Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    Is the skin the most boring organ in the human body?

Yes, yes it is :sadnod:
    Why do your fingers go all wrinkly after going in the water :beard: I've always thought that because there's more water, surely it shouldn't wrinkle - and I can't see there being less water when you're submerged in a pool of the stuff :p:

Must be relaxing to be a dermatologist though - no on-calls, not really long hours, no real skin emergencies to deal with...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Why do your fingers go all wrinkly after going in the water :beard: I've always thought that because there's more water, surely it shouldn't wrinkle - and I can't see there being less water when you're submerged in a pool of the stuff :p:
    I've always wondered that too.

ReputationRep:

Must be relaxing to be a dermatologist though - no on-calls, not really long hours, no real skin emergencies to deal with...
    Oh, we were thinking about it in the wrong way. The wrinkles are caused by water entering rather than leaving because of there being a lower water potential IN the skin, well it seems so according to yahoo:

Your skin is comprised of two layers -- the epidermis and the dermis. The epidermis produces an oily protein called sebum, which is effective in repelling water. It's also the material that causes fingerprints.

Inevitably, a nice long soak in a bathtub sloughs off the excess sebum from your epidermis. As a result, your skin starts to take on water. The top layer of the epidermis is known as the stratum corneum, which is Latin for "horny layer." These are the tough, dead skin cells that are constantly being sloughed off your body in your clothes, your bed, and in the form of dandruff. Disturbing, but true.

Your fingers and toes have especially thick layers of stratum corneum. Once deprived of sebum, they swell up with water, causing wrinkles. This osmosis effect is harmless and temporary. One you get out of the tub, the extra water evaporates, leaving your skin even drier than before because there is no sebum to help retain moisture. This is a good time to apply lotion or oil to help your skin retain some of the water.
    One of the mysteries of the world is solved. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Oh, we were thinking about it in the wrong way. The wrinkles are caused by water entering rather than leaving because of there being a lower water potential IN the skin, well it seems so according to yahoo:

One of the mysteries of the world is solved. :woo:
    Mmm, but I've always thought that as there's more water in the skin, your skin should swell up or something instead of wrinkling up - just how "fluid" is skin :p: Interesting anyway, thanks. I might wiki it later as well.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, but I've always thought that as there's more water in the skin, your skin should swell up or something instead of wrinkling up - just how "fluid" is skin :p: Interesting anyway, thanks. I might wiki it later as well.
    Well I'd have thought that too, but I don't suppose that all of it could swell because I doubt that much water can enter, because not all the sebum comes off and there must be some sort of barrier against you becoming a swollen mess :p: so it might just be a little water entering some of the layers that causes it to wrinkle by changing shape a little by becoming more tense in some parts.

Oooh, more answers:

There are various theories of why fingers and toes wrinkle in water. Most biologists suggest that the tough outer layer of skin made up of dead keratin cells is responsible. Keratin is a protein found in hair, nails, and the outermost layer of our skin.

While a person is in the pool or a bathtub for a long time, an oily protein called sebum starts to slough off our hands. This then lets the liquid to come in contact with the dead keratin cells that absorb water. This absorption causes the surface area of the skin to swell, but the outer layer is tightly attached to the living tissue. To compensate for the increased surface area, our skin wrinkles.

Why does this happen to hands and feet and not to other parts of the body? Because the hands and feet have the thickest layer of dead keratin cells. Our hands and feet are subjected to a lot of wear and tear.
    That one explains it better I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    This is probably the latest i've ever got up :p:

feels terrible :sad:

ReputationRep:
    UGH I managed to get up this morning literally 2 minutes before noon. It's a step in the right direction.

A little annoyed cos some one neg repped me and didn't bother leaving their name...it upsets me

ReputationRep:
    Driving lesson :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    I feel so undervalued, not even my blood is wanted :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    how come?
    i should start giving blood..hmm..

ReputationRep:

I'm not allowed to give blood for another 6 months because of my tattoo. I wonder why actually because since I've got it I've had med school blood tests... and as far as I know I don't have hep B...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    Driving lesson
    hope it goes/has gone ok

I feel so undervalued, not even my blood is wanted
    they don't want mine either :console:

(Original post by beccy.)
    how come?
    do it, do it, do it :p:
    I donated blood on boxing day once and got some nice Thornton chocolates out of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I'm not allowed to give blood for another 6 months because of my tattoo. I wonder why actually because since I've got it I've had med school blood tests... and as far as I know I don't have hep B...
    (Original post by beccy.)
    how come?
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    they don't want mine either :console:

do it, do it, do it :p:
    I donated blood on boxing day once and got some nice Thornton chocolates out of it
    I had the third hep B jab last week, and apparently they cant take blood within 7 days of that.

Funny how when they said no, they all went "But you'll come back next time yes? YES?" :laugh:

Anyone know a reason for this?

ReputationRep:
    you cant give blood within 7 days of any kind of injection, as far as i'm aware.
    but i dont know why.

ReputationRep:
    Ok has anyone heard of a TSR member called "Involuntary Slacker", he just sent me the wierdest messege ever...

Thats the second one in a week, I'm a little freaked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)

Seriously? That's early for me :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    Ok has anyone heard of a TSR member called "Involuntary Slacker", he just sent me the wierdest messege ever...

The infactuation one? I got it too :p:

ReputationRep:
    :console:

i should go give blood. but since ive been in korea.. erm not only in the major cities, i cant for like 6 months :moon:. [i went to my grandfather's, grandmother's and uncles graves... they are like on a mountain]

I had the third hep B jab last week, and apparently they cant take blood within 7 days of that.

Funny how when they said no, they all went "But you'll come back next time yes? YES?" :laugh:

Anyone know a reason for this?
    because they need blood? :p:
    what bloodtype are you?

(Original post by fatal)

kind of...
    he remembered i was from malmö after i'd forgotten i told him i lived here :yes:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)

saturday come quickly so i can sleep like i normally do :moon:

ReputationRep:
    The infactuation one? I got it too :p:
    With Akon's "I wanna **** you" video attached?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    With Akon's "I wanna **** you" video attached?
    :yep: thats the one

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.