Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    That's up to you. I am not however going to change what I think.
    I'm not sure what you're arguing now, but if you're arguing what I think you are, then it's a shame you don't see what I mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Indeed it was. I can imagine you would have done well in other, more intellectually taxing subjects. Still, you speak lots of sense, particularly wrt the holier-than-thou attitude, which I myself find extremely annoying at times. Whenever I have a conversation with other medical applicants, I always seem to get "the look" whenever I'm in anyway honest about everything... such as the time when I mentioned that my voluntary work feeding patients at my local hospital, whilst a good thing to do, was mind-numbingly boring. You always get the look and the... "and you want to be a doctor??" sentiment which I find extremely annoying.

I really do envy everyone who knows, like really knows that medicine is going to be the thing for them right from a very early age. I've changed my mind so many times and I have my doubts still, and I've thought many a time before that with everything I could have gone into and been perfectly satisfied with... history, biological sciences, zoology... I picked medicine. I'm not saying it's not something I can see myself doing or would enjoy doing, but just how much I enjoy it... I'll have to wait and see. I really do enjoy learning the science though, and I do hope it'll be more learning than memorising - although the distinction between the two can be a bit... hazy, sometimes.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do anyway.
    I consider myself v v lucky that I've wanted to do medicine since I was about 8. :redface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I consider myself v v lucky that I've wanted to do medicine since I was about 8. :redface:
    I did too, until it was a bit late...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    Sorry. It was just too tempting :p:
    :rofl: I know I don't blame you for it

(Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    I'm not sure what you're arguing now, but if you're arguing what I think you are, then it's a shame you don't see what I mean
    I probably don't, its 11:30 so my brain isnt functioning at its best, maybe if you explain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    Life is always full of doubts, those without them are either stupid or insane.

Don't worry yourself too much about weather medicine is for you or not, I'll be waiting for you on the other side.
    Well, good to hear :p: I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    After all these years, does it live up to your expectations?

ReputationRep:
    I'm alright thanks, swooped back in after being asked to apply myself to that 'why do you regret doing medicine' thread.

I drove to Bristol airport in the pissing rain today, just as the rain stopped all the electrics in my car exploded. I shall try an exorcism tomorrow.

I managed to drive back just before dark with the aid of hand signals, no wipers, and avoiding my lack of brake lights being an issue by driving like a loon. Fun stuff.

Hows everything with you?
    Doesnt sound like a half bad game :p: See how far you can get with no electronics before getting stopped or crashing..

Things are alright over here, only the entire contents of my house is boxed, forcing myself to live on ready meals, and have very little to do.

In this room alone? 12 boxes :o:

On the bright side I have very little to do now. I might venture to do some basic car maintanence stuff tomorrow. Like wash it :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I did too, until it was a bit late...
    I'm hoping I retain my positivity for a little longer. I think as long as I have some decent banter with friends to back me up I'll be ok, nothing can be as bad as studying A-levels with the most boring people on earth right?!

ReputationRep:

I probably don't, its 11:30 so my brain isnt functioning at its best, maybe if you explain?
    Well, you seemed to be arguing that it is better to state the facts and leave it at that, which you may well be right about (though i'm opinionated myself so i'd never stop there). But then you don't seem to realise that in the case of a friend maybe you should go further than that, and show you care by trying to stop them doing something that may potentially harm them. Just saying "here are the facts if you want to smoke go ahead" is fine for someone you don't know, I just imagined it'd be different for me - sorry but that's what I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I'm hoping I retain my positivity for a little longer. I think as long as I have some decent banter with friends to back me up I'll be ok, nothing can be as bad as studying A-levels with the most boring people on earth right?!
    Hold that thought. You'll need it later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    After all these years, does it live up to your expectations?
    I love it. Honestly.

Although for me things are little more complicated than the average student, coming from a neglectful childhood and being a young carer the opportunity to move country, have my own living space, meet new people at the same time as finally learning something that fascinates me is heaven.

I knew the course would be a challenge so thats ok. The atmosphere of the medical school and opportunities presented makes up for the caffeine addiction and 4am departures from the library.

To answer your question it actually exceeds them. I don't expect much from anything so anything good is great in my books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    Doesnt sound like a half bad game :p: See how far you can get with no electronics before getting stopped or crashing..

Things are alright over here, only the entire contents of my house is boxed, forcing myself to live on ready meals, and have very little to do.

In this room alone? 12 boxes :o:

On the bright side I have very little to do now. I might venture to do some basic car maintanence stuff tomorrow. Like wash it :awesome:
    Somehow my ignition survived thankfully, thus I was ok.

Car washing does nothing for me, try learning to weld; its the most fun you'll ever have with your parents electricity bill.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you seemed to be arguing that it is better to state the facts and leave it at that, which you may well be right about (though i'm opinionated myself so i'd never stop there). But then you don't seem to realise that in the case of a friend maybe you should go further than that, and show you care by trying to stop them doing something that may potentially harm them. Just saying "here are the facts if you want to smoke go ahead" is fine for someone you don't know, I just imagined it'd be different for me - sorry but that's what I think
    Well in that case, no I don't think you should smoke.

I am always detached in this sort of thing its my nature.
    Last time I had a friend try to smoke (this was at the leavers ball) I just said, you realise the risks don't you? he said yes and I left it at that (in the end he didn't smoke because another friend chased him around the marquee to take his **** and lighter of him but there you go)
    I was probably slightly drunk at the time which means it probably isn't totally representative.

ReputationRep:

Last time I had a friend try to smoke (this was at the leavers ball) I just said, you realise the risks don't you? he said yes and I left it at that (in the end he didn't smoke because another friend chased him around the marquee to take his **** and lighter of him but there you go)
    I was probably slightly drunk at the time which means it probably isn't totally representative.
    I honestly cant understand this notion. :dontknow: It just seems natural to me that if a friend needed help like this, I'd want to jump in, even if it results in a falling out.

ReputationRep:

Yes, but this is me and that was them, we surely have a different friendship to them (and not like that before anyone makes that joke)

And I worded that carefully, I mean different, not better, though you know my thoughts on that

And, ok, it's your nature, but meh, I don't know - i'm not going to change that!

ReputationRep:
    I honestly cant understand this notion. :dontknow: It just seems natural to me that if a friend needed help like this, I'd want to jump in, even if it results in a falling out.
    I feel if they are sound of mind what gives me the right to interfere?
    If they want my opinion I will give it.

It is just a different way of looking at things, I very much value an individuals choice.

If I for whatever reason decided to do something and was sound of mind doing it, I wouldn't want to be preached to.

ReputationRep:
    I agree totally, besides he knows that getting me to fall out with him would involve actually stabbing me :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but this is me and that was them, we surely have a different friendship to them (and not like that before anyone makes that joke)

And I worded that carefully, I mean different, not better, though you know my thoughts on that

And, ok, it's your nature, but meh, I don't know - i'm not going to change that!
    It is different. How I treat this sort of situation doesn't change though.
    It is just me I guess, I am very odd when it comes to this sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I feel if they are sound of mind what gives me the right to interfere?
    Because you're a friend, and you should hopefully care enough to interfere.

And I put huge significance on individual's choice as you know

ReputationRep:
    Because you're a friend, and you should hopefully care enough to interfere.

And I put huge significance on individual's choice as you know
    And I would if I thought you were not sound of mind.
    Other than that I feel I personally no right to wrt you health or anything else

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.