprise:)
    YYOou aaaaareee a Jjjeremy Iirrons lookalike???? Stuff vets, I will gladly marry you :p: Failing that, the vet would never need to know
    The vet would have to look like Hugh Jackman then, why would I need two Jeremy Irons in bed :p:

ReputationRep:
    Petrified! I revised like 10/12 hours a day sometimes for my A2 exams so getting used to the university format and the higher amount of information required may just kill me.
    I think I was maxing (and seldom doing so) at about an 3 hours (more in the days preceding), I dont think I even revised for the biology papers

But you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't live exclusively with medics, it would bore me eventually. I want to see other people with other interests. More fool them if they do get clique-y I say, and be careful you don't get sucked in with them.

That's one of the things I'm really looking forwards to with Oxford - there's going to be 5 other medics in my year at my college, so apart from almost being forced to mix with other subjects, I'll feel I belong to so many different identities, collegiate and subject.

I leave on Monday 5th October, and term officially starts on the 11th I think. There's ridiculous amounts planned for freshers' week though, including formal hall, a ball, bops, club nights, walking tours, drinks with your tutors(! :s:), and sports trials. It will be rather an exciting time.

Yourself?
    See that's what I thought when I didn't apply for medic accommodation as my first choice - I just hope I made the right decision.

Freshers for me is basically from what I can tell, clubbing, clubbing and more clubbing, with a little live acoustic music muddled in. Dont get me wrong I enjoy clubbing, but all week? :o: Im off on the 26th, term starts on the 5th, so less than 3 weeks now :zomg:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.