Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Well, I've started trying to learn the C2 topics...and I'm frequently struggling with a few of the topics. I am basically self-teaching myself at the moment, and I understand I can't grasp everything on my own without a teacher guiding me. However, I'm starting to worry about whether Further Maths was a good choice...considering C2 seems quite challenging here and there.

Therefore, I keep worrying about whether F Maths is a good idea or not. I'm the best at maths at my school and several others are taking F Maths also, and I reckon I did really well in C1 and S1 [which I did early]...but then I feel F Maths might be too much to handle along with Biology, Chemistry and Physics which are my other definite choices. :eek:

So my questions are:
    Is AS Further Maths much more difficult than AS Maths?
    Do some topics overlap or are they completely new topics?
    Is the workload bearable?
    Do you think I stand a good chance of getting an A or A* in AS Further Maths if I get an A* in AS Maths [which I should hopefully get this year]?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narik)
    Hi all,
    Well, I've started trying to learn the C2 topics...and I'm frequently struggling with a few of the topics. I am basically self-teaching myself at the moment, and I understand I can't grasp everything on my own without a teacher guiding me. However, I'm starting to worry about whether Further Maths was a good choice...considering C2 seems quite challenging here and there.

Therefore, I keep worrying about whether F Maths is a good idea or not. I'm the best at maths at my school and several others are taking F Maths also, and I reckon I did really well in C1 and S1 [which I did early]...but then I feel F Maths might be too much to handle along with Biology, Chemistry and Physics which are my other definite choices. :eek:

So my questions are:
    Do you think I stand a good chance of getting an A or A* in AS Further Maths if I get an A* in AS Maths [which I should hopefully get this year]?

Thanks.
    You can't get an A* in an AS

ReputationRep:
    AS Further Maths is pretty straight forward, the topics you pick will determine this tho...

Topics don't overlap but you will need C1-C4 knowledge to be able to do it...

Workload might not be bearable if your doing in effect 5 AS/A levels....

It's pretty hard to get an A/A* unless you really work at it....

ReputationRep:
    I think it's much harder when you are trying to self-teach - we had to do that with a couple of chapters, and didn't grasp them nearly as well. I don't think that it'd be too much to cope with if you will have a teacher for f maths - but it'll depend on you! I wouldn't say it's particularly more difficult, you only have to do one FP module for AS, and it's not really any harder than C2, there's just more of it, and the topics are less connected to each other. There's a bit of overlap, but not that much. If you're going to get a high A in maths, there's no reason why you couldn't get the same in further maths, provided you do the same amount of work. (can't get A* at AS, only A2) I've done AS maths and further maths this year, and honestly, I found further maths the easier, probably due to my teachers though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narik)
    So my questions are:

Thanks.
    From experience AS FM isn't that much harder, you just do more applied modules, if you like them.

Some topics overlap between C1/2 and FP1 (I did AQA, btw) such as integration and indefinite integrals and trigonometry/general solutions.

The workload is bearable. You'll be happy come exam time when you've not got to remember loads of things, just do past papers.

& you stand an impossible chance because you can't get an A* at AS. If you get an A in maths you'll probably get an A/B in FM easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narik)
    Hi all,

So my questions are:

Thanks.
    AS further maths is more difficult, but not massively so. You might struggle with parts of c2 but at the moment you are getting to grips with the basics. Once you have mastered these things you'll find the rest easier.

Mainly it is topics from A2 maths that overlap with AS further maths, but i'm thinking about the old one and i'm not sure if this is changed. Before it was changed there was a fair bit of calculus in fp1 and fp2.

I suppose if you get an A* in maths it might mean you are capable of getting one in further maths, but i suppose it all depends on how hard you work and whether you take to the topics in further maths.

AS Further maths, i.e. FP1 is not harder much harder than C2
    you cant get A* in AS levels
    if you find C1 and C2 hard then FP2 and FP3, you might find very hard

ReputationRep:
    Do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George231086)
    AS further maths is more difficult, but not massively so. You might struggle with parts of c2 but at the moment you are getting to grips with the basics. Once you have mastered these things you'll find the rest easier.

Mainly it is topics from A2 maths that overlap with AS further maths, but i'm thinking about the old one and i'm not sure if this is changed. Before it was changed there was a fair bit of calculus in fp1 and fp2.

I suppose if you get an A* in AS maths it might mean you are capable of getting one in AS further maths, but i suppose it all depends on how hard you work and whether you take to the topics in further maths.
    I think that varies on exam board to. There is no A2 maths on the AQA syllabus.

No no no. No A*s in AS!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you're struggling with C2, I wouldn't recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    you are already doing 4 AS's - why bother with 5 and if you are finding core maths difficult then you have no chance with further maths - just drop further maths - better getting 4 A's then 4A's and a B or C

ReputationRep:
    As long as you put the work in, you'll be able to do FM. It'll be hard to keep up but it is do-able.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam92)
    I think that varies on exam board to. There is no A2 maths on the AQA syllabus.

No no no. No A*s in AS!
    I think this is the first year that they have brought that in. When i did it, fp1 required things from c4 and c3.

Ok, there is no A* in AS. However, the OP's sentiments were obvious, so i tried to answer his question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George231086)
    I think this is the first year that they have brought that in. When i did it, fp1 required things from c4 and c3.

Ok, there is no A* in AS. However, the OP's sentiments were obvious, so i tried to answer his question.
    Well the specification hasn't even changed this year, so yano :rolleyes:

& yes, they were.

ReputationRep:
    Get out while you still can.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    regular maths overlaps further maths. nothing you learn at fm really helps in maths imo. its makes it go more in depth so it seems easier, but never anything you need to even remotely know if you're just doing the regular a level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyPilgrim)
    Get out while you still can.
    I agree with him..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.