Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most romantic gesture you've given or received. Watch

ReputationRep:
    A couple of years ago my girlfriend had seen a bracelet she really liked, and her birthday was only a week away or so. I hinted on purpose that her birthday wasn't far away when she said how much she'd liked it.

I got it for her, but after wrapping it, I wrapped that box in a bigger box with padding, and that box in a bigger box, and so on for about 5 boxes. until the box was slightly bigger than a football-ish size.

I'm not sure if it was romantic but I thought it was fun. :3

That was before I gave up on romance and realised i'll never meet someone nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sprout.)
    Hahaha Caron Ann Duffy. I totally remember doing her loads in GCSE era. (And saw her perform poetry live, winner).
    I KNEW I'd heard that story before :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Can I borrow that idea for Valentines day? It would go down a treat with my girlfriend.
    On behalf of all women, please don't buy your girlfriend an onion...
    Unless, of course, she likes onions so much it would beat presents like photo albums, heart holding teddies and chocolates.

Most romantic gesture I've ever recieved would probably be the guy who fell over on our first date, into my lap, looked up at me, laughed, and said "I guess I'm just falling for you..". Oh wait, that was the most vomit-inducing.
    The ex who helped me bake and ice a cake for my mum's birthday scores quite highly. And made me my own birthday cake for my fourteenth birthday. Ah, young love.
    Er, I don't seem to do romantic gestures myself. Swallowed? Does that count? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha Caron Ann Duffy. I totally remember doing her loads in GCSE era. (And saw her perform poetry live, winner).
    oh I thought he was being original.
    I studied duffy at GCSE too (as saw her live). Now that I mention it, seeing her live I thought she was awful. Read the whole poem devoid of any emotion.

Good poet though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettylittlerichgirl)
    On behalf of all women, please don't buy your girlfriend an onion...
    Unless, of course, she likes onions so much it would beat presents like photo albums, heart holding teddies and chocolates.

Most romantic gesture I've ever recieved would probably be the guy who fell over on our first date, into my lap, looked up at me, laughed, and said "I guess I'm just falling for you..". Oh wait, that was the most vomit-inducing.
    The ex who helped me bake and ice a cake for my mum's birthday scores quite highly. And made me my own birthday cake for my fourteenth birthday. Ah, young love.
    Er, I don't seem to do romantic gestures myself. Swallowed? Does that count? :rolleyes:
    What about buying a teddy, and tape the teddy bears hands to an onion. It would be like a teddy bear offering her an onion. Good idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    oh I thought he was being original.
    I studied duffy at GCSE too (as saw her live). Now that I mention it, seeing her live I thought she was awful. Read the whole poem devoid of any emotion.

Good poet though.
    All I remember of when I saw her live was me and my mates thinking she was a man-hater-lesbian.

...and laughing at the grumpy boy in our class who never smiled, and the time we saw him smile for the first time ever. That's how thrilling old Carol was.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get the whole romantic thing.

I have a logic machine where my heart should be.

ReputationRep:
    All I remember of when I saw her live was me and my mates thinking she was a man-hater-lesbian.

...and laughing at the grumpy boy in our class who never smiled, and the time we saw him smile for the first time ever. That's how thrilling old Carol was.
    If I remember I think somebody subtly asked her whether she was a lesbian or not (I think it was a girl, and asked in a way so not to offend her). She avoided answering it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    If I remember I think somebody subtly asked her whether she was a lesbian or not (I think it was a girl, and asked in a way so not to offend her). She avoided answering it.

Well, there's the answer we most desperately needed.

Simon Armitage however, HELLO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    What about buying a teddy, and tape the teddy bears hands to an onion. It would be like a teddy bear offering her an onion. Good idea?
    Beautiful idea. I can't think of anything any girl would rather recieve.

ReputationRep:
    Well, there's the answer we most desperately needed.

Simon Armitage however, HELLO.
    Armitage was the best there in terms of reading the poems well (except for that guy that went on about being half cast. He was very funny, lol.)

ReputationRep:
    He took me to a really posh restaurant for my 21st because I'd said that I wanted to go there but I'd never be allowed in because the celebrities go there. He went mad and booked the table there and then, he said that he wasn't having me thinking like that because nobody was better than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    That's odd, she is openly lesbian, no doubt about it, and even has a life partner I think (or at least did...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    That's odd, she is openly lesbian, no doubt about it, and even has a life partner I think (or at least did...)
    Well at that time she didn't. I think she was in quite a bad mood on that day. She didn't sound cheery.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote (by hand might I add, :eek: :eek3: I know!) a geeky love letter expressing my devotion to a female friend I really liked at the time, that was extremely geeky and physics based, which took a few hours to think of. Unfortunately she didn't appreciate it and just gave it back to me!

ReputationRep:
    An ex was on his way to meet me on Valentine's Day once, and he got jumped by two guys that mugged him and beat the crap out of him. He still got on a bus, and drew a rose for me on his way to meet me. When he came up to me, I was all :eek: at the way he looked, but he was very cool... gave me the drawing and casually said "It was supposed to be real but I got mugged 20 minutes ago."

It was just cute and sort of amusing since I don't care about V Day at all.
    I'm not that romantic, though... can't say I've ever made any grand gestures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    I gave half of my sandwich to my girlfriend.

Romantic I know
    Are you Joey ?:eek:

ReputationRep:
    awwh threads like this make me feel like crap i got nothing, my ex boyfriend thought teddies and chocolates were the height of romance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XDaydreamer)
    awwh threads like this make me feel like crap i got nothing, my ex boyfriend thought teddies and chocolates were the height of romance
    :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mf2004)
    Are you Joey ?:eek:
    Did Joey do that in Friends? I don't watch friends much, so I guarantee I didn't get that idea from friends (in fact I did actually in real life give half my sandwich to my girlfriend. I imagine a lot of people have perhaps done the same thing (then again it is a pretty romantic gesture, lol))

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.