Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, ive just got a few things ive been thinking about and i dont know what to do about em, so i thought i would ask about them on here.
    Anyways here's what im wondering about.

How is entertainment during the day, i know that every hall has a 'games room' which i seen on the lboro site (can you explain more about it please), but i am also wondering about entertainment in the rooms and such, i noticed that the rooms dont have TV's (just going from pics) and i am thinking if it is worth to bring maybe a game console or a portable TV for those boring days in, if i ever have them of course.

Also i mainly use a desktop PC while i know most people take laptops to uni, just wondering again if it is worth bringing the whole thing along or just use my pathetic laptop that ive got lying around lol.
    Which also reminds me, what is the internet like in the halls? Is it fast or reasonable, not expecting great things with it being hall internet but as long as it's not infuriatingly slow then its all good

Recently i applied for accomodation, (late i know but it completely slipped my mind like the tit i am) and it only gave me the option of a twin room from my gender and course, so i tried the preference option to see if they have anything else, is there a good chance that i will get a room i prefer out of the options i gave or not, anyone got personal experience of using that option?

And finally im wondering about how leanient the uni is in letting in students that may not reach the grades needed for the course, the course I want to so is Chemistry with forensic analysis, the points needed are 260 which is a BCC, however i royally ********* up last year and i dont know if i will be able to get back he grades i lost. So im probably likely to go through clearing, what would you say the grades or points will reduce by at clearing, and if this will affect placements for accomodation.

I know this is a bit of a long thread but any help is appreciated.
    Thnaks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johans90)
    How is entertainment during the day, i know that every hall has a 'games room' which i seen on the lboro site (can you explain more about it please), but i am also wondering about entertainment in the rooms and such, i noticed that the rooms dont have TV's (just going from pics) and i am thinking if it is worth to bring maybe a game console or a portable TV for those boring days in, if i ever have them of course.
    You can get live TV (freewire channels) through the hall internet. This still requires a TV license though. One option if you don't want to lug a telly up with you

Which also reminds me, what is the internet like in the halls? Is it fast or reasonable, not expecting great things with it being hall internet but as long as it's not infuriatingly slow then its all good
    Usually get 10Mbit download and upload (around 1.1 Mb/sec). Its designed to be a hall internet and cope with a large number of users so speeds are generally good unless everyone's abusing it. Its also pretty stable, most of the times!

And finally im wondering about how leanient the uni is in letting in students that may not reach the grades needed for the course, the course I want to so is Chemistry with forensic analysis, the points needed are 260 which is a BCC, however i royally ********* up last year and i dont know if i will be able to get back he grades i lost. So im probably likely to go through clearing, what would you say the grades or points will reduce by at clearing, and if this will affect placements for accomodation.
    Its hard to say - it all depends on the intake for this year. If your course isn't oversubscribed then they may be more lenient. As for accommodation, if you go through clearing then you'll get whatever rooms are left over after first and insurance choices have been allocated. If there are no rooms left, Accommodation Services will "attempt" to find you a house

ReputationRep:
    Hey, ive just got a few things ive been thinking about and i dont know what to do about em, so i thought i would ask about them on here.
    Anyways here's what im wondering about.

Also i mainly use a desktop PC while i know most people take laptops to uni, just wondering again if it is worth bringing the whole thing along or just use my pathetic laptop that ive got lying around lol.

Recently i applied for accomodation, (late i know but it completely slipped my mind like the tit i am) and it only gave me the option of a twin room from my gender and course, so i tried the preference option to see if they have anything else, is there a good chance that i will get a room i prefer out of the options i gave or not, anyone got personal experience of using that option?

I know this is a bit of a long thread but any help is appreciated.
    Thnaks
    1) Depends what hall. Royce/Faraday/Telford/Rutherford have a games room right in the middle of campus with a tv room then right next dor a room with table tennis and pool. Elvyn had a tv room with loads of chairs and like a 60 inch tv. Not sure about any others though. Think Rigg Rutt have a tv in the games room.
    2) I have a desktop, but then again I have a 37 inch tv that I took to uni. MY advice, get a laptop. You can watch frewire (slightly cut down version of freeview) through the ethernet at lboro. Internet is great 10Mb (1.25MB) per second. So an MP3 in about 3 seconds. Nobody ever complained about overuse
    3)I used the preference option last year when I applied and I got my first choice. My first choice was the most expensive on campus though and everyone else it seemed to be their second choice. So cant say for sure.
    4) results. I needed ABB and got ACC and got in immediately without calling up.

ReputationRep:
    Butler court has a huge common with flatscreen surround sound and the works. Table tennis, foosball, snooker, ps3, wii. Pretty impressive, usually all watch footy games, x-factor, britains got talent and al the important shows in there. We pooled together as a flat and got a xbox and pro evo and played that quite a bit. Otherwise just cill out during the day. Internet is pretty fast and through the year managed to watch (streaming) almost all the episodes of scrubs, south park, how i met your mother, big bng theory and loads of movies as well as weekly doses of my other regular shows.

ReputationRep:
    what about telford? Does that have good entertainment?

ReputationRep:
    Are you in telford?

If you dont know yet. Assume you arent.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick reply about computers! A half decent laptop is a must in my opinion! Can be very handy in lectures and also i personally hate having to use the library computers, i much prefer to just find a desk and whip out my laptop. The whole library has a good wireless connection so that isnt a problem! Also when you have group projects etc, it means you can meet ppl anywhere on camous and still have your work with you!

ReputationRep:
    it did, until the flat screen got stollen last year. Wot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick_g46)
    Just a quick reply about computers! A half decent laptop is a must in my opinion! Can be very handy in lectures and also i personally hate having to use the library computers, i much prefer to just find a desk and whip out my laptop. The whole library has a good wireless connection so that isnt a problem! Also when you have group projects etc, it means you can meet ppl anywhere on camous and still have your work with you!
    Its all personal opinion though - I have had a desktop (cos I wanted something a bit better for the money I was spending at the time) and it has worked absolutley brilliant for me, I have found no need whatsoever for a laptop at uni - noone ever uses them in business school lectures etc, but can see why some people might want them, but yeh is personal opinion whether you need a laptop or not!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.