Turn on thread page Beta

Why do some dislike emotional attachment...? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ...and instead prefer just having sex with a person?

ReputationRep:
    because they're scared of getting hurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh wow)
    because they're scared of getting hurt.
    yeah or some just want to use someone for a quick ****

ReputationRep:
    Saves about £100/month also.

ReputationRep:
    Typically, it seems to be their scared of getting hurt or 'just cant be bothered' with a relationship.

I dont get it, sex outside a relationship isn't anything I want to do. Its just not the sort of person I am, sex for me is all about the bond and caring between the 2 people doing it, at least, it is as much that as it is the physical act. I just dont see how you could get that outside of a relationship/with someone when your both half passed out from alcohol. That said Im extremely bias towards relationships so you probably shouldnt listen to me!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but WHY are some people "just can't be bothered"?

Maybe some people aren't used to close, loving relationships because they've never had them? So they're scared/ or just don't see the appeal.

ReputationRep:
    everyone is after love surely... so 'just can't be bothered'/ 'don't see the appeal' all comes down to not wanting to get hurt or not having found the right person.

ReputationRep:
    I think emotional attachment is the most important part of a realtionship, having an understanding and a close loving bond, and loving each other and caring each other is much more important than a sexual relationship. In my opinon anyways :/

ReputationRep:
    It always seems to be people who've been hurt - it snaps them out of that pleasant ideal that a lot of people (who haven't been hurt from a relationship) live inside of. It's a cold shock when you leave the pleasant frame of mind where everything is about love and closeness, and because of the intensity of those feelings, you kind of see the world differently, jagged edges and all. You understand that good and bad are doled out (un)fairly. A close bond with someone becomes a gamble rather than a goal.

As far as 'not seeing the appeal' - that's just the opposite. Because they've never had a relationship (or at least a short, meaningless one), they can't see the utter joys that it can bring.

I dunno, that's what I think.

ReputationRep:
    Sex doesn't have to be about love. Some people just like the pleasure and release you get from it and want to have that without spending ages getting to know a person beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    Scared if getting hurt. Don't have the time. Don't want to make the effort. Don't like the other person enough. Enjoy the freedom of being single. Think someone better will come along. Don't want to make any promises about the future that they can't keep. Want to focus on their studies/careers.

I'm sure there are a million other excuses.

Being in a relationship doesn;t necessarily mean being happy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.