Turn on thread page Beta

sex drive/affection linked to self esteem? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Interesting, obviously it seems different for everyone, for me I use it as form of stress relief, I think many men are similar. On the odd occasion I've been highly depressed before a w**k and ended up aborting one half way through for a small cry (to be fair to me, this was just after being dumped from an 18 month relationship).

But does that mean my sex drive was high, or that I just started trying to **** to cope with things?
    Had my sex drive been high would I not gone looking for sex instead of staying in...

...I think it depends if people are used to being in a relationship as well or not, because when you are and you're sad, at least when I am, I like a lot of affection, be it sexual or non-sexual.

I wonder what that exactly means though.
    I didn't mean it as drastic as you get sad, and then all of a sudden your sex drive increases. I meant more like in general. If you feel your not a decent person and feel unwanted and unloved by people, when you are with someone, you will be wanting alot of affection and intimacy, sex included.

I guess it just depends on the individual person and how they deal with things

ReputationRep:
    I think there's some truth in this too. It's quite interesting to think about it, actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondyx)
    I didn't mean it as drastic as you get sad, and then all of a sudden your sex drive increases. I meant more like in general. If you feel your not a decent person and feel unwanted and unloved by people, when you are with someone, you will be wanting alot of affection and intimacy, sex included.

I guess it just depends on the individual person and how they deal with things
    Oh that was just one situation, I think it applies to both, general and specific ones, e.g. you come home you eel lonely in general, you have some form of routine perhaps, which includes a sexual release of some kind.
    And you feel a pressure from a certain situation and have a release for it.
    But I'm talking from my personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    wait was she saying her ex thought she was ugly or that she thought her ex was ugly, it looks ambiguous to me...
    ...and I was asking because I assumed it was her talking about her ex, not for any jokey reasons though (although I may make jokes later).
    She implied that her ex went for unattractive people to make himself feel better, so I made the joke tha-

Never mind, it's been explained now, it's gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beatletaxman)
    She implied that her ex went for unattractive people to make himself feel better, so I made the joke tha-

sorry>_<
    I'm a bit slow at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Yeah sort of. Not so sure about the sex drive part. It's more feeling secure, kissing and just being close than actual sex, well, what I've seen http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/yes.gif
    :yep: I talk as an insecure *******. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beatletaxman)

She meant that her ex was unattractive and tries to get with lots of people to make himself feel better

ReputationRep:
    She meant that her ex was unattractive and tries to get with lots of people to make himself feel better
    but perhaps I'm not the only slow one today...

ReputationRep:
    but perhaps I'm not the only slow one today...
    Me and beatletaxman said different things..

ReputationRep:
    Me and beatletaxman said different things..
    I meant you both can't be right... not that you're slow, sorry

ReputationRep:
    When im "down" I want to be left alone, last thing I want is attention and sex. So a negative correlation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    When im "down" I want to be left alone, last thing I want is attention and sex. So a negative correlation.
    I was referring to how you feel about yourself in general (personality, looks, how others feel about you) than a feeling down mood.

ReputationRep:
    I was referring to how you feel about yourself in general (personality, looks, how others feel about you) than a feeling down mood.
    Same difference, still dont want sex!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Same difference, still dont want sex!
    permanent insecurity is different than feeling down one day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachykeen09)
    Why is that bad? just wondering..
    Well they should enjoy sex, but its not really an issue unless they end up sleeping around and never finding the emotional satisfaction and security they are looking for. Then it seems rather sad for them. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with sleeping around if it makes you happy and youre careful enough to never catch anything or get unintentionally pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    I have low self esteem and therefore avoid sex for insecurity reasons. OH and no one wants it with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Symbea)
    I have low self esteem and therefore avoid sex for insecurity reasons. OH and no one wants it with me.
    how could they not want to? your a cancer, everyone loves a cancer :o:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.