Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So we had a practice interview at school and this question that they asked me has been giving me sleepless nights:

If you lived in a cardboard bx and people fed you your memories, feelings and experiences, would your life be better or worse and why?

ReputationRep:
    What was the interview for? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    worst, why would you want the memories, feelings and experiences without ACTUALLY experiencing it? Isn't that the best part. And the question doesn't really make sense.

ReputationRep:
    Why would they need to feed you them? Do you have amnesia? Is this why you live in this carboard box?

Well i certainly have never been asked that before in a job, college or uni interview so you must be trying out for Miss World.
    Hey, you cant do any worse than that blatantly homophobic one.

ReputationRep:
    this question is in the back of "how do you know a banana is a banana" or whatever that book is called. My answer is... if it's all you'd known all your life and you were being fed experiences then you wouldn't know that you weren't really going through them...making your quality of life exactly the same

ReputationRep:
    I would say that depends on what sort of life you've led. Perhaps you would genuinely want to experience it, or perhaps you wouldn't, but then again, the real answer is probably that there isn't a difference. You wouldn't know either way - you could even be in the cardboard box right now - so the question is a pointless one.

I'm using ' - ' a lot lately. -------------------

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    What was the interview for? :lolwut:
    It was an oxbridge interview. The teacher who interviewed me said he know it didnt have a right or wrong answer but I had to take up a point of view and argue for it.

ReputationRep:
    Were you aware that you were in the cardboard box being programmed memories?

ReputationRep:
    Would you know that you were a cardboard box or would you think the experiences were real?

ReputationRep:
    It's a difficult one, but I'm leaning on the side of it being worse- sometimes it's difficult enough within your own brain to process your own memories and experiences, without other people's who you likely have no connection to also being in your head. It would probably eventually make you go insane- also, your life would be worse because you're living in a cardboard box...
    There's another angle. You could think of it as escapism- living in a cardboard box would be pretty miserable for you, and having other people's thoughts and experiences could be a form of living through others for you, so it could make you generally happier.
    This question has no real answer, but good luck with your interview

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.