Turn on thread page Beta

My mum is being a bloody nightmare watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's her age/menopause. Trust me, she will calm down in a year or so, which seems like ages, but if you're lucky, you'll have many more years to come as an adult with her there as support. If you're lucky.
    Stick with it, try not to hold things against her and keep trying to be a good daughter (son?).

(Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
    From what you've said, she's obviously scared that she's losing you. Her being overprotective and worried shows that she does care about you, she doesn't know how to express it and thats why you thinks shes a nightmare. I'm sure lots of parents go through this so you need to just talk to her and she just needs to let go a bit.

I get the whole medic situation too, I'm only 15 and whenever I bring up wanting to do med my mother has a hissy fit cos she doesn't want me moving away either.

Try to comfort your mum, ease her mind and everything will get better.
    i got into a London med school, but i chose one closer to home...because it caused THAT many arguments....

...LONDON is DANGEROUS...what about terrorism? thats all i kept hearing, i was like :rolleyes:

Im trying to be a good daughter, its just hard when someone is so unreasonable 60% of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My mum is 47 which is hardly old, but i have noticed that since she hit her 40's she has become SO MARDY.

She flies off of the handle at the smallest little thing. Tells my brother and I we are worthless. My brother wants to be a pro golfer and is getting there, Im in med school.

I've had a friend die recently and all she could say was " well its his own stupid fault" im in pieces about this friend plus all the other work I have to do.

My brother has been helping her today ALL DAY doing house hold chores and she just turns around has a go at him for doing nothing.

She is just completely reasonable most of the time, i dont have the money to move out and besides my brother is 16 i wouldnt want to live him with it, we look after each other.

But sometimes i do wonder if there is something going on with her, shes very changeable, it doesnt take much for her to get VERY VERY angry .....screaming and shouting. Then when you try to reply to her all she says is " I dont want an arguments" yet she just instigated it, has her say and wont allow anyone else for them to say ...hang on a sec, your being utterly unfair.

She says she doesnt care about my medical career, that it costed too much money that she didnt want me to it in the first place. She makes me feel guilty for studying medicine, the cost of it....im working this summer after this exam...I just despair with her....

...Im trying to concentrate, the loss of my friend is so prominent in my mind i miss him so so much and all she can do is scream and shout at me when i havent done anything to provoke an argument.

Argh, what to do? Is it me?
    Sounds like my mum!

.. Its what mums are there for - to make us want to scream and punch something! And then make us feel bad!

Its probably menopause, maybe bring it up if its that bad. If not then try and make her laugh off her mood swings, works sometimes with me.. easier said than done, I know!

ReputationRep:
    i got into a London med school, but i chose one closer to home...because it caused THAT many arguments....

...LONDON is DANGEROUS...what about terrorism? thats all i kept hearing, i was like :rolleyes:

Im trying to be a good daughter, its just hard when someone is so unreasonable 60% of the time.
    :hugs: Don't hold it against her. You said you'd move to London when you qualify so just stick it out till then. Oh and pray you don't end up like that lol

ReputationRep:
    You sound similiar to me reading your profile. Except with us, its we're italian lol :rolleyes:
    Hahah. My mom always flips out over the smallest things. I don't think it's menopause though because she's been like this since I was 8. She needs a man, badly.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Get an aunt/uncle/friend to talk to her and tell her the situation. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a more extreme version of my mother- and my mother does my head in completely!

Whole hearted sympathy, I'll offer some advice when I figure my mother out myself!

ReputationRep:
    humor?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.