Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I failed my first test today, on parallel parking. So annoyed as usually I am fine.

Anyway, now I have a major dilema- my instructor goes on holiday next week for 4 weeks, doesnt come back until the end of August. I seriously cannot wait another 6 weeks to take another test, because I know I can drive perfectly well!! Do I try and find another instructor with the same car, and do it in their car, or do I use my own car, and practise with my dad?!

ReputationRep:
    sorry to hear you failed.

What car does your instructor have? Often instructors have similar cars so as you said you maybe able to find another instructor.
    How comfortable are you driving your own car? If you feel confident using your own car i personally would do this- i used my own car, although it was quite similar to my instructors.
    Good luck for your next test.
    x

ReputationRep:
    Practice in your own car with your dad then sit the test in that.

If you're as confident as you say you are, the car shouldn't have that much of an influence. And besides, when you pass you'll only be driving your car, not your instructor's!

What did you do to fail by the way?

ReputationRep:
    I did mine in my car but was the same make year as instructorsss.

ReputationRep:
    Rumour has it that they don't like you doing it in your own car since they don't have control. But hey, I/loads of other people I know passed in their own cars, so it shouldn't make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    My instructor retired...and i failed my driving test :|.. so i couldnt be bothered getting a new instructor, so just today i picked up a fiat punto which i will now take my test in x

ReputationRep:
    I did it in my car which was completely different to the instructors one and passed. I did prefer my car though, depends how comfortable you are in your own car and how much you've practiced in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Practice in your own car with your dad then sit the test in that.

If you're as confident as you say you are, the car shouldn't have that much of an influence. And besides, when you pass you'll only be driving your car, not your instructor's!

What did you do to fail by the way?
    I failed cos I was too far from the kerb on the parralel park, so by the time I had straightened up enough I had gone past the 2 car lengths.

I am much more confident in my instructors car than my own tbh.

Does anyone know how many times you can change the test date? I have booked another one for the begining of september, but have just found one a week earlier. But if i change it now, can I change it again if I find another closer one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry_princess)
    I failed cos I was too far from the kerb on the parralel park, so by the time I had straightened up enough I had gone past the 2 car lengths.

I am much more confident in my instructors car than my own tbh.

Does anyone know how many times you can change the test date? I have booked another one for the begining of september, but have just found one a week earlier. But if i change it now, can I change it again if I find another closer one?
    You can change it three times

ReputationRep:
    I looked into doing it, but was thwarted by the requirement for the examiners seat to be fitted with a head restraint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by small&mighty)
    You can change it three times
    ah ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    I passed in my own car but i deffo got the feeling that the examiners prefer to be in a dual control car with all of the passenger mirrors, not just the rear view ect. I kinda felt they looked down on it that was all, wouldnt make or break a test, if your good enough you'll pass. Simple as.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.