Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for the morbid thread, not exactly the best discussion to talk about on a wednesday evening!

On another forum a student nurse was asking about the 'smell of death' of patients on her ward, and its something ive never come across either.

Just wondering what other peoples experiences on the 'smell' of someone dying, ive also heard many nurses talk about being able to tell when someone is dying, for example the change of pupils, also people talking about 'rose cottage'- what is this?

ReputationRep:
    Rose cottage = morgue
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgue

As for smell of death, when I started as a community HCA, an old lady died on my first day and there was a definite smell in the room, almost like a sweet smell. No idea about the change in pupils though.

ReputationRep:
    I've had quite a few patients who have died whilst on the ward......can't say I've ever noticed a smell but I thnik sometimes you can just look at someone and they just look like they're dying.........can't put my fingers on exactly what it is about them that makes you think it but you just "know"

The more you experience patients dying the more you will start to notice consistencies which you can look for in others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davey jones)
    go see a post mortem, thats how death smells.
    Go read a book called How not to make dumb suggestions on internet forums.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I watched my dad dying of a brain tumour. You could see him drifting away and his body had started to shut down. On the day that he died he was still able to speak but he was very calm and almost detached from what was happening. You know when death is close.

ReputationRep:
    My mums friend was new at a nursing home and someone had died. She had to go and check the body with another nurse. The other nurse pressed the body's tummy and a lot of gas moved up through the body, causeing it to sit up and make a wheezing noise. The poor new nurse got such a fright she ran straight out the room screaming! I find it rather funny but its really not something we should joke about. In all seriousness, my mum has mentioned the smell of death a few times but I don't really understand. A dead body definately does have a smell to it after a few days - could this be it? Also, I think when nurses can tell someone is reaching the end of their life i would be because they become very weak and have a noticeable change in their behaviour?

ReputationRep:
    My mum was shown a film of a post mortem on her first day of nurse training. Surprisingly no-one left!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinglepupskye)
    My mum was shown a film of a post mortem on her first day of nurse training. Surprisingly no-one left!

we can see a post-mortem in our second year, i think they like us to have experience of patients 'dying' first before experiencing the journey after

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackieS)
    I've had quite a few patients who have died whilst on the ward......can't say I've ever noticed a smell but I thnik sometimes you can just look at someone and they just look like they're dying.........can't put my fingers on exactly what it is about them that makes you think it but you just "know"

The more you experience patients dying the more you will start to notice consistencies which you can look for in others
    not to insult but u do know how hilarious that sounds.
    1"die dammit all the nurses are laughing at me for not experiencing the death of a person"2"haha i seen 520 people die"rest if the nurses*experiences about the death of patients as they are snacking on doritos or nuts*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    1"die dammit all the nurses are laughing at me for not experiencing the death of a person"2"haha i seen 520 people die"rest if the nurses*experiences about the death of patients as they are snacking on doritos or nuts*
    I fail to see what's funny. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    don't see anything hilarious personally and your post makes no sense at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackieS)
    don't see anything hilarious personally and your post makes no sense at all

THIS :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    I find it rather funny but its really not something we should joke about.
    :rofl:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.