Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    I suppose, but then they are the third party really, as for EU UKIP hoovers up alot of votes from other parties.
    FPTP also doesnt help them as an electoral method too.

As for how I will vote....EU was UKIP and for a GE not sure, will either be Con or LPUK (I am aware this is somewhat of a throwaway vote :p:)
    LPUK isn't that far from Lib Dems on the political spectrum, though Con... :p: With Labour, I just want politicians to stick by Lab principles. I mean, for example, Labour politicians should send their kids to state schools. As for UKIP, well, we differ there - I'm more pro-Europe, or pro-World if you have it that way :p: Plus, Polish doctors are hardly going to compete with you for a job in the future :p:

FPTP, well, any system has its flaws, but nonetheless it's a democratic system and that's what matters. I just think back to the idealism of Weimar Germany, the democratic experiment and the parliaments set up by the people after the revolutions of the 1820s, 1830s and 1848 in mainland Europe - a galaxy of truly talented minds with a remarkable vision, but a lack of interest from the masses.

Kind of the same today - no one cares and as a result, with so little people voting and even fewer (a minority, dare I say) voting for policies, an idea or a principle, the government lacks legitimacy to govern. It's like bringing democracy to a country like Russia in 1917, with 90% of the population being peasants - they don't care about politics, we don't care about politics - and even when we do, we don't care about the wider implications but only how it immediately affects us and the party which conforms to our immediate requirements gets our vote. With this outlook, we're not ready for a civil democracy... but nobody will accept any alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    Hitchhiker's guide?

:awesome:
    Nope.

There are other trilogies in 5 parts you know :p:

I like Hitchikers though :yep:

Sci fi :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    :rofl:

Thats going in the sig :p:
    lol, well at least I get to be famous :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    LPUK isn't that far from Lib Dems on the political spectrum, though Con... :p: With Labour, I just want politicians to stick by Lab principles. I mean, for example, Labour politicians should send their kids to state schools. As for UKIP, well, we differ there - I'm more pro-Europe, or pro-World if you have it that way :p: Plus, Polish doctors are hardly going to compete with you for a job in the future :p:

FPTP, well, any system has its flaws, but nonetheless it's a democratic system and that's what matters. I just think back to the idealism of Weimar Germany, the democratic experiment and the parliaments set up by the people after the revolutions of the 1820s, 1830s and 1848 in mainland Europe - a galaxy of truly talented minds with a remarkable vision, but a lack of interest from the masses.

Kind of the same today - no one cares and as a result, with so little people voting and even fewer (a minority, dare I say) voting for policies, an idea or a principle, the government lacks legitimacy to govern. It's like bringing democracy to a country like Russia in 1917, with 90% of the population being peasants - they don't care about politics, we don't care about politics - and even when we do, we don't care about the wider implications but only how it immediately affects us and the party which conforms to our immediate requirements gets our vote. With this outlook, we're not ready for a civil democracy... but nobody will accept any alternative.
    LPUK is rather far from the lib dems, esp econamically, plus it is totally different to all 3 main parties in the sense it wants small government :p:

I think it is a shame people don't vote, but that might not be because they don't care but also because the don't have anyone standing they support, I think a none of the above option would be interesting.....
    I don't see why anyone need to think of policies beyond how it affects them though.

Wrt UKIP it is because I am anti EU as it stands not anti Europe per se

ReputationRep:
    LPUK is rather far from the lib dems, esp econamically, plus it is totally different to all 3 main parties in the sense it wants small government :p:

I think it is a shame people don't vote, but that might not be because they don't care but also because the don't have anyone standing they support, I think a none of the above option would be interesting.....
    I don't see why anyone need to think of policies beyond how it affects them though.
    Ahh, I'm just being idealistic again, and in terms of LPUK, I meant the social freedoms etc... :p: In many senses, I just feel the personality cult of the party leader is almost as important as what the party itself stands for.

The next GE will be interesting though. I don't think Con will overwhelmingly win, as forecasts show, as many people who don't normally vote probably will. Ok, I'm being idealistic again, who am I kidding? :p:

EDIT: and as for considering the wider implications wrt policies, I meant things like deciding to vote Con simply because we're in an economic crisis and Labour happens to be in power... although this statement itself is highly controversial.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I'm just being idealistic again, and in terms of LPUK, I meant the social freedoms etc... :p: In many senses, I just feel the personality cult of the party leader is almost as important as what the party itself stands for.

The next GE will be interesting though. I don't think Con will overwhelmingly win, as forecasts show, as many people who don't normally vote probably will. Ok, I'm being idealistic again, who am I kidding? :p:
    As for being idealistic I am no better for voting LPUK if I do :p:

I don't think the cult of personality of the leader should be more important, and I wouldnt like to vote on it alone.
    As for social freedoms they probably are closer, but I think economics is in this case far more important.

I agree next GE will be interesting.
    My personal hope is
    Conservative majority (no too big)
    Then Lib Dem part of opposition and Lab a distant 3rd with lots of other parties/independents with a few seats :p:

Night all :moon:

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: and as for considering the wider implications wrt policies, I meant things like deciding to vote Con simply because we're in an economic crisis and Labour happens to be in power... although this statement itself is highly controversial.
    Missed that.

I know a shame really but it happens.
    I wonder whether the large number of ex labour supporters who didn't vote in th EU elections will do so in the GE

ReputationRep:
    Night all :yawn:
    Night :moon:

ReputationRep:
    True, I lost a tenner today using self-checkout... forgot to take my ten pound note which was dispensed below... came back literally 15 seconds later and it was gone :mad: :mad:

Completely my own fault.... but.... :p:
    Just as the money comes out there's a voice saying "NOTES ARE DISPENSED UNDER THE SCANNER" :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyferret)
    Just as the money comes out there's a voice saying "NOTES ARE DISPENSED UNDER THE SCANNER" :p:
    Thanks... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks... :rolleyes:
    I would say it's an easy mistake to make but...it's not :p:

ReputationRep:
    I would say it's an easy mistake to make but...it's not :p:
    ive done it before! it is an easy mistake if you're a bit distracted!
    in my case the tesco lady manning the self checkouts noticed straight away and gave me it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccy.)
    'i think you're a minger' etc isnt banter.
    buut buttt beccy's hot :hmmm:
    :love:

(Original post by Degausser)
    Ill admit I didnt read much of the first one, I just took it as ADREAM accepting everyone who asked as a joke.

TSR has always been a bit like this, but Ive found the backroom folk are increasingly being very judgemental and cliquey, being quite mean at times, aalong with a lot more trolls.

The Medicine Forum fort is being held up well by Hygeia though :yy:
    i dont think so..... but adream is an accepted troll. what clements did is she made a parody of it. i doubt people "applied" thinking oh it's real serious... otherwise welll.... ok maybe i take that back. some might have. urgh.

TSR is mean. seen the trolls and whatnot in H&R and all that? even if they arent subs, there's a lot of trolls.... and cliquey you just get that with knowing them better. :dontknow: im cliquey with you lot too. and well didnt adream add all of the medics because he knew you lot? it's basically the same thing imo.

but they're all in chat now, i guess where they belong. the mods should have been quicker with it though.

yeah medicine is like a safehaven . hygeia does an awesome job :yes:

(Original post by jonnyofengland)
    I can't say that I've particularly noticed a backroom crowd being any more judgmental than a lot of non-members, but then I don't tend to observe too closely. What does tend to happen though is that generally members get away with saying more because they have higher rep, and consequently some people are scared to disagree or argue with them.

Which is patently pathetic.
    this.

ReputationRep:
    :hi: I'm going home, finally!!!:thumbsup: :grin: Just have to wait for few hours till my flight!!!!

ReputationRep:
    :afraid: exam in 1hr 15mins... feel hopelessly underprepared for the morning exam :sad: though will do a few more practice questions and read through some more anatomy as a last ditch attempt to make it stick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    :afraid: exam in 1hr 45mins... feel hopelessly underprepared for the morning exam :sad: though will do a few more practice questions and read through some more anatomy as a last ditch attempt to make it stick!
    Good luck! I have my fingers crossed for you

ReputationRep:
    :afraid: exam in 1hr 15mins... feel hopelessly underprepared for the morning exam :sad: though will do a few more practice questions and read through some more anatomy as a last ditch attempt to make it stick!
    Good luck! I'm sure you will make it!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I got a chance to view the highlights (and the two camera angles) and tbh I have to agree wuth the Chief. He's completely red handed from the road angle and if you look at the chopper footage, even though the road does slightly pinch down, his line clearly impedes on Hushovd - more so than the "racing line" would suggest.

Even if we were to give him the benefit of the doubt...the fact it was his green rival doesn't bode well for him :p:
    That's the thing I guess, it was just far too convenient that it was Hushovd that was there :p:

ReputationRep:
    I know it's too late, but good luck :hugs:

ReputationRep:

As for how I will vote....EU was UKIP and for a GE not sure, will either be Con or LPUK (I am aware this is somewhat of a throwaway vote :p:)
    Throwaway vote or not, i'm voting LPUK :woo:

And :eek: at Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - i've got the whole set but forgot to read them :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.