Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm hoping to study Business and Management at university and have aspirations of becoming a management consultant or something similar.

I have fallen in Love with Reading University and the shiny New business school however I realise Reading is not currently regarded as a "top" UK business school, despite this they require the same grades as Nottingham, which does have a higher reputation from what I can detain.

However Reading's New course for 2010 involves Two 5 month work placements in the 3rd year as well as a possible Internship with O2 in the summer after the second year.

Nottinghams course does offer a placement but only one as far as I know, Any opinions on which would be better?

Also I was thinking that University reputation matters when you leave university not when you join it? So it might make sense to pick a university you think has the potential to go up the league tables? because this is what I see in Reading, okay so it may never be #1 but with its new facilities and merger with Henley Business school I think it has a bright future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamz0770)
    Hey,

I'm hoping to study Business and Management at university and have aspirations of becoming a management consultant or something similar.

I have fallen in Love with Reading University and the shiny New business school however I realise Reading is not currently regarded as a "top" UK business school, despite this they require the same grades as Nottingham, which does have a higher reputation from what I can detain.

However Reading's New course for 2010 involves Two 5 month work placements in the 3rd year as well as a possible Internship with O2 in the summer after the second year.

Nottinghams course does offer a placement but only one as far as I know, Any opinions on which would be better?

Also I was thinking that University reputation matters when you leave university not when you join it? So it might make sense to pick a university you think has the potential to go up the league tables? because this is what I see in Reading, okay so it may never be #1 but with its new facilities and merger with Henley Business school I think it has a bright future?
    Call me old-fashioned, but I'm not one who's a big believer in reputation being the most important part of getting a job. You should attend a University you will enjoy and one where you will be happy.

I was in Durham for a year, studying a course I hated but decided to go there because of the University's reputation. I ended up hating it and dropped out.

Reading is a good University and although it's not the best Business school you could go to, you need to choose a place you feel you will enjoy as that's the most important part of the whole experience. If you enjoy it, you'll do better at your course too. It's not rocket science.

Work experience is key, especially when you're looking at getting into a job such as Consultancy. There's no doubt that the reputation of the University is important but they tend to look for candidates who are able to analyse and deconstruct complex problems. If you are able to do that you'll be able to get through. Also, if you're interested in Consultancy an MBA will be important and as long as you get that from a top school, your undergraduate should not hold you back.

Having said that, this is my personal opinion. I'm not sure nor do I suggest that you take only my word for it. If you want to go to Reading, do it. If you're good enough to get into Consultancy, your degree should not hold you back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Call me old-fashioned, but I'm not one who's a big believer in reputation being the most important part of getting a job. You should attend a University you will enjoy and one where you will be happy.

I was in Durham for a year, studying a course I hated but decided to go there because of the University's reputation. I ended up hating it and dropped out.

Reading is a good University and although it's not the best Business school you could go to, you need to choose a place you feel you will enjoy as that's the most important part of the whole experience. If you enjoy it, you'll do better at your course too. It's not rocket science.

Work experience is key, especially when you're looking at getting into a job such as Consultancy. There's no doubt that the reputation of the University is important but they tend to look for candidates who are able to analyse and deconstruct complex problems. If you are able to do that you'll be able to get through. Also, if you're interested in Consultancy an MBA will be important and as long as you get that from a top school, your undergraduate should not hold you back.

Having said that, this is my personal opinion. I'm not sure nor do I suggest that you take only my word for it. If you want to go to Reading, do it. If you're good enough to get into Consultancy, your degree should not hold you back.
    Hey, thanks for the reply

Well Yeah I do really like the look of Reading and the course, I think I would enjoy it there. I have a real passion for the subject and to be honest I can't wait until I can spend all my time doing Business and not worry about Physics.

I think I'd have a good chance of getting a good classification as my cousin got a 2:1 and I'm at least as good as him . The only reason I am so keen on the experience is he suggested it and said it really helped him when trying to get a job. Infact I think his first job was with the company that he did his year in industry with, they offered him a place after

I'm quite keen on the Idea of doing a Msc after the undergrad too and would love to do an MBA (As long as I'm not paying for it all) Any chance one of the companies I'd done experience with would want to fund it?

I also thought that the 3 different oppurtunities at different companies may give me abit more insight into exactly what I want to do and will give me a chance to try different positions.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for the reply

Well Yeah I do really like the look of Reading and the course, I think I would enjoy it there. I have a real passion for the subject and to be honest I can't wait until I can spend all my time doing Business and not worry about Physics.

I think I'd have a good chance of getting a good classification as my cousin got a 2:1 and I'm at least as good as him . The only reason I am so keen on the experience is he suggested it and said it really helped him when trying to get a job. Infact I think his first job was with the company that he did his year in industry with, they offered him a place after

I'm quite keen on the Idea of doing a Msc after the undergrad too and would love to do an MBA (As long as I'm not paying for it all) Any chance one of the companies I'd done experience with would want to fund it?

I also thought that the 3 different oppurtunities at different companies may give me abit more insight into exactly what I want to do and will give me a chance to try different positions.

Thanks
    The year in industry is a really good idea and I wish I could done it too. But I'm in a hurry to graduate . My friend just got offered a job at Thales and he's just finished his placement. Not bad for a 22 year old :p:.

I definitely suggest you go for it if you're interested.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not aware of which one has the best reputation, but I would go with whichever one you feel you will be most comfortable in, and will enjoy more. Sounds to me like that would be Reading . I personally would go for reading, it's a good university and the work experience will be very good when you go to get a job. Employers will like to know that the person they are employing will have the skills and knowhow needed to do the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc246)
    I'm not aware of which one has the best reputation, but I would go with whichever one you feel you will be most comfortable in, and will enjoy more. Sounds to me like that would be Reading . I personally would go for reading, it's a good university and the work experience will be very good when you go to get a job. Employers will like to know that the person they are employing will have the skills and knowhow needed to do the job.
    Exactly. Employers are becoming more and more interested in candidates that have work experience, especially in skills similar to the job you are applying to them for.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, both count, yet neither will cripple you absolutely in terms of employment. At the moment however, having weaknesses on either front will often let you down in terms of securing an interview.

What other universities have you considered? What grades are you aiming for?

Personally I'm very glad I've done an industrial placement. Next year i'll be turning 23 with a BSc, MSc and also a year's work experience + work internships from holidays. I'm still not confident about securing a job in a 2nd tier management consultancy (e.g accenture/mouchel) - it's that tough atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Basically, both count, yet neither will cripple you absolutely in terms of employment. At the moment however, having weaknesses on either front will often let you down in terms of securing an interview.

What other universities have you considered? What grades are you aiming for?
    So far on my UCAS I have;

Reading
    Nottingham
    Aston
    Loughborough

I'm hoping to get ABB however may get AAB or even BBB depending on how stuff goes.

ReputationRep:
    Trying to exclude bias here I'd have to recommend Loughborough or Aston. Both have integrated *compulsory* placement years (and excellent thus career department for securing placements) and are generally excellent business schools. Reading and Nottingham are also good, although I must admit Reading is rarely name dropped in terms of business.

When giving examples, my friend has just graduated from Aston with a 2:1 (with a placement at IBM) and managed to get a job at Mouchel. Where as a friend from 6th form (just graduated from Loughborough) secured a ridiculously good placement in a headhunting role earning close to £30k. Both universities are still highly sought after in terms of consultancy and are constantly targeted by those employers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Trying to exclude bias here I'd have to recommend Loughborough or Aston. Both have integrated *compulsory* placement years (and excellent thus career department for securing placements) and are generally excellent business schools. Reading and Nottingham are also good, although I must admit Reading is rarely name dropped in terms of business.

When giving examples, my friend has just graduated from Aston with a 2:1 (with a placement at IBM) and managed to get a job at Mouchel. Where as a friend from 6th form (just graduated from Loughborough) secured a ridiculously good placement in a headhunting role earning close to £30k. Both universities are still highly sought after in terms of consultancy and are constantly targeted by those employers.
    Yeah thanks, sounds pretty good. Being honest I've only seen Reading so far which is probably why I'm more keen on that, visiting others in september so maybe things will change. I've noticed that Reading is never mentioned at all, let alone the business department. Surprises me as it looked really good.

How leniant are Aston/Loughborough with the grades? If I get BBB do I have any chance? I have a decent PS and strong extra curricular stuff. Also is Aston/Loughborough modern? (The business schools) I know it shouldnt matter but I like flashy modern business stuff.

ReputationRep:
    How leniant are Aston/Loughborough with the grades?
    You won't get into Aston without making your offer I'm afraid.

Also is Aston/Loughborough modern? (The business schools) I know it shouldnt matter but I like flashy modern business stuff
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean - in terms of looks? Aston has a very modern business building however as an undergrad you'll be predominantly in the main building. I don't think how 'modern' something looks would be top on most lists of criteria for excellent education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    You won't get into Aston without making your offer I'm afraid.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean - in terms of looks? Aston has a very modern business building however as an undergrad you'll be predominantly in the main building. I don't think how 'modern' something looks would be top on most lists of criteria for excellent education
    Am I right in thinking the offer for Aston will be ABB?

Haha, Well old buildings are okay I just mean modern facilities

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in thinking the offer for Aston will be ABB?

Haha, Well old buildings are okay I just mean modern facilities
    All the top unis will have modern facilities. Aston will be AAB or ABB depending on your predicted grades - i.e if they think you're capable of AAB then that will be your offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    All the top unis will have modern facilities. Aston will be AAB or ABB depending on your predicted grades - i.e if they think you're capable of AAB then that will be your offer
    Probably ABB, or I hope they predict me that. So a lower prediction may be a blessing in disguise?

ReputationRep:
    Probably ABB, or I hope they predict me that. So a lower prediction may be a blessing in disguise?
    Yep.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.