Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My mum is being a bloody nightmare Watch

My mum is 47 which is hardly old, but i have noticed that since she hit her 40's she has become SO MARDY.

She flies off of the handle at the smallest little thing. Tells my brother and I we are worthless. My brother wants to be a pro golfer and is getting there, Im in med school.

I've had a friend die recently and all she could say was " well its his own stupid fault" im in pieces about this friend plus all the other work I have to do.

My brother has been helping her today ALL DAY doing house hold chores and she just turns around has a go at him for doing nothing.

She is just completely reasonable most of the time, i dont have the money to move out and besides my brother is 16 i wouldnt want to live him with it, we look after each other.

But sometimes i do wonder if there is something going on with her, shes very changeable, it doesnt take much for her to get VERY VERY angry .....screaming and shouting. Then when you try to reply to her all she says is " I dont want an arguments" yet she just instigated it, has her say and wont allow anyone else for them to say ...hang on a sec, your being utterly unfair.

She says she doesnt care about my medical career, that it costed too much money that she didnt want me to it in the first place. She makes me feel guilty for studying medicine, the cost of it....im working this summer after this exam...I just despair with her....

...Im trying to concentrate, the loss of my friend is so prominent in my mind i miss him so so much and all she can do is scream and shout at me when i havent done anything to provoke an argument.

Argh, what to do? Is it me?

*completely unreasonable

ReputationRep:
    Talk to her.

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore her. It's probably the menopause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x y z)
    Yes I would agree with this post .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My mum is 47 which is hardly old, but i have noticed that since she hit her 40's she has become SO MARDY.

She flies off of the handle at the smallest little thing. Tells my brother and I we are worthless. My brother wants to be a pro golfer and is getting there, Im in med school.

I've had a friend die recently and all she could say was " well its his own stupid fault" im in pieces about this friend plus all the other work I have to do.

My brother has been helping her today ALL DAY doing house hold chores and she just turns around has a go at him for doing nothing.

She is just completely reasonable most of the time, i dont have the money to move out and besides my brother is 16 i wouldnt want to live him with it, we look after each other.

But sometimes i do wonder if there is something going on with her, shes very changeable, it doesnt take much for her to get VERY VERY angry .....screaming and shouting. Then when you try to reply to her all she says is " I dont want an arguments" yet she just instigated it, has her say and wont allow anyone else for them to say ...hang on a sec, your being utterly unfair.

She says she doesnt care about my medical career, that it costed too much money that she didnt want me to it in the first place. She makes me feel guilty for studying medicine, the cost of it....im working this summer after this exam...I just despair with her....

...Im trying to concentrate, the loss of my friend is so prominent in my mind i miss him so so much and all she can do is scream and shout at me when i havent done anything to provoke an argument.

Argh, what to do? Is it me?
    No it isn't you, its very much her. Sounds like she could be entering her menopause and thats why she is having mood swings. I am not sure though, try sitting her down when she is in a reasonable mood and you and your brother should explain how her behaviour makes you feel. Or call your family doctor and describe what she is like and see what he/she thinks she might have. The doctor could then call your mum saying she is due a routine check-up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x y z)
    This! Menopause plays havoc with a woman's hormones (and as a result, her temperament).

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps she needs someone to talk to cos shes having a hard time?

ReputationRep:
    You just described my mom perfectly. Why must they be like this?

ReputationRep:
    She's lonely. She's scared. You would become a successful doctor etc and move out or whatever. Your bro might become a pro-golfer. You'll both be busy with your own lives, you'll forget about her. You probably wouldn't but she doesn't know that so you need to talk to her.

Or maybe I'm just reading into this too much and she's just going through her menopause or something.

(Original post by FuturamaLlama)
    Perhaps she needs someone to talk to cos shes having a hard time?
    Ive tried and tried...

.... I said to her, mum just calm down and sit down and have a tea for a second...

" I AM PERFECTLY CALM"

lulz....:rolleyes: yeh right.

ReputationRep:
    Surely what your describing there is just middle aged women? Seems like their all bloody like that

(And yes, before someone points it out this is a generalization but a pretty fair one in all honesty)

(Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
    She's lonely. She's scared. You would become a successful doctor etc and move out or whatever. Your bro might become a pro-golfer. You'll both be busy with your own lives, you'll forget about her. You probably wouldn't but she doesn't know that so you need to talk to her.

Or maybe I'm just reading into this too much and she's just going through her menopause or something.

No i think you are right, when i qualify i want to live in lodon, im trying to get an apartment by the thames....thats probably too much info, but anyway shes totally against the idea. ive met a guy who is lovely, and works in London successful and whatever....she also dislikes him. She dislikes the fact I want to be a surgeon. Shes overprotective at home...she doesnt want me to get a new car.EVEN THOUGH IM BUYING IT...."you arent ready for a powerful car" she says....ive been driving 2 and half years.

Ok im living under her roof, and she doesnt ask money of me...which im grateful for. But tbh i just couldnt cope with my academic work and a job....respect to any medics who do do another job whilst studying, i coulndto do it. I do try during the holidays and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    My mum is becoming senile i swear to god.
    I guess i can get some amusement out of my situation though..

Just be patient with her, she may feel like she doesnt have much else to focus her attention on than you and your brother.
    Find her a hobby, hah.

(Original post by mipegg)
    Surely what your describing there is just middle aged women? Seems like their all bloody like that

(And yes, before someone points it out this is a generalization but a pretty fair one in all honesty)
    Life is really bad for me at the moment.....really really bad.

And yet she is more miserable than i am. what is the point in moaning all the damn time? Everyone has problems, times are hard...its just like GTF over it

I sound unsympathetic, i know, its just ive had this moaning about this that and the other, the last 3 years. Its funny her mum was like it, she said to me when I was 15....dont ever let me get like that.....i told her, mum you're getting like it......" IM NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR OPINION IM NOT TRYING TO IMPRESS YOU..." :rolleyes:

(Original post by Peachykeen09)
    You just described my mom perfectly. Why must they be like this?
    You sound similiar to me reading your profile. Except with us, its we're italian lol :rolleyes:

wow i know how you feel!!! like just now my mum went mental. she painted the front hall, and when i went down into the kitchen she was like, dont let the dog in the hall i painted it, and i said i closed the door, meanin i knew she had painted and closed it so the dog couldnt get out!! And wow, she went off on one, your givin me attitude blah blah blah!!!!

i really know how you feel and i know, no matter what you say it dont make a difference, i think the best thing is to let her shout away and pretend to listen, and say nothing at all! let her believe she is always right

Shes just getting worse and worse.

She had a go at me, because she picked up a moisturiser at the supermarket instead of eye wipes (the container is really similiar) SHE WENT CRAZY AT ME. And i just said, well i didnt get them- you did. "DONT BLOODY TALK TO ME LIKE THAT" ....me : "Oh ok would you like me to change them for you?" her: "STOP TRYING TO WIND ME UP"

wtf. :confused: bloody menopausal women...do your damn head in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No i think you are right, when i qualify i want to live in lodon, im trying to get an apartment by the thames....thats probably too much info, but anyway shes totally against the idea. ive met a guy who is lovely, and works in London successful and whatever....she also dislikes him. She dislikes the fact I want to be a surgeon. Shes overprotective at home...she doesnt want me to get a new car.EVEN THOUGH IM BUYING IT...."you arent ready for a powerful car" she says....ive been driving 2 and half years.

Ok im living under her roof, and she doesnt ask money of me...which im grateful for. But tbh i just couldnt cope with my academic work and a job....respect to any medics who do do another job whilst studying, i coulndto do it. I do try during the holidays and stuff.
    From what you've said, she's obviously scared that she's losing you. Her being overprotective and worried shows that she does care about you, she doesn't know how to express it and thats why you thinks shes a nightmare. I'm sure lots of parents go through this so you need to just talk to her and she just needs to let go a bit.

I get the whole medic situation too, I'm only 15 and whenever I bring up wanting to do med my mother has a hissy fit cos she doesn't want me moving away either.

Try to comfort your mum, ease her mind and everything will get better.

ReputationRep:
    Does she have any friends that u might like to talk to about this. I'm sure ur mother would take them more seriously

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.