Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I signed on last week just to get a little extra cash whilst I get a job. Hopefully I won't be on it long. I have to sign on this Monday to get my £100 - does anyone know what it's like? I wasn't sure if you were quizzed and pressed every fortnight you went in there or if it was just a monthly thing and when I go in there it'll be a quick in and out?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Well, my boyfriend signs on, and he says its a complete waste of time..

ReputationRep:
    I think you've maybe come to the wrong place, as I wouldn't say many people on this site have 'signed on'; they're pretty much all Oxford applicants.

I could be wrong, though...

ReputationRep:
    you sign on every two weeks to show you've been looking for work...just fill in the booklet to show that you've been making the effort...they don't grill you it's just a standard proceedure

it may be a wait if theres a queue delay but minus that its a fairly quick process

ReputationRep:
    It's a fairly quick in-and-out - take your little book with you, and have some stuff written in it about what you've done to look for a job. Other than that, they'll probably look at jobs on the computer with you for a bit, and make some suggestions of things for you to apply for. Pretty painless, though.

ReputationRep:
    Adding to what others have said - you have to sign a piece of paper when you sign on as well. I did tell the person I can't find anything and got told not to worry.

ReputationRep:
    You have a book with a table in the back, you have to write down three things a week that you've done to look for a job (make sure you ring them once a week, that has to be one of them and they WILL check up on that), looking in the paper/on the internet and harassing local businesses tends to be enough. I moved out of a tiny Welsh town and back in with my parents while I was signing on, and I definitely noticed the difference- in Carmarthen I was in and out. In Liverpool I was waiting about 40 minutes. Depending on the level of unemployment in your area, take a book or something. Or use the job bank computers they have there to pass the time if you haven't done your three things. The money takes about three days to go in, I signed on Tuesdays and got paid on Fridays.

ReputationRep:
    For the first week (no idea why) you won't get a full weeks' worth of benefit.

ReputationRep:
    They do it from the day you sign on. It's the same with your last week. Be careful with any job that requires training first- I had a couple of months of unpaid training before I started my job, but as far as the job centre was concerned I had a job and couldn't claim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_KaKa)
    I could be wrong, though...
    hahahaha yeah you could be!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.