Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    A) that's me already, i'm the most unfit person on the planet - though weirdly i'm pretty thin :woo:

B) i'll have done bungee jumping and all that before i'm old - and actually i'm not all that keen in getting old
    Emphysema is nothing like being unfit If you get tight chests ever, when you just feel like you're not getting enough oxygen, I imagine that's what emphysema is like, continuously.

A) a long life doesn't interest me, a happy one does
    B) would give me something to do
    C) I actually like the smell
    D) I could collect lighters
    E) it would surprise my friends - surprise is good
    F) the risk is what makes it fun

oh and G) smokers are far more interesting people than non-smokers in general
    A) It's highly likely a life without cigarettes will end up being much more happy than a life with them. The addiction, in the end, may become a

B) Not really. You'd have as much more to do as a person addicted to lollipops or toast.

C) The smell is ok, until it's on you, on your breath and around your friends and potentially, your family. Then it's repulsive.

D) Do that anyway! It's cheaper than collecting lighters, smoke and health problems.

E) Do that by spending the money on a surprise party.

F) The risk is more what makes it deadly.

G) How? It's not like they have more to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I like risks, like the other day I shot up some heroin cos there was only a risk of me overdosing and dying.
    :rofl:

But if that's what you want to do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I like risks, like the other day I shot up some heroin cos there was only a risk of me overdosing and dying.
    Ah but ya see, that's different - the odds are far too much against you in that case - besides, heroin is a pain to get hold of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Maybe.

My view on this is it is an individual choice and it is not my place to judge.
    I take the same view with pretty much anything
    No ones judging, just trying to speak sense into him.

Is it really that big a deal?

It doesn't change who I am
    Then why to do think smoking will make you more interesting?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe.

My view on this is it is an individual choice and it is not my place to judge.
    I take the same view with pretty much anything
    Bang on. No point in judging, especially if you don't know the guy. Anyway, aren't medics supposed to not judge? Ok, well, their patients :p:

ReputationRep:

yes it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccy.)
    seriously slowly losing all respect for you if you're going to smoke for those reasons.
    its a disgusting horrible habit and you arent even addicted. you're making a conscious decision.
    do you think all the people with COPD or with 40-a-day habits who are constantly trying and failing to give up dont sit and wish theyd never become addicted in the first place? obv not all of them do, but im willing to bet most have thought it at least once.
    dont ruin your life.
    My mother suffers from COPD since she started smoked from a young age. It actually screwed me up whilst we were studying COPD and smoking, I spent two weeks looking a blackened lungs, emphysema and bronchitis and told all about the death rates. I literally couldn't look at the screen and when I opened my textbook and it said "COPD is the worlds 3rd largest killer" I had to shut it immediately.

The fact that people like other citrus who aren't addicted but plan to be makes me feel v v sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)

Then why to do think smoking will make you more interesting?
    Well, for a start we're having this debate because of smoking - and all the people I look up to smoke (well not all, but most)

ReputationRep:
    yes it is.
    I'm sorry, but I just really don't get why :confused:

ReputationRep:

It's a big deal for some. For example I'd never date a smoker.

It does seem to me that you want to do it as a teenage rebellion thing so us lot ganging up saying don't smoke is probably pushing you further into wanting to...just don't be offended if I ever meet you and you light up, because I will walk about 10 metres away :p:

But fair enough, if you want to smoke that's your decision. I hope that you have properly considered the damage to your health associated with it and if you decide to smoke then I hope that it fulfills the reasons why you started. I really hope that doesn't sound patronising either, because it is sincere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Bang on. No point in judging, especially if you don't know the guy. Anyway, aren't medics supposed to not judge? Ok, well, their patients :p:
    They can think what they like, so long as they don't say anything :p:

No ones judging, just trying to speak sense into him.
    I think he knows the risks, if he chooses to do it anyway then he has made an informed decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    My mother suffers from COPD since she started smoked from a young age. It actually screwed me up whilst we were studying COPD and smoking, I spent two weeks looking a blackened lungs, emphysema and bronchitis and told all about the death rates. I literally couldn't look at the screen and when I opened my textbook and it said "COPD is the worlds 3rd largest killer" I had to shut it immediately.

The fact that people like other citrus who aren't addicted but plan to be makes me feel v v sick.
    :hugs:
    it frustrates me so much that he cant.. see this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    It's a big deal for some. For example I'd never date a smoker.

It does seem to me that you want to do it as a teenage rebellion thing so us lot ganging up saying don't smoke is probably pushing you further into wanting to...just don't be offended if I ever meet you and you light up, because I will walk about 10 metres away :p:

But fair enough, if you want to smoke that's your decision. I hope that you have properly considered the damage to your health associated with it and if you decide to smoke then I hope that it fulfills the reasons why you started. I really hope that doesn't sound patronising either, because it is sincere.
    Yeah, yeah I get you - but i'm not being pushed further into wanting to, i'm finding all this very interesting - I never realised people were so against it tbh

ReputationRep:
    They can think what they like, so long as they don't say anything :p:

I think he knows the risks, if he chooses to do it anyway then he has made an informed decision
    would you ever date a smoker?

ReputationRep:
    tbph he doesn't. Not even close.

ReputationRep:
    tbph he doesn't. Not even close.
    this.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, yeah I get you - but i'm not being pushed further into wanting to, i'm finding all this very interesting - I never realised people were so against it tbh
    I think it's because most people think it is plain disgusting let alone all the health risks, how much it costs etc :p:

I've always been anti-smoking but after having bronchitis and not being able to breathe with a really bad cough, which is REALLY unpleasant, I wouldn't even dream of trying a fag.

ReputationRep:
    Well, for a start we're having this debate because of smoking - and all the people I look up to smoke (well not all, but most)
    But, you don't look up to them because they smoke, right?

There are so many other things you could do to fulfil all those things, without the health effects and probably without the continuous expense. Don't take the posts on this thread as an offense because we're not trying to make you look bad because of it, just pointing out how much more a healthy life can be worth, and how much more you could do with your life and your money.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs:
    it frustrates me so much that he cant.. see this.
    Just to add to this, The impact on my family has been huge, which is something smokers dont understand.

ReputationRep:
    would you ever date a smoker?
    I don't know

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 9, 2009

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.