Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anon or delete please.

For as long as I could remember, my mother has been a compulsive liar. Growing up I'd hear her on the phone to relatives abroad talking about her 'new car' or 'amazing new job' and it used to really confuse me. Everything with her is either true but really exaggerated or just a lie.

Her lying isn't just about small things,it's about huge things too. All my life I was told that my dad walked out on our family when I was a baby(they were never married) and I eventually found out that my dad didn't even know I existed as she told him she'd had an abortion

She also claimed benefits whilst working and she was arrested for it and the trial's still going on.You'd think she'd learn from that but if anything her lying's worsened.Yes,she is my mum but part of me kind of wants her to go to prison as it doesn't seem like she ever learns

I don't believe anything she says anymore and I really want to try and trust her.To make the matter worse,my eight year old sister is picking up her habits and the last thing I want is for her to go down the same road.With my sister, if she's broken something, for example, and it was obvioulsy her,I'll ask if she did it and she'll lie. She comes home from school saying so and so's hit me then I'll ask the teacher only to be told it was the other way round.

Is there some sort of counselling you can get for compulsive lying?Any advice on what I could do is highly appreciated

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Maybe prison would be the best sort of help she could get. That or after 2 hours you'd get a phonecall about her 'amazing new flat with window view and good plumbing' and face-palm would ensue

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried talking to your mom about her lying?
    And I would definately suggest seeing some sort of counselling; talk to your family doctor/nurse.
    The NHS does provide cognitive behaviour therapy which could get to the root and help solve your moms problem.
    However your GP may provide information such as self help materials first.

ReputationRep:
    Are you religious?

ReputationRep:
    this is some situation, especially when your little sister is apparently picking up her habits. go see a counselor for you and your sister. if your mum goes to prison i suppose its for the best, and she might even realize what shes done. i wouldn't worry about people finding out, hell, you probably won't even know shes gone to jail. she'll probably have a new villa up in the Caribbean.

No, we're not a religious family.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? And have you ever tried confronting her?

If I were you, I would talm to a psychiatrist to see what kind of help is available for her. Because she's your mum, you must know her symptoms extremely well and so you'd be able to dexcribe them faithfully. Maybe it is a fairly common mental health condition and there are therapies and/or medicines that can help as long as the patient is willing to improve. Then you'd have to talk to her, and she'd have to want to do it. There's only so much you can do unfortunately, so if she doesn't admit that she has a problem....

ReputationRep:
    perhaps you could try speaking to your sisters school about it because they would be able to work out with you how much she has picked up, and might be able to point you in the direction of some good, professional help?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well it's a deep problem, especially if it has been ongoing for years now. The longer compulsive lying goes on, the harder it is to get rid of it - people who lie compulsively create some kind of 'comfort zone' with their lies, and to be fair they're afraid to leave it and face the real world with its real problems.

That aside, there is some help available. Not sure if counselling would be enough, to be fair if it's been going on for over a dozen years, I'd suppose it's more of a mental illness now, than a neurosis or an 'annoying habit' of any kind. Might involve taking some medicines (not necessarily prescription ones, though) - but bottom end your mum must agree to the therapy herself and must be willing to undergo one. She has not been incapacitated legally and I don't think there are any reasons for anyone doing that (so far), as it's not life-threatening, at least as long as the matter of direct danger to life is concerned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccy.)
    perhaps you could try speaking to your sisters school about it because they would be able to work out with you how much she has picked up, and might be able to point you in the direction of some good, professional help?
    I think this is a good idea here, OP. :yy:

I am eighteen btw. I am really concerned as I don't think my mum even recognises that she has a problem..Lying has become second nature to her.

ReputationRep:
    Can you talk to your mum about this?

I've tried talking to her but she just lies about her lying...E.g. if I overhear her telling a friend about how we're 'renovating the house' I'll ask her why she said that and she'll say 'Oh you must have heard me wrong...I was talking about someone else.' When I flat out heard exactly what she said. Sometimes I don't think she can differentiate between what is true and what is not anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I would just leave this to Jeremy Kyle.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.