Turn on thread page Beta

Effect of youth reprimand on visa to America watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyplayinsamoan)
    Ive been having the same dilemma with you.

Ive been given a REPRIMAND for a minor assault in December last year for a little scrap with a friend. He started it but one came out black and blue, so his mother decided to call the police because she was scared I would do it again. The police only called my parents to inform them what happened and booked a date for me to go to the police station. The police that interviewed me said I wasnt arrested and only reprimanded due to the fact that the assualt only gave him a hairline fracture which is considered a more minor offense than theft (ironic). But on the visa waiver program form thing I dont no whether to put yes or no. Dilemma. Im leaving on the 23rd of august aswell. Dont no whta to do? I guess i can put no because I wasnt arrest or convicted at all logicaly but im scared the rep[rimand might red flag me when they eye scan and finger print scan me when i enter the border lol How its going for you anyways atm?
    Its almost certainly too late for you to get a visa now. Just answer no and hope; it would be unlikely that they would know of a reprimand.

ReputationRep:
    You were 14 years old when you shoplifted so the follwing US Law Applies:

9 FAM 40.21(a) N9.4-1 Under Age 15
    (CT:VISA-1318; 09-24-2009)
    Juveniles, who were under the age of 15 at the time of omission of acts
    constituting a delinquency, are not to be considered as having been
    convicted of a crime. Therefore, no alien may be found inadmissible under
    INA 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(I) by reason of any offense committed prior to the
    alien’s 15th birthday

You have to declare this arrest and apply for ACPO Police certificare. When the police certificate comes back if you are over 18 and the offense has stepped down it will show as No Live Trace..this means you had something on your record that has been stepped down. For US immigration purposes nothing ever steps down, so they will ask what was on your record.

You will need to contact the police station and ask for Duty Inspector and ask for a copy of the reprimand, or ask the solicitor you used for a copy of their records.

It was a CIMT for shop lifting but you were under 15 at the time.

ReputationRep:
    Would it be possible for you to post the outcome of this dilemma so others can learn from it?

ReputationRep:
    please let us know what happened/what you claimed, i'm in a similar boat thanks x

ReputationRep:
    you don't need to tell them about it; I have a us visa and they never found out about my caution.

ReputationRep:
    I got a police reprimand 6 years ago when I was 14 for criminal damage. I have been to the U.S. every year since and have not declared it. I have had no trouble with going in and out of the country, going through all the procedures (finger prints and iris scans), and nothing has flagged up so I would guess it should be the same with you, but I'd say for reassurance purposes for you to go to the embassy and see what the deal is.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.