Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied/sent my deposit in May.

ReputationRep:
    I have only just been able to confirm my offer for an MA from St Chad's and so obviously missed the deadline for guaranteed accommodation - does anyone know what sort of chance I'll of getting accommodation within the university? The main reason I applied to Durham was being able to live within a college so I'd be really disappointed if I can't. If I don't get accommodation, does anyone know about how I could get private accommodation? I've emailed Chad's about this but haven't heard back yet, so will probably try phoning on Monday as I'm so worried about it! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura2004)
    I have only just been able to confirm my offer for an MA from St Chad's and so obviously missed the deadline for guaranteed accommodation - does anyone know what sort of chance I'll of getting accommodation within the university? The main reason I applied to Durham was being able to live within a college so I'd be really disappointed if I can't. If I don't get accommodation, does anyone know about how I could get private accommodation? I've emailed Chad's about this but haven't heard back yet, so will probably try phoning on Monday as I'm so worried about it! Thanks!
    Hey you have a similar problem albeit I applied before the deadline but could apply any earlier as hadnt had the interview when other people had applied.

The person that sorts out postgrad addmissions is on Holiday till the monday after next saying that Im 11 on the list (after a protracted coversation with the college tutor) In all honesty Im 11 on the list and they told me to look for other college accomodation so I wouldnt hold much hope.

I have phoned all the colleges with no success and they say they will not know until late august if there are any spaces.

The student pad page via the durham student union will give private accommodation detials.

All the best

ReputationRep:
    I was offered my place by the department on 27th May, got my official offer from the Admissions Office on 5th June(Fri) and got a generic 'welcome to Castle' email from the college on the 8th(Mon) with info on accom, funding etc. I replied a couple of days later(12th) thanking then for the offer and expressing an interest in accommodation because i knew it would be in such short supply because Castle only has a few postgrad rooms.

A couple of days after that(17th) i received a reply from the college saying that the system still wasn't showing that i had accepted my offer (despite replying to admission on the day they emailed me my offer). After a number of calls to the admissions office asking them to update the system, it was eventually sorted and i had an email from the college on 1st July from the college secretary apologising for the delay (due to computer upgrades, busy end of term etc) stating that i had to follow the link in the email and send the deposit to secure a room. She said not to panic that it was already the 1st(the deadline) because she had put my name on the list and she would be on holiday for 2 weeks and during that time nothing would change regarding the postgrad accommodation.

Of noted interest: when i received the email from college on the 17th June stating that they couldn't send me the info because of the system not being updated, i called the college and spoke the the secretary because i was concerned i might miss out on accom, she told me that at that time they had about 26 postgrad rooms and only 12 or 13 people had sent their deposit, so about half of the rooms were still available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)

Of noted interest: when i received the email from college on the 17th June stating that they couldn't send me the info because of the system not being updated, i called the college and spoke the the secretary because i was concerned i might miss out on accom, she told me that at that time they had about 26 postgrad rooms and only 12 or 13 people had sent their deposit, so about half of the rooms were still available.
    Humm I have tried everything apart from Castle as it is always booked. Ustinov is full although I recieved a strange email from them on Friday (as usual they like to contact me before they shut up shop for the weekend). I called all the colleges with no such luck even though promised accomodation. One of the lucky ones! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    Out of interest, where are the postgrad rooms in Castle?

ReputationRep:
    lol, the Admissions Office are good at sending Friday afternoon emails. I've had a couple from the college as well but not about anything too urgent. Do bear in mind that it was over a month ago when i was told that they still had half of their rooms available, but then again the secretary who arranges all of the accommodation has been away for two weeks during the last month. Your chances are probably pretty slim for getting into Castle now, reading elsewhere on the forum it looks like they've been telling people they are full for the last two or three weeks.

It could be that they had my name down provisionally since i was offered college membership because i expressed an interest in accom and they just held back from sending the link until they had the confirmation from the admissions computer system that i had accepted my offer.

To be honest i was surprised i even got in to Castle because i thought i'd applied quite late in the day and i knew how popular the college was. On the other hand i graduated last year so i already had my degree results so i had an unconditional offer from the outset, before many who applied ages ago had received their results. Not sure how much this affects how easy it is to get accom or if it is even a factor.

ReputationRep:
    Postgrad Castle rooms are at Brakenbury, Ustinov have most of the flats there but i think Castle have about four. Brackenbury is about 2km from the college next the the hospital, so not in the city centre for those who want to live centrally. I have a car so it suits me fine because it the rooms come with parking (i believe that I need to apply for a pass for the car window but i think this is just a formality so they know who owns which car in the car park). I had a look on google earth and the car park looks big enough to supply the demand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    lol, the Admissions Office are good at sending Friday afternoon emails.

To be honest i was surprised i even got in to Castle because i thought i'd applied quite late in the day and i knew how popular the college was. On the other hand i graduated last year so i already had my degree results so i had an unconditional offer from the outset, before many who applied ages ago had received their results. Not sure how much this affects how easy it is to get accom or if it is even a factor.
    I guess you apllied at the right time! What some of us are moaning about is that we paid before the 1st July deadline and have been told to wait.

I have chatted with a few senior tutors for the colleges and they say we have a place somewhere.... But we will see just got to wait around I guess.

The Ustinov email was strange as they asked me if I had paid again before the deadline even though I had spoke to them about a week before.

ReputationRep:
    So they were checking to make sure you'd paid before the deadline?

I have heard that it's not terribly uncommon for members of one college to be housed in another towards the end of the allocation. As the details they've sent you state; if you pay the deposit before the deadline they guarantee you accom. You could find that they house a bunch of post grads together in what is normally undergrad accom. I saw that happen in my old uni, it happened to me in my 3rd year, i ended up with a flat of other 3rd years in what is normally undergrad accom. We did hit lucky because of it though because they allocated us before the freshers so we got the best rooms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    So they were checking to make sure you'd paid before the deadline?

I have heard that it's not terribly uncommon for members of one college to be housed in another towards the end of the allocation. As the details they've sent you state; if you pay the deposit before the deadline they guarantee you accom. You could find that they house a bunch of post grads together in what is normally undergrad accom. I saw that happen in my old uni, it happened to me in my 3rd year, i ended up with a flat of other 3rd years in what is normally undergrad accom. We did hit lucky because of it though because they allocated us before the freshers so we got the best rooms.
    Yes but having made that clear in a number of emails and phone calls it is beginning to get annoying. The wording however was that we could possibly help. Intresting St Aidans had said they had allocated accomodation to all postgraduates regardless of undergrad intake as long as they paid before the deadline even though I understand they did not have to do that. I guess St Chad's is pretty small so did not have that luxury

It just seems theres a general confusion over everything.

My guess is what you say will happen but its not like I mind really as long as I have somewhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.