Turn on thread page Beta

Alcoholic father, upset mother...advice? watch

ReputationRep:
    Long post alert! If this is the wrong place, please move it mods

Basically, my dad drinks every day and it transforms his personality from someone nice, friendly, agreeable, to someone who constantly upsets my mother and my sister by either ignoring them completely or saying really hurtful things to them. I'm 20, so luckily I'm not around most of the time, but when I'm back home it's painfully obvious how much he upsets everyone in my family. My mother tonight pretty much told me that she's still with him for the sake of my youngest sister who's 11. Naturally he won't admit he has a problem and the few times my mother's tried to say anything to him (this happened when I was a lot younger) he is incredibly mean to her. She'd hate it to be brought up again for the sake of peace in the family, but I hate the hurt he causes to her. I know I hsould be saying something to him as I'm old enough, but he would probably go absolutely mental and refuse to speak to me for years, not to mention the arguments would reduce my mother to a quivering wreck. Does anyone have any experience here of this sort of situation? Am I going to have to grow a set and confront him about it, or can anybody recommend another idea? Thanks...

ReputationRep:
    More vodka?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    More vodka?
    yer great idea

/sarcasm

ReputationRep:
    Confront him. You shouldn't be afriad of your own dad. When he is sober, tell it to him how it is. Possibly introduce the idea that this problem may stem to a divorce? Might make him pay more attention I dunno

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.