Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do anti-depressants actually help? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Combined with therapy they can provide a very effective solution in some cases, but not a definitive cure. I really don´t know If sthg like that actually exists.

ReputationRep:
    I have 'clinical depression' was diagnosed last november after i had a bit of a meltdown. 3 weeks after my diagnosis (sp?) i was reffered to an adolescent mental health unit as an informal patient (was there 4 months, discharged april 1st this year!)
    they put me on fluoxitine (prozac) 40mg straight away then increased it to 60mg 2 weeks later. after 2 months it was clear this did not work for me as there was no change in my mood and i became more anxious, suffered panic attacks and behaved more irrationally (breaking out twice, they were not impressed)
    anyways then started sertraline and within a week in my mood began to lift. So been on that (100mg) since feb and it really has helped, just taken the edge off the symptoms and combined with therapies i'm slowly recovering but still kinda early days

anyways to cut the waffiling (soz!) basically what others have said, anti depressants alone aren't normally enough to help with depression, plus there are alot of types out there so i guess its a case of trying different ones to see what works for the individual.

hope that helped :confused:
    not sure if any of what i said was relevant but hey!

Also medication can only do so much, tis not a miracle worker!

ReputationRep:
    Sigh...

I agree with xXMessedUpXx

Anti-depressants don't cure you. You cure yourself with their help. They just help you manage things.

The way I'd describe them is like something to numb you. They put up a barrier almost, so you can't get as low as before as easily. But I've found they numb most emotions, not just sadness. Excitement? Pah. :p: I never get excited. In terms of my emotions, everything is just water colour. Diluted, not really there. I'm apathetic and just 'meh'.

I have been on pretty much every SSRI and they all have horrendous side effects - they did for me anyway. I won't even begin to describe them but it was hell - I was on Paroxetine for a couple of weeks and wanted to die, so had to come off it. Then, coming off it (cold turkey, because my doctor was STUPID and didn't taper me off them) was the worst experience I've ever had in my life. I was curled up in a ball in my bed for a week, crying non-stop, not being able to move, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep; I just cried, and hurt, and ached, and felt nauseous and static buzzing through my body and migraines and argh I never want to go through that again.

That all said, anti-depressants (I'm currently on Venlafaxine 150mg) have helped simply because that 'numbing' has helped me get through life without hurting every minute of every day, which did make it impossible to live. As someone else said, it's not like the decision to go on them should be taken lightly as they have as many bad points as good - for example my concentration is pretty much non-existent and I always have 'mind fog'. But I don't know where I'd be today without them. They haven't cured me, at all - nothing ever will. But they make it easier to deal with.

I've been on them since 16; I'm nearly 20 and can't come off them because everytime I've tried I've relapsed incredibly badly, even when taken off them properly.

So yeah, like I said, they can help but you have to be wary of all factors - the fact that you'll probably want to come off them one day which can be extremely difficult, and the fact that they have negative side effects.

ReputationRep:
    I felt that they helped me with the physical aspects of depression i.e. enabling me to get to sleep, have the energy to get out of bed in the morning, to eat etc. However I took medication along side seeing a psychiatrist every week and having a supportive family so I'm not sure that on their own they would have been effective.

ReputationRep:
    Kind of, I was on them for 2 weeks but they were utter hell. The side effects were so not worth it.

Basically it just calms you down and helps stop that low realization that your sad but for me this was at the cost of sleeping, appetite, normal digestive behavior and IBS medication (this was the worst)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lodge)
    ...But I know I'll see your face again
    High five!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    You haven't heard of anyone being "cured" by anti-depressents because simply put, that isn't what they are used for.

There is no cure for depression. Only different methods of helping you cope with it.

Anti-depressants CAN help a lot, but it depends on the severity of the depression in the first place. For most mild depression talking therapies are usually the fist point of call, and some people may even be able to lift themselves out of the depression without any intervention.

However for those of us with more serious/long term depression then anti depressants can be a godsend. Without them i would probably be dead. I dont see them as a cure, i see them as something that helps.

Think of it this way. If you were in physical pain (headache,backache etc) you'd think nothing of taking some painkillers in order to east the pain so you can go about your daily business. Anti-deppresents work in much the same way. It masks the pain so you can get on with life easier.

All the people saying they don't work and they are all placebos? Seriously? Do you actually believe a doctor would give out placebos? I've heard that argument before....but from someone who suffered really bad paranoia. Its just not logical. They can really help people. as long as said people aren't foolish enough to think they are a cure and actually go someway to helping themselves
    Mostly good points, but don't be so naive. There are some medications that are placebos, but no one complains because they don't know which ones, and therefore, they still work as they believe they will. I did a project on placebos, and they do work, with minimal side effects.

Anti-depressants, however, have proved to be successful with many people, but as xXMessedUpXx mentioned, it isn't a cure. There is no cure for mental illness, but ways to deal with it. Anti-depressants are purely there to assist in recovery.

Unfortunately, doctors are always short on time with patients, so when someone comes in saying there are depressed, they will be prescribed anti-depressants, rather than getting to the problem that has caused this in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    sometimes and sometimes not.

Even if you do take them you NEED to get to the root of the problem.

I've been on Prozac on and of for nearly 2 years now (i'm 17). I have no idea if it's helped or not but some days you wake up feeling so desperate you need to feel like you are doing something to help yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grantrough)
    Mostly good points, but don't be so naive. There are some medications that are placebos, but no one complains because they don't know which ones, and therefore, they still work as they believe they will. I did a project on placebos, and they do work, with minimal side effects.

Anti-depressants, however, have proved to be successful with many people, but as xXMessedUpXx mentioned, it isn't a cure. There is no cure for mental illness, but ways to deal with it. Anti-depressants are purely there to assist in recovery.

Unfortunately, doctors are always short on time with patients, so when someone comes in saying there are depressed, they will be prescribed anti-biotics, rather than getting to the problem that has caused this in the first place.
    Antibiotics? Really? Do you not mean antidepressants?

ReputationRep:
    Antidepressants can help but like other people have said they're not magic, they don't make you feel on top of the world wonderful they just give you the means to deal with stuff. I mostly feel numb on antidepressants, after eventually finding ones that had some effect, sure I don't feel sad so much, but I didn't feel much else either and that's a **** feeling in itself. You don't feel excited or happy, just meh all the time. Life loses a lot of its fun but at least it's better than the pit of depression. Antidepressants help you sleep, eat, shower, generally just live, but they don't make you normal again, not in my experience anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    Antibiotics? Really? Do you not mean antidepressants?
    lol, oops, my mistake

ReputationRep:
    I was on antidepressants they helped for a while then suddenly they didnt help anymore.. now i just try to stay positive cause the side effects are horrible

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.