Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...that is on top of the job I already have.

I have two and a half months before uni and I really need to earn as much cash as possible. Ok so I already have one job but I only get one or rarely two shifts at the weekend, and a couple of hours here and there through the week. Quitting this job isn't an option as I've been working there 9 months and really enjoy it plus they are really flexible with shifts ie I can easily book off holidays and/or switch days at the weekend (I have no contract).

So I'm considering looking for another job for maybe 3-4 weekdays a week (mon-fri). Thing is I worry that employers be put of that I'm off to uni late September, and will be put off that I can only work weekdays. There is also the possibility that my current employer may ask me to work the odd weekday in which case my shifts could overlap.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, or if anyone has been in a similar suggestion. Also will my current employer mind if I take up another job on top of the one I have?

ReputationRep:
    As you have no contract (wtf is that all about?!), then your current employer cannot have any issues with you having another job. However, your new employer might have an issue with you working for your current employer (a lot of companies have it written into their contracts that you must have written permission from them to have a 2nd job)

That said, if you think your current employer is flexible enough, then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    im in a pretty similar situation
    i have a job which gives me a couple of shifts a week at most and is really flexible (no contract i assume because they phone me when im needed?)

i have another job which gives me a couple of days in the week but is daytimes so hopefully shifts never overlap and they have no problem with me only working weekdays.

if you can find another job in the current sitaution go for it i say
    people aren't keen on hiring if they know you are going to uni but some still do (or lie :s ) !

I can't see why your employer would mind too much about having second jobs considering its just student part-time work and flexible at that.

good luck with it

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.