Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Keep anon.

My sister after a couple of bad experiences with a guy has become ultra religious as a way of dealing with it. Truth to be told it was her fault as much as his and she knew what she was doing. Anyway, since becoming ULTRA religious she has been enforcing her views onto me at any given opportunity. If I challenge her, she becomes argumentative, gets irritated and starts telling me how I will go to hell etc. Furthermore, outside of religion, she has no scope, all she EVER talks about is the religion.

For the most part I dont mind her being this religious, but I hate the way she is turning into a preacher of some sort. I can't tell her to stop doing that because she takes offense. What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    Avoid her like a plague of locusts.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to watch The Da Vinci Code

(Original post by impervious)
    I can't...she is my sis. And plus she has never always been like this, its quite crazy how she has become.

ReputationRep:
    know the situation well has recently happend in my family too. not really much you can do apart from just smile and nod really and leave them to it. Knowing some Bible verses to contradict her can help but theres always a risk that will just add fuel to the fire.

Just try keeping calm and saying that while you appreciate her stand on religion that it's not for you and you'd prefer to just follow your own paqth in life.

or if she really annoys you just come out as a devil worshiper, should keep her at bay for a bit

ReputationRep:
    'Baptise' her.

Oh no, she drowned.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I can't...she is my sis. And plus she has never always been like this, its quite crazy how she has become.
    That's what religion will do... You probably will not be able to talk sense into her, doing so will probably only make her more determined. If your not prepared to ignore her then I suggest you get used to it and hope it is just a phase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MO-M-G)
    'Baptise' her.

Oh no, she drowned.
    lol I laughed :yep:

ReputationRep:
    just ask her what has made her this religious, and why she believes that. then explain what you believe.
    possibly throw a richard dawkins quote in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    Haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Keep anon.

My sister after a couple of bad experiences with a guy has become ultra religious as a way of dealing with it. Truth to be told it was her fault as much as his and she knew what she was doing. Anyway, since becoming ULTRA religious she has been enforcing her views onto me at any given opportunity. If I challenge her, she becomes argumentative, gets irritated and starts telling me how I will go to hell etc. Furthermore, outside of religion, she has no scope, all she EVER talks about is the religion.

For the most part I dont mind her being this religious, but I hate the way she is turning into a preacher of some sort. I can't tell her to stop doing that because she takes offense. What can I do?
    Option 1: Invite Richard Dawkins and Chris Hitchens round for tea and then let them deal with it? Maybe they can perform a kind of atheist Exorcism? Club her round the head with the Origin of Species until she gets some sense or something?

Option 2: Pick an opposing religion. If she's Catholic you can pick Muslim. If she's Protestant you can pick Catholic. If she's Jewish you can pretty much pick anything you like. Then start a religious war. It won't really bring you closer but at least you'll be spending some time with her/ shooting at her/ desecrating her holy lands.

Option 3: Claim you're actually more religious than her. If she asks why you never pray claim you have a personal hotline to God and don't need to. If she asks any more questions claim she's not pious enough and burn her at the stake.

Option 4: Get her to convert to fundamentalist Islam. Then, since you're the male member of the household she won't be able to do anything without your say so. Make the most of a bad situation by forcing her to do all your menial tasks.

Option 5: Find her a new boyfriend. Preferably one who's hot, has a dominant personality and is either Atheist or wishy washy religious. She might forget about the guy who dumped her. Or she might bend him to her will and then you'll have two nutters to deal with. This is kind of a risky strategy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.