Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    Fortunately (or unfortunately if we're following your argument), there are other brands available :yep: / :sadnod:

Edit: if you're interested, i'm thinking of marlboro - you know, the ones with the red top :yep:
    Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    Why risk it purely to be able to say you tried it? Yes, some people dont like it, but most people do, and it's silly to get addicted because of this.
    Yes, but you only live once.

My philosophy is to try everything once, unless there's a very high chance of you only being able to try it once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    I think £10bn paid to £5bn cost seems pretty clear to me.
    Your argument completely removes the government.

Yes, in numerical terms it works out, but how much of that 10bn do you think is included in the NHS budget?

ReputationRep:
    Why risk it purely to be able to say you tried it? Yes, some people dont like it, but most people do, and it's silly to get addicted because of this.
    I'm not advocating it, of course not. He seems pretty set on doing it so I'm just trying to find a potential silver lining.

ReputationRep:
    Fortunately (or unfortunately if we're following your argument), there are other brands available :yep: / :sadnod:

Edit: if you're interested, i'm thinking of marlboro - you know, the ones with the red top :yep:
    That's the thing, then, you seem to already be set on carrying on with them rather than trying, therefore trying a packet is unlikely to have any sort of negative effect on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)

But anyway, enough talk about all this bad stuff for us! Let's lighten the mood and talk about something healthy. What's everyone's favourite type of alcohol? :king3:
    :lolwut:

*cough*Cough*cirrhosis*cough* :p:

Personally- cider more specifically rattler

ReputationRep:
    I think £10bn paid to £5bn cost seems pretty clear to me.
    Well, it's not to me. I think it's not just a case of 10 billion in, 5 billion out. We're going to have to agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but you only live once.

My philosophy is to try everything once, unless there's a very high chance of you only being able to try it once.
    Trying everything once should be reserved for life experiences in my book. By that logic, trying unprotected sex with someone with chlamydia once would be on the agenda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    That's the thing, then, you seem to already be set on carrying on with them rather than trying, therefore trying a packet is unlikely to have any sort of negative effect on you.
    Yeah, but I may not like it :dontknow:

that would be disappointing though :p:

Look guys, I hope you don't think less of me because of all this....

ReputationRep:
    Your argument completely removes the government.

Yes, in numerical terms it works out, but how much of that 10bn do you think is included in the NHS budget?
    Irrelevant, whatever the government spends it on makes no difference, 10bn from **** is the same as 10bn from income tax, doesn't matter which one ends up in the NHS

ReputationRep:
    One packet of cigarettes isn't going to kill me, freefalling without a parachute almost certainly will, unless I land on a trampoline
    you'd prob still die...

ReputationRep:
    Irrelevant, whatever the government spends it on makes no difference, 10bn from **** is the same as 10bn from income tax, doesn't matter which one ends up in the NHS
    Ok, lets put it this way, if tax went up to 12bn, do you think an extra 2bn would go into the NHS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Trying everything once should be reserved for life experiences in my book. By that logic, trying unprotected sex with someone with chlamydia once would be on the agenda.
    Fine, we shall change the philosophy to: try everything once, unless there's a high chance of that one thing seriously harming your health - that better?

And as for "unprotected sex with someone with chlamydia"

maybe but only if they're A) really fit, and B) no chance of meeting up later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    Well, it's not to me. I think it's not just a case of 10 billion in, 5 billion out. We're going to have to agree to disagree.
    Looks like it unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but I may not like it :dontknow:

that would be disappointing though :p:

Look guys, I hope you don't think less of me because of all this....
    I don't think people are saying it in a way that would mean they'd think less of you because of it (except beccy who sort of directly said that), but we are trying to make you see how it's not as attractive a prospect as it seems.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

*cough*Cough*cirrhosis*cough* :p:

Personally- cider more specifically rattler
    It was sarcastic you know. :p:

My point was that we shouldn't judge. Alcohol is no good for me at all - I've drank fluorescent blue liquid which looks like poison before - but I'm not going to stop drinking it. Logically, there's no argument to drink, it's bad for you and creates a whole raft of social problems.

But nobody's perfect, and I enjoy it. Unless you're the most risk-aversive person, you can't really criticise another person's lifestyle. And then your life wouldn't be much fun anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, lets put it this way, if tax went up to 12bn, do you think an extra 2bn would go into the NHS?
    nope, but that's down to the government, the whole government benefits though. It means the 2bn less is needed to be levied from elsewhere ie from non smokers.
    They are subsidising others.

ReputationRep:

My point was that we shouldn't judge. Alcohol is no good for me at all - I've drank fluorescent blue liquid which looks like poison before - but I'm not going to stop drinking it. Logically, there's no argument to drink, it's bad for you and creates a whole raft of social problems.

But nobody's perfect, and I enjoy it. Unless you're the most risk-aversive person, you can't really criticise another person's lifestyle. And then your life wouldn't be much fun anyway.
    Which it exactly my view :top:

I have as of yet though not drank anything florescent

ReputationRep:
    Which it exactly my view :top:

I have as of yet though not drank anything florescent
    Mate it was ******* amazing. And it tasted of Christmas. :awesome:

ReputationRep:

I see your point, I'd never dislike someone for it, but usually drinking is something I do on the occasion I go out at night (I realise for some people it's different but I don't really like people binge drinking all the time either) and it's not as addictive. I'd like to think that I'd say the same to a friend who was overdoing it on drinking, though sometimes it seems unlikely I would, I think smoking is given a VERY negative stigma in this country. It could be justified in some ways, though I realise alcohol is almost on the same levels.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.