Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How have you, personally, lost out or benefitted from having a Labour government? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Although some of us would have lived under a Tory government, we are far too young to recall how it was to live under them. However, from accounts of various people, the general consensus was that life was hard and unfair.

However, we all have lived under a Labour government for the last 12 years, and so I ask you, how have you, personally, lost out? And what have you benefitted from?

ReputationRep:
    Labour and Conservative are to be honest not that particularly far apart on the political spectrum anyway (considering how distant their notions and policies are from say lib dems or greens or the BNP). Conservative are just slightly worse, and tbh I think we'd have been slightly worse off socially wise under the tories, but I don't really have any particular things to say regarding benefits or losses that I have suffered from. Except perhaps the lack of housing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    Although some of us would have lived under a Tory government, we are far too young to recall how it was to live under them. However, from accounts of Labour Supporters and Miners, the general consensus was that life was hard and unfair.
    Fixed

Lost out: tuition fees
    Benefited: economic boom - but obviously not anymore, the above are still very much there though

ReputationRep:
    Benefited from:
    Minimum wage (many people conveniently ignore that one).
    Higher student loans

Lost out:
    Top up tuition fees

ReputationRep:
    Can't think of anything I know that I've particularly lost or gained personally (most likely because I don't know what Labour have really done!). :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    Fixed
    No. From most people who I've spoken to about the Tory governments, like teachers.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    Tuition Fees!

Rawrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

ReputationRep:
    Don't assume that they are close together guys. When Labour introduced a minimum wage, William Hague called it the "height of irresponsibility". When Blair wanted to get 50% of people going to uni rather than something like 10%, Conservatives jeered. You get the point.

Personally:

BENEFITS
    1) My GP's clinic is open at the weekends and in evenings. I can now see a Doctor when I am working.
    2) I am the first in my family to go to university, and will be the first to get a professional job. Might not have had that opportunity without Labour.
    3) Mother was able to get a operation fairly quickly, I have benefited from the big drop in waiting times.
    4) I've directly benefited from the profitability of the city, which has benefited a lot from regulatory changes since 1997

COSTS
    1) National Insurance

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Benefited from:
    Higher student loans

Lost out:
    Top up tuition fees
    surely the saying higher loans is good is rather like feeling totally awesome after you get money back for being incorrectly taxed without realising it was yours to start with anyway

good point on the min wage though

ReputationRep:
    Pros - EMA through college!
    Cons - Tuitions fees like everyone else is saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Don't assume that they are close together guys. When Labour introduced a minimum wage, William Hague called it the "height of irresponsibility". When Blair wanted to get 50% of people going to uni rather than something like 10%, Conservatives jeered. You get the point.

Personally:

BENEFITS
    1) My GP's clinic is open at the weekends and in evenings. I can now see a Doctor when I am working.
    2) I am the first in my family to go to university, and will be the first to get a professional job. Might not have had that opportunity without Labour.
    3) Mother was able to get a operation fairly quickly, I have benefited from the big drop in waiting times.
    4) I've directly benefited from the profitability of the city, which has benefited a lot from regulatory changes since 1997

COSTS
    1) National Insurance
    David Cameron was also strongly against the National Minimum Wage.

ReputationRep:
    No. From most people who I've spoken to about the Tory governments, like teachers.
    Ok, most people who i've spoken to about it think it was pretty to similar to every other government they've lived under. Although there were a few people who thought it was awful (all teachers by the way :P), and some who loved it and wished they'd stayed in power longer. I think categorising it as "Hard and unfiar" is pretty biased, that certainly isn't the general consensus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Benefited from:
    Higher student loans

Lost out:
    Top up tuition fees
    It's bad economics. Many will have also suffered from it.

ReputationRep:
    Lost out because I now have to pay for my university fees and my parents have less cash due to taxes meaning I get less material posessions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    Ok, most people who i've spoken to about it think it was pretty to similar to every other government they've lived under. Although there were a few people who thought it was awful (all teachers by the way :P), and some who loved it and wished they'd stayed in power longer. I think categorising it as "Hard and unfiar" is pretty biased, that certainly isn't the general consensus.
    I clearly stated from the people who enlightened me about the Tory government of the 80s and early 90s, that it was a general feeling. Besides, I think the hammering that the Tories faced in 1997 was concrete proof.

ReputationRep:
    Did you talk to people in IB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bax-man)
    It's bad economics. Many will have also suffered from it.
    Rubbish. The only bad economics comes from those who try to directly apply the simple supply/demand analysis of commodity markets to labour markets. In the labour market there is an awful lot of leeway as to what people are paid. Employers have control at the bottom end of the labour market: its a unique market because supply always exceeds demand, and supply remains pretty fixed.

The evidence is that the NMW had negligible effects on unemployment - I don't think its correct to say many suffered from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Did you talk to people in IB?
    No, just my normal school teachers. Not a single one had any praise for the Tory governments.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.