Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've finally decided I'm going to ask a girl out (after what, a whole year of deliberating...lol) and I thinks he's probably going to say yes because we've flirted with each other quote a lot.

Anyway, where do I take her for the first date? :confused:

And plus, I can get stupidly shy around girls I like, any tips on making good conversation? ...lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've finally decided I'm going to ask a girl out (after what, a whole year of deliberating...lol) and I thinks he's probably going to say yes because we've flirted with each other quote a lot.

And plus, I can get stupidly shy around girls I like, any tips on making good conversation? ...lol
    Why does she change sex halfway through your post? :p:

Get them to talk about themselves...they love it apparently!

ReputationRep:
    Go for a coffee/drink or a walk in a park or something similar. Somewhere you can talk and get to know one another.

So avoid the cinema and places were you cant talk, leave that for a later date if you really wanted to go there.

(Original post by bigmo7)
    Why does she change sex halfway through your post? :p:

Get them to talk about themselves...they love it apparently!
    Bah, silly spacing typo :p:

Yeah I've heard they love talking about themselves, and it's perfect for me because I don't want to have to talk much lol as I'm more interested in her anyway. How do I start off the convo so she can start endlessly talking about herself?

ReputationRep:
    Just ask something like "So, Hows life" and whatever she ends on just ask her about that. Do that continuously, its not hard

Just sometimes it doesn't work, but you should be able to think of something.

Example:

Guy: So, hows life?
    Girl: Great, I'm doing really well at school
    Guy: Awesome, what grades are you getting?
    Girl: All A/A*
    Guy: Wow thats great, what subjects are you studying?

Etc...

Of couse, maybe not as geeky as that, but if she starts talking about something like that, just go along with it, as long as shes happy with it and your not bored to death, its all good.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:

This could be awkward mate. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Bah, silly spacing typo :p:

Yeah I've heard they love talking about themselves, and it's perfect for me because I don't want to have to talk much lol as I'm more interested in her anyway. How do I start off the convo so she can start endlessly talking about herself?
    I dunno...I always seem to get there somehow (I don't have a GF but when I'm alone with a girl, it just happens!

(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    Go for a coffee/drink or a walk in a park or something similar. Somewhere you can talk and get to know one another.

So avoid the cinema and places were you cant talk, leave that for a later date if you really wanted to go there.
    Yeah for example like Starbucks or somewhere similar...you can get to know each other really well....just don't let it get awkward! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    My friend recently went on a first date with someone to the seafront and they played crazy golf, had chips and a walk along the seafront. She said it was good and better than the cinema where she usually goes for first dates. Obviously that would involve living near the beach though! If you dont, how about a nice picnic in a park/the countryside. You could do some yummy food and even get some vino and have a romantic drinky and picnic Other ideas are dinner/drinks somewhere/bowling/a DVD round at yours.

For the convo question...just ask different questions (even make a list before you go so you remember!). Talk about fairly light hearted things like films/music/food/school/general plans for after school (if you are at school!) And show interest in her answers. Ooh, and compliment her Talk about yourself a bit but not too much. Hopefully you'll find you will be fairly relaxed around each other so the conversation will flow naturally :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Lunch/coffee is good as it gives you the opportunity to talk and get to know each other better (unlike say the cinema) without it being too serious and formal, like an evening meal. Also, if it's not going well you can make your excuses and leave after 20 minutes. My first date was a coffee date actually, we were there three hours :awesome:

If you're not too good at conversation, think of some 'conversation topics' you can talk about to avoid the dreaded awkward silence. A quick stalk of her facebook page will show what sort of music etc she's into, which may be helpful. Alternatively, a fun activity, such as iceskating or bowling, may reduce the need for conversation which makes it less forced, while still giving you the chance to chat.

Anyway, relax and enjoy the date, I'm sure it'll all be fine. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Lunch/coffee is good as it gives you the opportunity to talk and get to know each other better (unlike say the cinema) without it being too serious and formal, like an evening meal. Also, if it's not going well you can make your excuses and leave after 20 minutes. My first date was a coffee date actually, we were there three hours :awesome:

If you're not too good at conversation, think of some 'conversation topics' you can talk about to avoid the dreaded awkward silence. A quick stalk of her facebook page will show what sort of music etc she's into, which may be helpful. Alternatively, a fun activity, such as iceskating or bowling, may reduce the need for conversation which makes it less forced, while still giving you the chance to chat.

Anyway, relax and enjoy the date, I'm sure it'll all be fine. Good luck!
    I love how people just assume that everyone has a facebook account. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityOfMyHeart)
    Cinema is good if you find you run out of things to say - It's a good awkwardness remover! But yeah, I wouldn't aim just to go there. It can work though (speaking from experience).

Apart from that, go for a meal and walk around talking. Simple things are sometimes zeh best. Oh and when I say meal, depending on your age, I think anything should be okay.. Even McDonalds :eek:

But try and avoid that. :p:
    Yeah try and avoid places like KFC and McDonalds.

ReputationRep:
    Go for a walk in the park!!
    Or a coffee - just somewhere that's not so loud so you can talk!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Some girls don't like that! My last boyfriend tried to do it sometimes and it really annoyed me. We're not all that self-obsessed :p:

ReputationRep:
    Go play pool?

Ugh. I love pool.
    You can talk, while doing something. And if things get awkward at all you can just pretend to concentrate on your game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myheadsbeenspinning)
    Go play pool?

Ugh. I love pool.
    You can talk, while doing something. And if things get awkward at all you can just pretend to concentrate on your game.
    I like the quote on your profile.

Thanks for the advice guys and gals Fingers crossed it will go well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho0101)
    I love how people just assume that everyone has a facebook account. :p:
    Well, every guy I've ever been on a date with does, so.... :dontknow:

I can only think of two people I'm friends with that don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    A quick stalk of her facebook page will show what sort of music etc she's into, which may be helpful.
    Lol. Avoid mentioning you've done that though... it's a bit creepy :p:...

My ex did the same thing but went a bit far with the old stalking and memorised my birthday, my best friends' birthdays (YES PLURAL!! :eek: ) and EVERYTHING I'd put... it completely freaked me out! HA!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.