Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I just did the multiple choice section of Practice Paper 1 from the LNAT website and on it I got 23 out of 30. [I haven't looked at the essay questions -- I'm saving them for later.] How good is a score of 23/30 on the multiple choice? Thanks for all your help!

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know that's a pretty decent score; but obviously it depends on how everyone else does (I'm not entirely sure how much the mean score fluctuates each year), but going by other TSR threads anything above 18/19 is an ok/good score.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the quick response... now i know what to aim for on the test

It's not the end of the world if you don't do well anyway. The LNAT is just one factor, and I've encountered people who got Oxbridge interviews with comparatively low scores (i.e. in the 10-15 range). It's probably only really critical if you've got a poor showing at GCSE or AS.

Keep in mind the practice tests do differ quite a bit in terms of difficulty, though. I got 22 on the official one, 25-27 on a couple others, and 13-15 on another set.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    It's not the end of the world if you don't do well anyway. The LNAT is just one factor, and I've encountered people who got Oxbridge interviews with comparatively low scores (i.e. in the 10-15 range). It's probably only really critical if you've got a poor showing at GCSE or AS.

Keep in mind the practice tests do differ quite a bit in terms of difficulty, though. I got 22 on the official one, 25-27 on a couple others, and 13-15 on another set.
    I'd like to echo this. I remember back in October I was terribly worried about having messed up my LNAT exam, but I still ended up getting the offer I wanted. I got a score of 16, but my essay, although short, was apparently enough to convince them I was worthy of a place. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_22)
    I'd like to echo this. I remember back in October I was terribly worried about having messed up my LNAT exam, but I still ended up getting the offer I wanted. I got a score of 16, but my essay, although short, was apparently enough to convince them I was worthy of a place. :yes:

Hey,
    I just wanted to ask...what was your essay about? Did you need to know a lot about current affairs to answer it? And can you choose from a variety of essay questions or do you just get one essay question?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spain'93)
    Hey,
    I just wanted to ask...what was your essay about? Did you need to know a lot about current affairs to answer it? And can you choose from a variety of essay questions or do you just get one essay question?
    Thanks.
    Hi,

I am unable to recall the exact essay question, but do remember it being something along the lines of the debate of whether the government should only sponsor people studying sciences or whether humanities and arts are worthy of the same kind of government attention. It wasn't formulated in the exact same way, but anyway... you get the idea

You can choose from four or five essay questions and for some you might need knowledge of current affairs, but that's not to say you need to know a lot - all that's needed is the knowledge to support the arguments you make.

ReputationRep:
    You need to do a couple more and see how consistent you are. 23 itself would be regarded as a very good score and most people would be very happy with it. The more you do the more you get used to its format and you find a way to tackle those questions that challenged you before.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.