Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    Yeah, you could have kept that to yourself though :hmmm:
    My purpose isn't to be biased either way, but to give the closest figure I can find.

ReputationRep:
    I have a brilliant idea! Next time I fill my car with petrol I buy some, smoke them, and let you all know if it'll be worth it in the future :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    My purpose isn't to be biased either way, but to give the closest figure I can find.
    Is it sore, sitting on that fence? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have a brilliant idea! Next time I fill my car with petrol I buy some, smoke them, and let you all know if it'll be worth it in the future :yep:
    Ever heard of nicotine? It's a bit addictive you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    Ever heard of nicotine? It's a bit addictive you know.
    it can't surely be wrong to want to know what they're like

ReputationRep:
    Is it sore, sitting on that fence? :p:
    Being biased when presenting statistics is something I hate, doing so would be hypocritical of me

ReputationRep:
    Being biased when presenting statistics is something I hate, doing so would be hypocritical of me
    Hmm I suppose

ReputationRep:
    Its all very well wanting to experience things, but you've got to know where to draw the line.

For example I hear freefalling without a 'chute is an exhillirating experience, but its one I wont be trying.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8086142.stm

This says about 5 bn so smokers pay 2x that
    Maybe now they do, but what about all the smokers who have been addicted for 40, 50 years and didn't pay such high taxes? I don't think it's as simple as how much they pay now and how much they cost now.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that's what starts most people off on addictive smoking.

ReputationRep:
    Its all very well wanting to experience things, but you've got to know where to draw the line.

For example I hear freefalling without a 'chute is an exhillirating experience, but its one I wont be trying.
    One packet of cigarettes isn't going to kill me, freefalling without a parachute almost certainly will, unless I land on a trampoline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    Maybe now they do, but what about all the smokers who have been addicted for 40, 50 years and didn't pay such high taxes? I don't think it's as simple as how much they pay now and how much they cost now.
    Well they are the ones being treated now...so the generation now is paying for the previous generation.
    No different to any other government body and much better than the ultimate ponzi scheme that is dept for work and pensions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    The problem is that's what starts most people off on addictive smoking.
    But i'd find it hard to justify paying out for it all the time - and i'm not about to get into mugging old people

ReputationRep:

In a way though, it might work out in the long term. A lot of people try cigarettes and absolutely hate the taste of it and don't touch another cigarette in their life. In a way, I hope it works out like that, for NOCF's health alone.

ReputationRep:
    One packet of cigarettes isn't going to kill me, freefalling without a parachute almost certainly will, unless I land on a trampoline
    Obviously it wasn't a direct comparison. But like Jess says, it more often than not starts an addiction which is hard to get out of.

ReputationRep:
    Well they are the ones being treated now...so the generation now is paying for the previous generation.
    No different to any other government body and much better than the ultimate ponzi scheme that is dept for work and pensions
    Still don't think it's as simple as that though - I suppose it's something that has so many factors that you couldn't really get a straight answer one way or another.

ReputationRep:
    In a way though, it might work out in the long term. A lot of people try cigarettes and absolutely hate the taste of it and don't touch another cigarette in their life. In a way, I hope it works out like that, for NOCF's health alone.
    Fortunately (or unfortunately if we're following your argument), there are other brands available :yep: / :sadnod:

Edit: if you're interested, i'm thinking of marlboro - you know, the ones with the red top :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Still don't think it's as simple as that though - I suppose it's something that has so many factors that you couldn't really get a straight answer one way or another.
    I think £10bn paid to £5bn cost seems pretty clear to me.

ReputationRep:
    Why risk it purely to be able to say you tried it? Yes, some people dont like it, but most people do, and it's silly to get addicted because of this.

ReputationRep:
    I always quite fancied owning a pipe, so that when I come home in my Saville Row suit, I can puff it intelligently while my Butler reads out the headlines of the daily papers.

However, it'd be much more my style if I used bubbles instead of tobacco. :holmes:

But anyway, enough talk about all this bad stuff for us! Let's lighten the mood and talk about something healthy. What's everyone's favourite type of alcohol? :king3:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.