Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My mom said she had to wait around 12 months until she was able to go for a first appointment. Is this true? I've recently become very worried about my social habits and I don't think I could wait that long... Surely 12 months is terrible for people in much worse situations than myself?

But can anyone clarify this? Or perhaps someone else has seen a psychiatrist/psychologist? I'm looking for a diagnosis first and then perhaps some arranged appointments depending on the results of this diagnosis.

Help of any kind would be appreciated so much.

ReputationRep:
    How are you organising this? Is it through the NHS? If it is, you could ask your GP what the waiting time is for a referal. Why not go private if you can afford it.

I'm going to see my doctor sometime next week. I think he's just going to refer me to someone? I'm not sure, I haven't done anything like this before.

ReputationRep:
    12 months thats crazy but they may have to prioritize patients.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think it is quite as bad as 12 months, obviously the mental health service is over stretched but i think 12 months is a long time and i would have thought over stretching the guidelines as to when you should get an appointment.

Go to the doctor and ask them when you have seen if you are refered, they will be able to tell you an idea of a waiting time in your area.

I was reffered to a clinical psychologist for CBT sessions due to OCD and had to wait for 12 months.Mind you,i opted to see a trainee clinical psychologist as the other option was to wait for a further 6 months i.e 18 months in total to see a 'proper'psychologist.It might even take more than 12 months because of the window period of seeing ur gp and having you put on the waiting list (that gap in correspondenceetc.I am not aware if they prioritize but this is just my experience.I eventually saw her and had 12 sessions of CBT.
    As for a psychiatrist,i took me about 3 months to see one after been reffered by the gp.Then the shrink thought that it would be a good idea to combine CBT/psychologist with the medication that he was prescribing since themedication wasn't doing much.
    The best thing to do would be to go to your Gp as soon as possible and get the ball rolling since it can take quite a while to see this mental health proffesionals.
    The door is open if you have any more questions, aight ,all the best and take care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My mom said she had to wait around 12 months until she was able to go for a first appointment. Is this true? I've recently become very worried about my social habits and I don't think I could wait that long... Surely 12 months is terrible for people in much worse situations than myself?

But can anyone clarify this? Or perhaps someone else has seen a psychiatrist/psychologist? I'm looking for a diagnosis first and then perhaps some arranged appointments depending on the results of this diagnosis.

Help of any kind would be appreciated so much.
    The waiting list aint always that long but it can depend on how much a gp feels you need to see someone

Usually you will go and see your gp and explain the problem then if he/she thinks you need to see someone he will refer you to the appropriate person thatll be usually a psychologist or counsellor

ReputationRep:
    I reckon now tell me if im right.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.