Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, im looking for abit of advice.
    Basically i recently got my results for 3rd year and found that id failed 2 modules and only got mid-low 40's in the other 4. Once i do my re-takes this will mean ill only come out with a 3rd. Ive got no-one to blame but myself as i know i didnt put any where near enough effort in this year and know i can do so much better. I was wondering if it was possible or anyone had ever heard of re-taking the year although technically i didnt completely fail?
    thanks very much for any help you can give me

ReputationRep:
    Could you not ask a member of staff at your university?

ReputationRep:
    ive emailed, as yet no reply! Just kinda wanted to know what my chances were/ if it had ever been done before?

ReputationRep:
    I might be wrong, but as far as I'm aware your not allowed to repeat the final year of your studies unless its extremely special circumstances and your exam board are really nice to you - if it had been 1st or 2nd year I'm sure they'd have let you repeat - but when its the final degree granting year, I don't think they let you...

They might though - I hope they do,

ReputationRep:
    Generally you need some sort of extreme extenuating circumstances to be able to retake and get anything other than a 3rd. Girlfriend getting pregnant, depression, mugging with PTSD, etc... You're going to need some written evidence to back your claims up, but just 'yeah I know, I went out clubbing and got drunk too much' isn't really an excuse that they'll swallow.

I was able to re-do my dissertation, moving my degree from a 2:2 to a 2:1 as quite frankly my house-mates in my final year had been complete dicks. They basically stayed up and had friends round for what were basically 'min-parties' every single night pretty much without fail until 5am, including and in fact especially on nights before I had lectures that started early, making it virtually impossible for me to be able to attend the lectures for these modules.

It got so bad that not only did I get the Police involved to try to 'evict' some of their guests (but in a joint tenancy 'all' tenants need to agree to evict someone), but I ended up sleeping at a friend of the family's flat for getting on three months just to get some sleep. And of course the neighbours had complained to our landlords about the noise, and had tried to instigate ASBO proceedings against us. Needless to say this meant that I could quite easily obtain documentary evidence to back up my claims (that my house-mates were a bunch of noisy inconsiderate *******), and of course a written statement from the friend of the family that I ended up staying with about the circumstances of this.

ReputationRep:
    You're not normally allowed to repeat the final year of your degree. Unless you've got extenuating circumstances, it's very unlikely. Can't hurt to ask though, I suppose.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.