Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Brown would back Blair

Blair the next EU president could potentially kill the EU, what are your views on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    Brown would back Blair

Blair the next EU president could potentially kill the EU, what are your views on this?
    And why do you say that??

ReputationRep:
    Blair would make a a great EU president

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    And why do you say that??
    We saw what happened when Bush attached his strings upon him, what happens if Obama or worse Jintao does the same?

The EU, if united would overtake the US. Now if we're capable of that, then why on earth are out presidents licking the American's arses day in day out. I don't see Blair as president because he's simply not big enough for the job.

I'd like my continent to prosper and not to turn into America's next branch of states.

ReputationRep:
    do we vote on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Next EU president? Who was the previous one? The position doesn't even exist yet...
    President of the European Commission...

Why do you argue for the sake of arguing?

ReputationRep:
    President of the European Commission...

Why do you argue for the sake of arguing?
    I think you mean President of the European Council.

There isn't a President of the European Council yet, it is a rotating presidency of member-states, not individuals. But to point out this distinction is not 'arguing for the sake of arguing'. You seem to have an image of a role which not only does not exist but that is not proposed either. The EU already has several 'presidents' - most notably the President of the Parliament and the President of the Commission. The role, however, is rather more one of Chairman than President in the head-of-state vein, which is actually the older and more proper use of the term.

That said, if the role is to come into being, I think Blair would be excellent for it. He holds decent, "Anglo-Saxon" values (as the French would call them); but more importantly Britain, and Blair in particular, bridge the gap between Europe and North America.

ReputationRep:
    tbh I think blair was better than brown is now

ReputationRep:
    President of the EU Council.

If you read your own link, you'll see the position currently doesn't exist, and would appear only if all EU member states ratified the new constitution.
    My question remains unanswered, I appreciate your concern for my lack of EU knowledge however I don't feel too happy about Blair being the next president of the EU council, do you...Bismarck?

ReputationRep:
    He'd probably be good. Within the EU he is probably the most widely known political figure who currently isn't in office, and is well known round the world.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon he'd be pretty good, if the job ever comes into existence.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're putting the cart before the horse. It will be years before Blair can even be nominated, assuming the treaty ever passes. And the odds of a British candidate winning aren't particularly high either. I'd wait until something has at least some chance of occurring before worrying about it.
    Yes, I agree and understand that this is blatant British paper talk, however what if...

What if, in a few years Blair managed to become president of the EU council?

How would you feel?

ReputationRep:
    I'd want to see it just to see the reaction of the Daily Mail.

I'd also want to see it because every other press conference would begin "So Tony, w'erez dem wepinz of mass distrucshion den?"

If gangsta rap is responsible for violence on our streets, I wanna know what Blair and Bush were listening to before they launched into Iraq.
    "I do me execution wiv no UN resolushion"

ReputationRep:
    Is Brown going to be in power in a few years to nominate Blair? Are most other EU countries, most of whom don't particularly like the UK, going to support a controversial British candidate? Are the EU member states going to support a presidential candidate who has an independent streak (instead of someone who can be easier controlled)?

It's hard to tell when we don't even know what the position will entail (in practice).
    I asked how you would feel if he was elected, but yeah I see many obstacles in his path, mainly because as you pointed out, his nationality and controversy.

ReputationRep:
    We saw what happened when Bush attached his strings upon him, what happens if Obama or worse Jintao does the same?

The EU, if united would overtake the US. Now if we're capable of that, then why on earth are out presidents licking the American's arses day in day out. I don't see Blair as president because he's simply not big enough for the job.

I'd like my continent to prosper and not to turn into America's next branch of states.
    What exactly happened when bush "attached his strings upon him"?
    Why would we want a united EU? Sure the whole thing would be more powerful than the USA but what does that actually matter? It won't be British power it will be european power and given the divergent interests of the nations of the EU such power would probably never even be used. If we have to choose between america and the EU (which we don't) why shouldn't we choose the USA its proved much more useful over the last 70 years than europe has. Blair is more than big enough for the job he stood up to half the world over iraq that shows strength of character I think.

Personally I would like my nation to prosper, I wish europe all the best but I dont really care if it prospers or not.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse. It will be years before Blair can even be nominated, assuming the treaty ever passes. And the odds of a British candidate winning aren't particularly high either. I'd wait until something has at least some chance of occurring before worrying about it.
    It does have a chance of occurring soon. If the Irish vote Yes in the referendum on 2/10/09 (and current polls suggest they will) then the treaty will be effectively be ratified. If that likely scenario happens then we can expect an EU president next year. Brown will be PM until June, so he will probably have a role to play.

Even if the Irish "change their minds", that would leave 7 other countries (excluding the UK) who haven't ratified the Constitution, including France and the Netherlands, who previously rejected it.
    You're confusing the defunct Constitution with the Lisbon Treaty. Ireland is the only country that has a question mark over ratification of the Lisbon Treaty - of the 27, 23 have ratified and 3 have had ratification approved by their chamber. If Ireland vote Yes on 2/10/09 then the Lisbon Treaty will almost certainly be in force by the start of 2010, barring any unforeseen problems.

ReputationRep:
    This doesnt bear thinking about..
    I mean what sort of representative accepts a '£1 million pound leadership award' from Israel whilst being a member of the Quartet envoy in the Middle East.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh...i'm against the lisbon treaty..so i would be against having an EU president :P...but if I HAD to choose, Blair isn't a bad politician, the only problem I see is that he loves America just a tiny wee bit...so America could use this to their advantage.

ReputationRep:
    Brown would back Blair

As PM he took us unprepared into a 2 conflicts which will, realistically, last for decades, dismantled our civil liberties and effectively abolished habeas corpus, and sat back while Gordon Brown as Chancellor set up a regulatory system which permitted the worst banking crisis in living memory.

However, he is charismatic and a great presenter.

Sounds just like the sort of waster the EU would love.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.