Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :ghdes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalicious)
    1.) is it ok to apply with my grades. I will be predicted a 2.i
    Yes.

2.) do u think 4yr or 5yr would be better
    Four year is better in that there's more of a financial incentive (NHS paying fees for years 2-4) however it's also very competitive. I wouldn't apply to more than one or two four year courses. Five year courses will work out more expensive but are less competitive.

3.) what unis have academic cut off marks? like i heard liverpool u need to have at least a 65.
    You have? I've not heard of this, as far as I know, a 2:1 is a 2:1.

4.)what unis do u think i have the best chance
    I think your chances are fairly equal wherever you apply if you fulfill their requirements. After that it's really a bit of luck and good fortune you'll need.

I mean 3rd year carries more than half of the final degree result so i have time to push my grades up substantially but will i even make it to interview stage? tis the many questions i have/
    Maybe you will, it's not all about grades, you have lots of work experience and extra curriculars, I'm sure with a decent personal statement you'll stand a good chance of getting an interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Yes.

Four year is better in that there's more of a financial incentive (NHS paying fees for years 2-4) however it's also very competitive. I wouldn't apply to more than one or two four year courses. Five year courses will work out more expensive but are less competitive.

You have? I've not heard of this, as far as I know, a 2:1 is a 2:1.

I think your chances are fairly equal wherever you apply if you fulfill their requirements. After that it's really a bit of luck and good fortune you'll need.

Maybe you will, it's not all about grades, you have lots of work experience and extra curriculars, I'm sure with a decent personal statement you'll stand a good chance of getting an interview

Thanks alot, but apparently good grades are a major factor in the selection process. *sigh* but yea some unis have academic cutoffs which they dont include in their prospectus or online so its best u call.Liverpool is one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalicious)
    Thanks alot, but apparently good grades are a major factor in the selection process. *sigh* but yea some unis have academic cutoffs which they dont include in their prospectus or online so its best u call.Liverpool is one of them.
    A 2:1 is good

Requirments for Graduates entering five year courses:

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=12

Requirements for graduates entering four year course:

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11

As you can see, most places want a 2:1. And whilst that's important, all the other stuff on your application form is important too.

ReputationRep:
    the liverpool 65% is true - its on their website, well it was when i had a look at their prospectus when i wanted to apply to them last year. They also have quite strict requirements for gcses and alevels too - though im not sure if this was for their gep course specifically, or all their medical courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Five year courses will work out more expensive but are less competitive.
    Not always the case - BL 5 year as a grad is more competative than Warwick (GEP), and there are 5 year courses more competitive than us...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Not always the case - BL 5 year as a grad is more competative than Warwick (GEP), and there are 5 year courses more competitive than us...
    Sorry, I meant "on general".

ReputationRep:
    yea i heard about BL GRADUATE ENTRY course being competitive they only hv 50 places so im not surprised. i hope i have a chance dont want to waste time and ALOT of money!x

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Could do with some help/advice if anyone is willing

I am third year psychology student - one more year to go. I have decided that I would rather do med. :woo: I knew I had made a mistake with Psych from the very first day and even though I had the marks for medicine and it was as easy to drop out and start over I continued with it because I had wanted to do it for such a long time and I felt I needed to give it a chance. 3 years later I know it is not what I want to do with the rest of my life.
    I need help with my options if anyone has the time, that would be great
    I am an irish student - with my leaving cert results (your equivalent of A-levels) I have 590 (out of 600) - with my subjects - Biology A1, Economics, A1, Business, A1, English, A1, Irish A1, French A2, Maths B2.
    With my degree it will be expected to graduate with a 1.1- my marks are First year -78%, second year, 75% and I spend this year in an Austrian University as i did an ERASMUS (based in psychophysiology) there I however do not know my marks for this yet.
    I have Entrance scholarship, 2 university scholarships and I am spending my summer doing undergraduate neuroscience research in the royal college of surgeons in Ireland on Schizophrenia, which is based in a psychiatry dept...my supervisor is however is a psychiatrist and has offered to help me get experience. However, this is the height of my clinical experience, have a little voluntary work but, not a lot.

Guys, is my experience too little to realistically apply for 2010 entry?
    Is my leaving cert and degree not scientific enough?
    Should I apply for 4 year Graduate entry(although, i know I am restricted with Psych being my undergrad. But I am eligible for places like kings colleeg in London) or would I be better to apply for 5year??

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks so much for taking the time to read this
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, at a lot of places, the 2.i just seems to get your foot in the door, a lot of weighting goes on your extra curriculars, 'suitability' to medicine, your UKCAT/GAMSAT and so on. Academic ability doesn't count for that much (generally - bar imperial, etc), they appear to be more interested in what you can offer outside that.

You seem to have a lot of that kind of thing (a LOT more than I did) so on paper you look like a good candidate. Also, there isn't anywhere on the UCAS form for modules etc (unless I never found it?!), only predicted degree class and tutor reference, so unless you're applying with degree in hand (eg Liverpool GEM, Leeds?), then generally a 2.i is a 2.i. If you are averaging a low 2.i perhaps try a little positive spin in the reference.

I'd sit the UKCAT and/or GAMSAT and see how you do. Avoid certain places if your UKCAT score isn't great (this applies more for GEP courses than 5 years) - a handful of friends of mine were averaging firsts, had loads of work exp, extra currics, but 'okay' UKCATs (~610-50) and failed to get to the interview stage (applied to 4 GEPs though, mind you). Some unis put a lot more weighting on it than others. I think there's a thread somewhere, but Kings and Barts are ones to avoid if your UKCAT isn't as high as you'd like. Mine was 685 and apparently only just made the cut off for Barts GEM. Avoid Southampton unless you're confident you have an excellent written application (they don't interview I hear)

This cycle I applied for three 4 years and one 5 year, and got offers from 2 GEP and the 5 year. As someone else mentioned, the GEPs have the incentive of tuition fees being paid by the NHS (5th year only for the 5 year), but it also depends where you're applying... e.g. living costs for a GEP in london could offset the tuition fee saving, etc.

I know it sounds obvious, but try and have a think about where you'd like to live, too... for example I applied to Warwick along with everyone else, just on the basis that they had a huge amount of GEM places. But when I actually arrived there on interview day, while the people at the medical school were brilliant and couldn't have been more friendly, I -really- hated the area (city girl it seems), and even though they offered me a place, I couldn't imagine myself living there for the next 4+ years of my life. My own fault for not doing the research.

Good luck anyhow. !

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.