Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so ive signed myself up for job seekers allowance done the first sign of thing but the thing is im going uni in october which im definite about so now im thinking what do i say when i go to sign off coz its gonna look wrong as i had some view that i would be going university...so any suggestions what i would do

ReputationRep:
    Not commit benefit fraud by signing onto jobseekers allowance when you're in full time education in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    Labours gunna ******* you

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were able to claim it between 6th form and uni as you're not in education between those dates...in any case, it's for people seeking a job so it is kind of dishonest to claim it if you are just planning on living off that all summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lordzola)
    Labours gunna ******* you
    i hate labour anyway so lykk.......anyway i will go sign of by making up some excuse

ReputationRep:
    You are claiming JSA and are actively seeking a job, you are not yet a student and so are entitled to claim.
    A few days before you begin Uni, simply ring them and tell them you are goin to University but will however continue to look for a job.
    I don't see the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terryw)
    You are claiming JSA and are actively seeking a job, you are not yet a student and so are entitled to claim.
    A few days before you begin Uni, simply ring them and tell them you are goin to University but will however continue to look for a job.
    I don't see the issue.
    Correct, not sure what the first pair of idiots are dribbling about.

ReputationRep:
    You are entitled up until you enrol at University and get student funding/loans to live on.

ReputationRep:
    My mom works for the JSA section and pretty much forced me to claim between college and uni, it is 100% legal as long as you are actually looking for a job (which is more than most people on the dole do).

And if they complain about it just say you were looking for a job but since you havnt found one your going to uni.

What is illegal is claiming JSA between years at university (though at one point there was some loophole in the law that aloud you to do this, but it got closed)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terryw)
    I don't see the issue.

thats what i thought hmm i'll wait till results day and then say ive got a place in university so wanna cancell make some crap up about not knowing if i was gonna go uni thanks for replies people

ReputationRep:
    People talk about all the fraud and stuff and yes, i agree that a student shouldnt have money while at uni, as thats the rules and its fair.

BUT, my friend in London gets 100 every two weeks and she told them she is a student and is going back to uni. They said no at first but she kept kicking up a fuss and eventually they gave in. I dont agree with it, but she hasnt commited fraud, they know exactly what the situation is.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same thing, I star Uni in October and am claiming JSA because I simply can't find a job but I'm still looking for one. The difference is that I told them that I have a conditional offer for Uni and so my place is not guaranteed yet so they said that's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    I'm doing the same thing, I star Uni in October and am claiming JSA because I simply can't find a job but I'm still looking for one. The difference is that I told them that I have a conditional offer for Uni and so my place is not guaranteed yet so they said that's fine.
    I did the same thing and have been told it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miz_perfecto)
    so ive signed myself up for job seekers allowance done the first sign of thing but the thing is im going uni in october which im definite about so now im thinking what do i say when i go to sign off coz its gonna look wrong as i had some view that i would be going university...so any suggestions what i would do
    I am on job seekers.. have been since april.. After I failed to find a job once woolworths closed.. I will be starting uni in september.. and the job centre know about it..

So when you go to sign off.. just tell them you are going into full time education.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation - it's fine/legal as long as you are actually looking for work.

But, question for anyone who knows:

When do you tell them that you're going to uni - because if I tell them a week before then surely they'll say that I must have known I intended to go to uni for longer than a week prior? Hmm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    I'm in the same situation - it's fine/legal as long as you are actually looking for work.

But, question for anyone who knows:

When do you tell them that you're going to uni - because if I tell them a week before then surely they'll say that I must have known I intended to go to uni for longer than a week prior? Hmm...
    Try mentioning next time you go.. say you have been offered a place.. but are still looking for work.
    Thats what I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miz_perfecto)
    if you go on jobseeker's allowance, you have to look for a job, I am looking for a job at the same time as on this allowance too, I actually want a temporary job though.... seriously, don't be a lazy scavenging ****. If you're on this allowance, you should be looking for a job, everyone else does so there's no reason you shouldn't too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eli2ab3th)
    Try mentioning next time you go.. say you have been offered a place.. but are still looking for work.
    Thats what I did.
    Hmm I'm just concerned that they'll stop my payments if I tell them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Hmm I'm just concerned that they'll stop my payments if I tell them
    They shouldn't do cos you are not in full time education, even though you have a place at uni for September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eli2ab3th)
    They shouldn't do cos you are not in full time education, even though you have a place at uni for September.
    Yeah, I'll tell them ASAP just incase they get mad at me lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.