Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Oh no it's ok, it was a waste of a post really, I just thought it was further proof you may be an imposter UCH looks awesome though, if I see you around I'll be sure to point out that I was the one who didn't believe you. :o: I am indeed going to UCL.
    yeah UCL is fantastic - UCH is a great hospital with great staff, but unfortunately is now a disgraceful PFI monstrosity rather than being publicly owned as it should be, and as it was when i first started training there. Have you all read NHS Plc by Allyson Pollock?? If not, it is probably the only book that all doctors should read, without exception, given that we are all having to face a future working in a corporatised, frangmented and market led institution where the profits of multinational organisations, with no mandate to the public good, are prioritised and these organisations are placed in charge of health care provision in this country. (oops, sounds like a column-style rant starting there...!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    The colourful one is the childrens hospital :p:
    New GOSH wing (will be completed in 2012):

ReputationRep:
    Oh, we're comparing prettiness are we? :teeth:

(My room's on the top floor :awesome:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    You should create a specific Q&A thread for people interested in asking you questions, then they wouldn't get lost as easily. :holmes:

As an aside, something I've always been curious in - how many words in a standard column in a newspaper? I'd guess at 500, but it could be deceptively more.
    a good idea although firstly, maybe a bit narcassistic to have my own thread! and secondly, that is definately outside of my technical abilities!

average column length depends on newspaper and the nature of the column. most are around 750, a slightly longer leader-style columns are usually about 1200

ReputationRep:
    Just thought i'd cut through all those pictures of buildings with a picture of a Range Rover:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, we're comparing prettiness are we? :teeth:

(My room's on the top floor :awesome:)

Nice!

Distance from my halls to lecture theatre: 440ft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bottfly7)
    Nice!

Mine: more like 4.4km :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I must say LMH is very pretty indeed.

For lols, here's where I work now (seems my bus is waiting outside haha):

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxpemberton)
    yeah UCL is fantastic - UCH is a great hospital with great staff, but unfortunately is now a disgraceful PFI monstrosity rather than being publicly owned as it should be, and as it was when i first started training there. Have you all read NHS Plc by Allyson Pollock?? If not, it is probably the only book that all doctors should read, without exception, given that we are all having to face a future working in a corporatised, frangmented and market led institution where the profits of multinational organisations, with no mandate to the public good, are prioritised and these organisations are placed in charge of health care provision in this country. (oops, sounds like a column-style rant starting there...!)
    I have that book actually! I attempted to read it before my interviews but I didn't really have much time. If you recommend it, I may dig into it again.

I've heard rumours about some people saying that they don't value UCH as a teaching hospital despite it being otherwise a fantastic hospital, I hope this isn't true as I was quite looking forward to working there in clinicals.

ReputationRep:
    Off to make dinner. Back in 30mins

ReputationRep:

:p:
    We win!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Nice!

My college is a direct walk through the university parks to the medical sciences teaching centre. Should be a nice start to the day!

ReputationRep:
    a good idea although firstly, maybe a bit narcassistic to have my own thread! and secondly, that is definately outside of my technical abilities!

average column length depends on newspaper and the nature of the column. most are around 750, a slightly longer leader-style columns are usually about 1200
    Ha yeah, it could be interpreted that way.

And thanks for the info.

ReputationRep:
    I have that book actually! I attempted to read it before my interviews but I didn't really have much time. If you recommend it, I may dig into it again.

I've heard rumours about some people saying that they don't value UCH as a teaching hospital despite it being otherwise a fantastic hospital, I hope this isn't true as I was quite looking forward to working there in clinicals.
    i absolutely recommend it. i've read it numerous times. it's vital for our patient's well being and the long term security of the NHS in the UK that doctors are informed and policised about healthcare otherwise we become little more than compliant government apparatchiks, unable to effectively challenge parliamentary diktats or defend our patient's best interests.

Don't worry about any rumours any of you hear - one person will say that such and such a hospital is best, another will say something else. it's personal opinion in the end.
    UCL and UCH have a world-renowned reputation and you will study clinical medicine in some of the most famous medical institutions in the world (great ormond street, national neurological hospital, hospital for tropical diseases, national orthopaedic hospital, the national heart hospital, moorfields eye hospital etc etc) really, don't worry. just get through your exams each year!

ReputationRep:
    i absolutely recommend it. i've read it numerous times. it's vital for our patient's well being and the long term security of the NHS in the UK that doctors are informed and policised about healthcare otherwise we become little more than compliant government apparatchiks, unable to effectively challenge parliamentary diktats or defend our patient's best interests.

Don't worry about any rumours any of you hear - one person will say that such and such a hospital is best, another will say something else. it's personal opinion in the end.
    UCL and UCH have a world-renowned reputation and you will study clinical medicine in some of the most famous medical institutions in the world (great ormond street, national neurological hospital, hospital for tropical diseases, national orthopaedic hospital, the national heart hospital, moorfields eye hospital etc etc) really, don't worry. just get through your exams each year!
    I will give it a go then, thanks for the info! I was a bit reluctant to read these sorts of books even before my interviews because it felt like a waste seeing as I was convinced I wouldn't get in. But it sounds like a very good book so I might look at it over the next couple of weeks whilst I have nothing to do in the run up to uni.

Yeah I said that, everyone's different, but it did start to make me doubt the hospital itself but there are LOADS of people telling me horror stories about clinicals and medicine in general whereas in the end, I'd have more of a nightmare doing something I didn't want to do. You've put my mind at rest though, thanks. I can't wait now!

ReputationRep:
    Medicine sounds bloody interesting :p:

ReputationRep:

there are LOADS of people telling me horror stories about clinicals and medicine in general whereas in the end, I'd have more of a nightmare doing something I didn't want to do. You've put my mind at rest though, thanks. I can't wait now!
    there always seems to be people that take pleasure in making other people scared or doubt their decisions. really, try not to listen to them. everyone is different and even if you hate it (which i doubt, to be honest) it's no big deal - you've given it a try and you'd then know you didn't want to do that, so you could just change to something else. no dramas, really, and certainly no need to be apprehensive. but i think you'll love it. i wasn't mad keen on actual medical school - found it a bit dull and boring in general - but there was so much other stuff to do, new experiences to have, people to meet, things to think about, it never bothered me and i had a fantastic time and now i'm a doctor, i love my job and am really happy. it's normal to be a little bit scared, but don't let it spoil the excitement you should be feeling - you've got 6 fantastic years ahead of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    Medicine sounds bloody interesting :p:
    Serious or sarcastic? :hmmm: It had better be the former.

ReputationRep:
    there always seems to be people that take pleasure in making other people scared or doubt their decisions. really, try not to listen to them. everyone is different and even if you hate it (which i doubt, to be honest) it's no big deal - you've given it a try and you'd then know you didn't want to do that, so you could just change to something else. no dramas, really, and certainly no need to be apprehensive. but i think you'll love it. i wasn't mad keen on actual medical school - found it a bit dull and boring in general - but there was so much other stuff to do, new experiences to have, people to meet, things to think about, it never bothered me and i had a fantastic time and now i'm a doctor, i love my job and am really happy. it's normal to be a little bit scared, but don't let it spoil the excitement you should be feeling - you've got 6 fantastic years ahead of you.
    This is all true Thanks again. I'm glad you love your job, I've had a dreadful feeling that the 6 years of med school may be as good as it gets and forever after that I'd have a bitter taste for the career.

ReputationRep:
    Serious or sarcastic? :hmmm: It had better be the former.
    Completely, utterly, totally, serious.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 9, 2009

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.