Turn on thread page Beta

Do anti-depressants actually help? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have heard of countless people being put on depression medication but I have never actually heard anyone being "cured" with the drugs.

Anyone with any stories / experience?

ReputationRep:
    No, the drugs don't work, they just make you worse.

ReputationRep:
    God I hope so...

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I've been on three different types for chronic pain.

However, the side effects are horrible.

I wouldn't take the decision to go on them lightly, personally.

ReputationRep:
    It's just sugar

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether to take them or not.
    My mom doesn't want me to at all.
    I've been like this for years, I guess I just sort of learned to tolerate it.

my mum is on anti-depressants and they have helped her because she has got better recently, however they are not a cure for depression but just something to help the person. its recommendable to get like therapy or counselling(sp) to get to the reason for the depression and to deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    you wouldn't know if they were placebo or not. it's all in the head.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but youll need more than 300mg.

ReputationRep:
    They don't cure you, you have to cure yourself with the help of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebutterflyeffect)
    you wouldn't know if they were placebo or not. it's all in the head.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    You haven't heard of anyone being "cured" by anti-depressents because simply put, that isn't what they are used for.

There is no cure for depression. Only different methods of helping you cope with it.

Anti-depressants CAN help a lot, but it depends on the severity of the depression in the first place. For most mild depression talking therapies are usually the fist point of call, and some people may even be able to lift themselves out of the depression without any intervention.

However for those of us with more serious/long term depression then anti depressants can be a godsend. Without them i would probably be dead. I dont see them as a cure, i see them as something that helps.

Think of it this way. If you were in physical pain (headache,backache etc) you'd think nothing of taking some painkillers in order to east the pain so you can go about your daily business. Anti-deppresents work in much the same way. It masks the pain so you can get on with life easier.

All the people saying they don't work and they are all placebos? Seriously? Do you actually believe a doctor would give out placebos? I've heard that argument before....but from someone who suffered really bad paranoia. Its just not logical. They can really help people. as long as said people aren't foolish enough to think they are a cure and actually go someway to helping themselves

ReputationRep:
    The drugs are known to mask the symptoms not the cause in some cases.

In time they can gradually allow recovery in patients. I would say some therapies (non drug based) are more the accpeted paradigm for treatments now, or at least starting to become.

They do. I was on anti-depressants for just under a year and they completely alleviated my depression

I'm going to come off Citalopram altogether, pretty soon. I noticed how effective they were in regard to my mood, much more in the winter months than now, in the lighter summer months, and I just don't feel I need to keep taking it. I'll be looking into 5 htp a little more once I do stop taking Citalopram and I'll be keeping up a good, healthy diet and plenty of exercise. I just feel a bit of a social zombie sometimes and for me, this medication has a bit of a numbing effect - certainly not in the same manner as something like propranolol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    You haven't heard of anyone being "cured" by anti-depressents because simply put, that isn't what they are used for.

There is no cure for depression. Only different methods of helping you cope with it.

Anti-depressants CAN help a lot, but it depends on the severity of the depression in the first place. For most mild depression talking therapies are usually the fist point of call, and some people may even be able to lift themselves out of the depression without any intervention.

However for those of us with more serious/long term depression then anti depressants can be a godsend. Without them i would probably be dead. I dont see them as a cure, i see them as something that helps.

Think of it this way. If you were in physical pain (headache,backache etc) you'd think nothing of taking some painkillers in order to east the pain so you can go about your daily business. Anti-deppresents work in much the same way. It masks the pain so you can get on with life easier.

All the people saying they don't work and they are all placebos? Seriously? Do you actually believe a doctor would give out placebos? I've heard that argument before....but from someone who suffered really bad paranoia. Its just not logical. They can really help people. as long as said people aren't foolish enough to think they are a cure and actually go someway to helping themselves
    This!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary_Glitter)
    No, the drugs don't work, they just make you worse.
    ...But I know I'll see your face again
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I've been on anti-depressants for years, some have helped more than others.
    People react differently to them, and how much help they are varies.

Personally i think they are a joke.I have been on about 4/5 different types and different combinations and they still do nothing.I have come to the conclusion that it is only you who can cure yourself through whatever will work (for you)...the struggle continues.Furthermore,i have become disillusioned by the psychiatric establishment and i have lost faith in it.*This are just my experiences.*

ReputationRep:
    An SSRI, say, will work *if* serotonin levels are part of what worsens your depression (part, not all, because it's highly unlikely to be caused by just one thing, and if it was then an antidepressant *would* be a cure, which it's not intended to be).

I suppose the reason that for some people certain medications don't work at all is just because raising the level of that particular neurotransmitter is not correcting whatever is awry with their brain chemistry.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.