Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    No, opinon =/= emotion
    I said smoking isn't worth it imo, I just don't dress it up further than that.

:rofl:

More amusing is the difference 20m can make in london to LE
    I think sometimes, when you're talking about a friend's decision, a little emotion can mean a lot to them. Whether they're in two minds, whether they're not in two minds, it just means a lot.

ReputationRep:
    If someone want to take them up to them.
    Why someone wants to take them :dontknow: they probably have there reasons
    I'm not sure you understand, so let me explain my reasons fully. The majority of people who take them do so because they feel pressured into it at gyms and the like because they aren't bulky enough.

It's peer pressure at a ridiculous extent, and yet very little has been done to combat it.

Hopefully now you understand that with them it's not as simple as your first sentence made it sound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    opinions are formed from how we feel about the nature of the topic.

feelings on these matters are a form of emotion. I cant see how being a drone about a topic is beneficial to anyone.
    Quite, the fruit basket should man up and settle it with a drinking contest methinks.

ReputationRep:
    opinions are formed from how we feel about the nature of the topic.

feelings on these matters are a form of emotion. I cant see how being a drone about a topic is beneficial to anyone.
    I am not trying to be a drone :p:

All I am doing is looking at the numbers, risk/benefit.
    I don't feel that feelings need to go into that other than how you use the information, some people think it shows one thing, others something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    Quite, the fruit basket should man up and settle it with a drinking contest methinks.
    Methinks this is the preferred method for settling things at med school, yes? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Im liking the idea, but only with spirits. :p:

How are you anyway? Haven't spoken to you in a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    I'm not sure you understand, so let me explain my reasons fully. The majority of people who take them do so because they feel pressured into it at gyms and the like because they aren't bulky enough.

It's peer pressure at a ridiculous extent, and yet very little has been done to combat it.

Hopefully now you understand that with them it's not as simple as your first sentence made it sound.
    I agree peer pressure associated with these things is a problem, same goes for pretty much any illegal substance and others that are legal

(Original post by Jessaay!)
    I think sometimes, when you're talking about a friend's decision, a little emotion can mean a lot to them. Whether they're in two minds, whether they're not in two minds, it just means a lot.
    I have stated my opinion, not worth it.
    I can ram it down his throat if he wants.

@ terp, by all means we can try that :p: I will lose but there you go :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    This - it just looks like you don't care tbh Lemon - plus, you know what i'm like, and what that sort of thing means to me, which ok, is probably a fault - but that's me i'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    I am not trying to be a drone :p:

All I am doing is looking at the numbers, risk/benefit.
    I don't feel that feelings need to go into that other than how you use the information, some people think it shows one thing, others something else.
    Or in other words you dont want to have a different opinion in fear of confrontation? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    Methinks this is the preferred method for settling things at med school, yes? :p:
    With my mates its generally a "you aren't drunk enough yet, drink this!" job.

ReputationRep:
    I can ram it down his throat if he wants.
    Now there's an offer you don't get every day :hubba:

ReputationRep:
    Or in other words you dont want to have a different opinion in fear of confrontation? :p:
    Oh no, confrontation doesn't bother me. I will stand my ground when attacked, I did when it came to the cost/benefit to the government of fag I did.

I have stated what I think on the matter. I feel no need to go further in this case.

ReputationRep:
    Big as I don't doubt it is, i'm pretty sure it won't reach me in Norfolk :p:

ReputationRep:
    Was that highly profound piece of literary excellence directed at my reply?

Evening too by the way, do hope you are well.
    Indeed it was. I can imagine you would have done well in other, more intellectually taxing subjects. Still, you speak lots of sense, particularly wrt the holier-than-thou attitude, which I myself find extremely annoying at times. Whenever I have a conversation with other medical applicants, I always seem to get "the look" whenever I'm in anyway honest about everything... such as the time when I mentioned that my voluntary work feeding patients at my local hospital, whilst a good thing to do, was mind-numbingly boring. You always get the look and the... "and you want to be a doctor??" sentiment which I find extremely annoying.

I really do envy everyone who knows, like really knows that medicine is going to be the thing for them right from a very early age. I've changed my mind so many times and I have my doubts still, and I've thought many a time before that with everything I could have gone into and been perfectly satisfied with... history, biological sciences, zoology... I picked medicine. I'm not saying it's not something I can see myself doing or would enjoy doing, but just how much I enjoy it... I'll have to wait and see. I really do enjoy learning the science though, and I do hope it'll be more learning than memorising - although the distinction between the two can be a bit... hazy, sometimes.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Im liking the idea, but only with spirits. :p:

How are you anyway? Haven't spoken to you in a while.
    I'm alright thanks, swooped back in after being asked to apply myself to that 'why do you regret doing medicine' thread.

I drove to Bristol airport in the pissing rain today, just as the rain stopped all the electrics in my car exploded. I shall try an exorcism tomorrow.

I managed to drive back just before dark with the aid of hand signals, no wipers, and avoiding my lack of brake lights being an issue by driving like a loon. Fun stuff.

Hows everything with you?

ReputationRep:

A poor turn of phrase on my part :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, confrontation doesn't bother me. I will stand my ground when attacked, I did when it came to the cost/benefit to the government of fag I did.

I have stated what I think on the matter. I feel no need to go further in this case.
    I'm very sorry, but for probably the first time, you're completely wrong - it's a pity you don't see this tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    I'm very sorry, but for probably the first time, you're completely wrong - it's a pity you don't see this tbh
    That's up to you. I am not however going to change what I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Indeed it was. I can imagine you would have done well in other, more intellectually taxing subjects. Still, you speak lots of sense, particularly wrt the holier-than-thou attitude, which I myself find extremely annoying at times. Whenever I have a conversation with other medical applicants, I always seem to get "the look" whenever I'm in anyway honest about everything... such as the time when I mentioned that my voluntary work feeding patients at my local hospital, whilst a good thing to do, was mind-numbingly boring. You always get the look and the... "and you want to be a doctor??" sentiment which I find extremely annoying.

I really do envy everyone who knows, like really knows that medicine is going to be the thing for them right from a very early age. I've changed my mind so many times and I have my doubts still, and I've thought many a time before that with everything I could have gone into and been perfectly satisfied with... history, biological sciences, zoology... I picked medicine. I'm not saying it's not something I can see myself doing or would enjoy doing, but just how much I enjoy it... I'll have to wait and see. I really do enjoy learning the science though, and I do hope it'll be more learning than memorising - although the distinction between the two can be a bit... hazy, sometimes.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do anyway.
    Life is always full of doubts, those without them are either stupid or insane.

Don't worry yourself too much about weather medicine is for you or not, I'll be waiting for you on the other side.

ReputationRep:

A poor turn of phrase on my part :p:
    Sorry. It was just too tempting :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.