Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I am 190cm (6 4) and ~87kg, when I use the electronic bodyfat calculator at the gym it says anything between 11-13%

I do gym 5-6 days a week, 30-50 mins cardio each time, been doing this for just over 3 weeks as a summer fitness fix.

After this cardio I do 1.5h of mixed weights machines, curls dips and situps/crunches, followed by a steam and some slow lengths of the pool.

I have lost 6 lbs so far and put on a considerable amount of muscle, although it's not blatantly obvious because I am so tall. I've gone from lifting 9kgs as my low rep bicep curl weight to 12kg. Sounds like very little when I write it out...

My diet is pretty much 0 carbs, just protein, in the form of skinned chicken, filet steak, and leafy salads, and protein shakes (1 at breakfast, 1 before workout, 2-3 in the hours after a workout)

A typical gym day would be waking up, either 4 eggs scrambled or 2 chicken breasts, shake, creatine, thermobol, gym, come home and just have a few shakes and some cottage cheese+sardines before bed.

My problem is that after a good first 3 weeks seeing significant loss of fat in the midriff thighs and buttocks it has completely tailed off and now I have seen no results regardless of work put in.

Since I eat so few calories I don't understand why more fat isn't being burnt off, I still have what I consider to be significant fat around my stomach and pecs/minimoobs.

What should I be doing at this stage to burn off as much fat from the midriff and upper chest while gaining muscle in my lats/delts/bis and tris and pecs? It feels like what I have been doing will have to change if I want to burn off what is left because there have been no tangible results for a while.

Basically my question is how can I augment / change what I'm doing in the gym to get my goals? I've tried to provide as much important information as possible so I can get some helpful responses from ppl who know more.

Please no take the piss answers I have enough probs with morale as it is.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Noone?

ReputationRep:
    I am sure that you will recieve more thorough answers than mine, but instead of your 30-50 minutes of cardio, have you considered HIIT? Also, do you drink?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like someone's not eating enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gone Revising)
    I am sure that you will recieve more thorough answers than mine, but instead of your 30-50 minutes of cardio, have you considered HIIT? Also, do you drink?
    Not drinking at all, am a smoker though but that would surely be helping me keep weight off! :P

(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Sounds like someone's not eating enough.
    More info?

ReputationRep:
    ur fat end of

ReputationRep:
    either 4 eggs scrambled or 2 chicken breasts, shake, creatine, thermobol, gym, come home and just have a few shakes and some cottage cheese+sardines before bed.
    Doesn't sound like enough food for someone who's gym-ing so much.

ReputationRep:
    First off, you sound like a woman. Really. You sound like a big 6-4 pussy.

(you need thick skin around here, don't take it personally)

If I'm reading this right, you've only been "gymming" for 3 weeks? That's not long enough for anything.

Electronic body-fat calculators are big piles of ****. Don't bother. How can you want to lose weight if your 6'4" and weigh 87kg. You might not be rippling with cut muscle but you're not fat.

Don't use machines, learn to use freeweightsl; barbells preferably. Curls do almost nothing except increase a relatively small and insignificant muscle. Biceps do almost nothing useful. Barely. Do some big compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, benchpress and overhead press. They're so ridiculously better than any machine, it makes me die a little inside when I see half of the space in "gyms" taken up with machines.

Don't think using these will make you some big bodybuilder, they won't (thank god). So long as you're working and eating on a calorie deficit (which should include carbs), you will burn fat whilst maintaining the muscles you've got. Someone else will chime in with appropriate Carb:Protein:Fat ratios; I cba.

How many calories are you having now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    First off, you sound like a woman. Really. You sound like a big 6-4 pussy.

(you need thick skin around here, don't take it personally)

If I'm reading this right, you've only been "gymming" for 3 weeks? That's not long enough for anything.

Electronic body-fat calculators are big piles of ****. Don't bother. How can you want to lose weight if your 6'4" and weigh 87kg. You might not be rippling with cut muscle but you're not fat.

Don't use machines, learn to use freeweightsl; barbells preferably. Curls do almost nothing except increase a relatively small and insignificant muscle. Biceps do almost nothing useful. Barely. Do some big compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, benchpress and overhead press. They're so ridiculously better than any machine, it makes me die a little inside when I see half of the space in "gyms" taken up with machines.

Don't think using these will make you some big bodybuilder, they won't (thank god). So long as you're working and eating on a calorie deficit (which should include carbs), you will burn fat whilst maintaining the muscles you've got. Someone else will chime in with appropriate Carb:Protein:Fat ratios; I cba.

How many calories are you having now?
    my goal is lean muscle, not big big muscles (i don't have the right body type to be big big but do not have the normal 'skinny' tall guy physique, i.e. i have quite broad shoulders and put on weight quite easily, i'm just big rather than lanky)

the curls are a vanity thing, this is probably the area in which i've seen the best tangible (read: visible) reward.

yes it has been 3 weeks, but 3 weeks of intense work and strict diet, i realise it's not a massive amount of time and rather than complaining i'm just asking for advice on how to advance it

to explain why i want to lose weight in my current situation, my stomach and upper chest are not 'tight' enough, ie there is a minor amount of jiggle when doing jiggly things. once i have cut my bodyfat down to a really low level i will just do CV for maintenance and work on gaining lean muscle.

i'm not much of a calorie counter but the only foods i eat are skinned chicken and filet steak, or scrambled eggs, with big salads. I have either skimmed cows or semi skimmed goats in my shakes. I am definitely well below 2500 a day though, for example today (rest day) it has been: 1 big bowl bran flakes with semi skimmed goats, 3 tuna+sweetcorn+raw onion wholemeal pittas, 1 every 3 hours or so. and a shake. will probably have some cottage cheese + oatcakes and another shake before bed.

i'm happy enough with the muscle that is going on + fat coming off except in the areas of stomach and pecs which seem to have a layer of fat i just cant shake, that's why i'm asking for tips to cut in these areas. my upper abs even are ok, seeing decent lines of definition there

thanks for your response

ReputationRep:
    Well, good luck Brüno.

But first...

ReputationRep:
    lol, okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Well, good luck Brüno.

But first...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It cant be true! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Stop doing "jiggly things."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Stop doing "jiggly things."
    walking down the stairs, running etc without a top on...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.