Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ok the title is a tad odd, but will try and explain the best I can.

I am doing a dissertation that is linked with global crime (not saying exact topic) and my tutor has suggested I take a module in semester one that will help with my topic. HOWEVER I have a keen in the CJS and have discovered a module that I very much want to do.

Now I have the dilemma of picking between these two modules: do I go with the one that can help with my dissertation or b) go with the module that I have a keen interest in and will look good on CV for potential employers? I can't do both because my other 2 fields are filled up with my compulsory and my dissertation.

Im not asking people to choose for me, just want some advice on what would you personally do.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    do the one you believe will get you the most marks or is easier.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd go for the one that you have a keen interest in. If your university is anything like mine was, there'll be no harm in doing so. You'll enjoy, and make the most of, your chosen module - and hopefully your tutors will be able to point you in the right direction and give you the support you need to do your own dissertation research.

(Original post by cpj1987)
    Personally, I'd go for the one that you have a keen interest in. If your university is anything like mine was, there'll be no harm in doing so. You'll enjoy, and make the most of, your chosen module - and hopefully your tutors will be able to point you in the right direction and give you the support you need to do your own dissertation research.
    I was also thinking even though doing that one particular module may well help me - if I come across something that is like wow will help loads with my diss - I can't just use it - I'll have to get permission from whoever taught the lecture and bla bla bla . . .

So on that perspective im leaning more towards doing the one I have a keen interest in, rather than doing a module that will help my diss because someone suggested it . . .

Might also badger my tutor and see what he says . .

ReputationRep:
    I deliberately switched out of the class on my dissertation topic to get away from having a year of pretty much exactly the same stuff (dissertation and that module would have made up 75% of that years marks), and in hindsight it was a brilliant choice. The department I had recommended taking as wide a spread of subjects as possible in order to broaden your thinking, so it was as much their idea as mine, but I ended up with good As all round- which may not have had been the case if I'd lost motivation by doing the same thing all year.

ReputationRep:
    Do your modules have good reading lists? Surely you should just go for the module you really like, which will look good on your CV and whatever, but then use the reading list from the module your tutor suggested and familiarise yourself with anything off of it that looks particularly useful for your dissertation. I'm sure your tutor would be perfectly happy to support this decision and help you identify the most relevant areas of the module he suggested if you seem to be proactive about it all.

(Original post by Craghyrax)
    Do your modules have good reading lists? Surely you should just go for the module you really like, which will look good on your CV and whatever, but then use the reading list from the module your tutor suggested and familiarise yourself with anything off of it that looks particularly useful for your dissertation. I'm sure your tutor would be perfectly happy to support this decision and help you identify the most relevant areas of the module he suggested if you seem to be proactive about it all.
    Actually that is a good point you've highlighted actually . . best of both worlds! As coming to think of it, if i did the module that would help with my dissertation as well as getting the support from my diss. tutor, I may feel like im being overloaded and get bored of my dissertation full stop (even though the module runs for 12weeks!)

(Original post by 0404343m)
    I deliberately switched out of the class on my dissertation topic to get away from having a year of pretty much exactly the same stuff (dissertation and that module would have made up 75% of that years marks), and in hindsight it was a brilliant choice. The department I had recommended taking as wide a spread of subjects as possible in order to broaden your thinking, so it was as much their idea as mine, but I ended up with good As all round- which may not have had been the case if I'd lost motivation by doing the same thing all year.
    Yea the suggested module only runs for 12weeks, but even so I will probably get bored of my diss and the module and probably not put as much effort into it due to boredum.

So i think its safe to say - do my keen interest, giving my brain a chance to get away from dissertation related topic, rather then being overloaded with it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Now I have the dilemma of picking between these two modules: do I go with the one that can help with my dissertation or b) go with the module that I have a keen interest in and will look good on CV for potential employers? I can't do both because my other 2 fields are filled up with my compulsory and my dissertation.
    Is there actually a timetable clash, if not you might be able to take it as an additional non-examined unit, it might be worth checking with your tutor to see if that's a possibility.

(Original post by ttx)
    Is there actually a timetable clash, if not you might be able to take it as an additional non-examined unit, it might be worth checking with your tutor to see if that's a possibility.
    There is no timetable clash - I can't do both because my other choices have been picked and im happy with those and both of these two modules im pontificating over are in semester one!

Its either the one to help with dissertation or the one I have a keen interest in? . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    There is no timetable clash - I can't do both because my other choices have been picked and im happy with those and both of these two modules im pontificating over are in semester one!
    I'm saying that they may let you take an additional one beyond your other choices.

(Original post by ttx)
    I'm saying that they may let you take an additional one beyond your other choices.
    Its not possible as there was already a note on module selection choices about only picking 7 modules - that's it! And tbh I don't want to have 3 lectures on Monday - 9:15 til 6:15!! Its either one or the other . .

ReputationRep:
    Is there a way of possibly doing the module you enjoy and getting the reading list for the other module from a friend who is taking the other module?

That way you can have the best of both worlds and I'm sure you'll do wider reading around the areas anyway around each of the topics and make an informed decision !!

(Original post by brunette580)
    Is there a way of possibly doing the module you enjoy and getting the reading list for the other module from a friend who is taking the other module?

That way you can have the best of both worlds and I'm sure you'll do wider reading around the areas anyway around each of the topics and make an informed decision !!
    Yea its kinda what Craghyrax suggested and I think I might just do that tbh . . as they have this thing @ uni where they upload all lec notes and module guides and anyone from that year can access it so long as they studying in that particular field.

So if I decide to go with my keen interest and drop the suggested on, then I will either do that or ask someone from the class to lemme photocopy their module guide reading list and go from there.

ReputationRep:
    Sorted. Good luck :awesome:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.