Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just finished AS levels.
    Can I not apply for Uni this year, go on a gap year with BUNAC to work in Australia, and then come back to the UK and apply for 2011 entry?
    How would I go about this because I wont be doing it through sixth form? Just do it through UCAS?
    Does anyone know roughly when I will start appyling for 2011 entry?

I have googled the death and cant find anything, 6th form have not said anything.

I dont want to apply this year because I'm doing resits.

ReputationRep:
    Well as far as I know you can apply in September time (2009) and on your application form you select that you're doing a gap year. This way you can still do your gap year and if you get your grades your place has already been confirmed.

ReputationRep:
    Just tick the 'deferred entry' box on UCAS and apply this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rscully)
    Just tick the 'deferred entry' box on UCAS and apply this year.

So I dont apply or declare my grades this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by co_co_vogue)
    So I dont apply or declare my grades this year?
    Do everything as though you were starting in September 2010, your sixth form should be helping you and your classmates out with all that - I can't remember the specifics - just remember to tick the 'deferred entry' box (I think it used to be on the same page as choosing your course).

ReputationRep:
    You can apply on your own without your sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rscully)
    Do everything as though you were starting in September 2010, your sixth form should be helping you and your classmates out with all that - I can't remember the specifics - just remember to tick the 'deferred entry' box (I think it used to be on the same page as choosing your course).
    This will not be a good idea for her because I think she wants to apply after she has her grades as she's been predicted low grades.

OP you could apply twice if you don't get into the uni you want (before and after you have your results).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's worth applying this year and deferring your entry - that way, if it doesn't work out the way you want, you can try again while you're on your year out. : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon12345)
    This will not be a good idea for her because I think she wants to apply after she has her grades as she's been predicted low grades.

OP you could apply twice if you don't get into the uni you want (before and after you have your results).
    Ahh, I missed the edited part. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StandingOnAir)
    It's worth applying this year and deferring your entry - that way, if it doesn't work out the way you want, you can try again while you're on your year out. : )

Yeah but I'm going to get my grades up by resitting and then plan to apply to somewhere a bit better.

Does anyone know if it would look 'better' if I just applied during my gap year rather than re-applying because of rejections?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but I'm going to get my grades up by resitting and then plan to apply to somewhere a bit better.

Does anyone know if it would look 'better' if I just applied during my gap year rather than re-applying because of rejections?
    If you think you might get rejected this time despite the fact you're going to get better grades than your predictions, apply next year... or you could convince your teachers to give you better predictions and apply now.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

There's no harm in applying the first time round. If you end up applying to the same unis again during your gap year (having been rejected), they'll consider your application anew - if you apply to different ones, they won't know you've applied before unless you tell them.

ReputationRep:
    What month will application for 2011 entry start?

ReputationRep:
    You can still apply through your sixth form even if u've graduated. Talk to your head of sixth form. Besides you will need a reference from them anyway so you'll have to keep in contact.

The application period for every year unless stated otherwise is September-January so it'll be the same for 2011 entry

ReputationRep:
    Will I have to be in the UK to apply, if I dont go to open days or have interviews, or can I just do it through the UCAS website?
    I dont want to keep coming back to the UK if I go abroad.

Yes you can do it through the UCAS website as long as you have intenet access anywhere you go and as along as you are not needed by the universities for interviews etc

ReputationRep:
    we are doing the very same thing! (probably)
    ive just done as levels, and want to do BUNAC work Australia then go to uni in 2011.

You apply when the rest of your year does, except you tick 'deferred entry'. (In the Choices section of Apply 2010, when you're enterring your course choices there will be a 'deferred entry' box to tick). most unis are fine with deferred entries, but its best to check.

mabye see you there eh:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcus H)
    we are doing the very same thing! (probably)
    ive just done as levels, and want to do BUNAC work Australia then go to uni in 2011.

You apply when the rest of your year does, except you tick 'deferred entry'. (In the Choices section of Apply 2010, when you're enterring your course choices there will be a 'deferred entry' box to tick). most unis are fine with deferred entries, but its best to check.

mabye see you there eh:p:
    Sounds like the same thing

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the same thing
    kewel
    it may be a bit pricey but i bet it'll be worth it:p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.