Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ok if you are to find out very early you are pregnant e.g a week after unprotected sex and need to have an abortion how does it work? are you just given a pill?

ReputationRep:
    google?
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Abortio...performed.aspx

ReputationRep:
    There are different ways, depending on how far you are along.

Tbh it is in your best interest to go to the doctors and discuss your options with them, they are the best to advise you on what will go on and how it take place.

ReputationRep:
    They suck it out with a vacuum cleaner.

ReputationRep:
    You have to see two doctors before you're allowed an abortion, then you go to a clinic for a tablet and then you go the next day for the second one and then you get sent home and you expel the fetus, some say its best to do this in a bath rather than sit on the toilet.

If its after nine weeks then you have to have a surgical abortion.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty simple from what I've heard, but I can't imagine it's very pleasant.
    Just go to your GP and ask - although I think it still requires the approval of two different doctors, if you're young or naive then you'll more than likely be approved.
    Then, they give you two tablets - the second is 24 hours after the first, after which you have an enormous period! It sounds horrible, but if you're considering abortion its obviously far better than the alternative.

ReputationRep:
    In RE last year everyone was shown a video of the 'vacuum cleaner' method, where they crush the head with pincers and suck out all the pieces.

Except my class wasn't shown it as our teacher said something like: "it is disgusting, and you'll never be getting an abortion, so you don't need to know, and I refuse to let you watch it"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    In RE last year everyone was shown a video of the 'vacuum cleaner' method, where they crush the head with pincers and suck out all the pieces.

Except my class wasn't shown it as our teacher said something like: "it is disgusting, and you'll never be getting an abortion, so you don't need to know, and I refuse to let you watch it"
    That is an awful thing to do! It is not going to make you less likely to havce an abortion, just make you feel worse if you do! And someone watching that will have gone on to have a termination, there's no doubt about it. In my RS class my teacher just said 'sex before marriage is wrong, but fun'. She was 65. I am still traumatised at the thought.

Also I think I remember reading in the news recently that the rules had been changed so that ow you only need one doctor (to save time as they take so long to organise).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do OP, make sure it is the right decision for you, don't let anyone else pressure you into a certain choice, it is your life and your body! Best wishes

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.