Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recommend me arm exercises at the gym. Watch

At the gym I always use step machines, treadmills, cycling machines, cardio stuff etc etc but I've never been able to use weights before I was 16. Now that I am I have no idea how to use them and since there are always buff guys pumping their guns there I'm too intimidated to figure it out myself lol.

Any ideas? The machines look like torture instruments and I don't even know how to sit on them! :o: They're pretty standard machines. I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me how to use them.

E.g: http://www.technogym.com/gb/viewdoc....get=commercial

http://www.technogym.com/gb/viewdoc....get=commercial

I asked a guy at the gym but he looked at me like I was a n00b and there doesn't seem to be any instructions on the actual machines ... (There are many different types, not just the ones illustrated above).

ReputationRep:
    The guy at the gym surely has to help you! What else is he employed for?!

I think you need to evaluate how good your gym is if they won't give you an induction for machines you've never used before.
    The first machine you linked to is a chest press machine, you set the weight, put your hands on the bars in front of you and press forward, the range of motion ensures that you'll be pressing ahead and to the centre, basically you cannot move it wrong so just push and see where it goes!

The second, I've never used so won't comment. The only other adjustment is the seat which moves up and down, you need to adjust that first so that the handle bars are roughly at your chest level.

ReputationRep:
    The 2nd is for triceps, you sit down, and grasp the two things which are situated above shoulder height. You then extend your arms downwards, so they're straight and below your waist.

If you asked a random guy, then maybe he was just a ****. Ask an instructor, their JOB is to help people like you! If he/she doesnt help, complain!

Thanks!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.