Turn on thread page Beta

Driving in France/Italy/Germany. watch

ReputationRep:
    Alright kiddys.

Who's driven in the three above countries?

I'm going to N ring on August 15, then drive down via Italy and the mountain passes to Monaco, then back home.

What kinda things do I need to take like visible Triangle and coat?

So far I'm taking my Socket set, screwdrivers, spare wheel, oil, coolant, puncture repair kits and masking tipe (For water hoses)...........AA membership card......anything else.

And probably not that interesting to you, but I'm a blogging, I've been working my arse off at the minute with overtime to get lots of money to spend on my car. (That's why I aint been on much). Still modding, jsut taking my time.

I'm planning on polybushing the entire car, sticking on an even bigger turbo, remap, Getting my kevlar paddle clutch and diff in, sorting different coil over springs out, change the belts, service, brake bleed with 5.1 and that's about it.

Aim's to run a at least under ten minute lap!

ReputationRep:
    You'll need a first aid kit, full set of spare bulbs for the car and a high vis vest in reach of the driver if you want to drive through France.
    You *may* possibly need a fire extinguisher too? Can't hurt to chuck one in, anyway, eh?

ReputationRep:
    Good calll on bulbs and First aid.

Fire extinguisher? **** the car's gonna get heavier.

I'm thinking cause it's a diesel I could be ok there.

ReputationRep:
    naw it'll be fine... just get one of those little 11lb size bottles.

ReputationRep:
    headlamp adjusters, gb sticker

Dont forget relevant paperwork (for france, and I assume the others)

V5 certificate, MOT, drivers licesnse, certificate of insurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cRaig)
    headlamp adjusters, gb sticker

Dont forget relevant paperwork (for france, and I assume the others)

V5 certificate, MOT, drivers licesnse, certificate of insurance

Seriously?

Shizzle.

What's a headlight adjuster too?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, dont want to be stopped without the right paperwork in france..

Headlamp beam adjuster stickers - linky

Stops RHD headlights dazzling people driving on the right at night. Usually cheaper to buy in advance rather than at the ferry terminal due to rip off prices!

ReputationRep:
    European Health Insurance Card (E111 from your post office)

Also, you'll be going through France, so always always always have some loose change and any form of ID on you.

ReputationRep:
    Warning triangle, all as said before esp. headlamp adjusters.

Also this probably sounds a bit silly but make sure your spare tyre is fit for usage should you need it. European Breakdown Cover is a good idea too. Battery pack / jump leads are always handy to have

Ditto on make sure you have all docs for France - also they have lately got VERY arsey about speeding so just watch out for the French cops

Most of all have lots of fun

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a Fire extinguisher, just remember in france in the wet the speed limit drops 20km/h and if you can't pay the on the spot fines if you get pulled over for speeding, having bulbs out etc. Then they'll take you to the cells.

ReputationRep:
    Don't waste time with those eurolite stickers, simply use black electric tape, just cheaper and moves off easy and does the same job.

Plus Eurolites either fall off or stick well and ruin your headlight lenses, hence why people recommend rather pricey headlight protectors with the eurolite markings and places to tape up marked.

If you have a BMW look under the bonnet and there is a simple switch to set the lights for LHD and RHD without the need for euro lights, some Mercedes and VWs too, I know for certain E39 5 Series do.

ReputationRep:
    I've driven in France, Spain and Germany but not Italy.

ReputationRep:
    I've just come back from a trip to all these countries and others! Just make sure you always have some money on you or a credit/debit card you don't mind using for tolls! Italy were loving the tolls, cheap but plentiful. France had a few that costed me about 50 euros in total on the way down. In case you decide to go to Austria or Switzerland (on motorways), make sure you purchase their relevant motorway passes.

As for breakdown cover, check out Tesco (underwritten by Green Flag).

Happy driving, watch out for those French speed cameras *grumbles*

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 16, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.